• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Zelda Ripoff?

The Best Zelda ripoff doesnt necessarily HAVE to be a 100% ripoff, but which Zelda-like game do you think is best?

Mine would have to be BrainLord, for the SNES. Noone seems to remember this game. It was developed by Enix, (NOT Square Enix, but Enix before it joine Square.), and was pretty much zelda with jumping, and more action, better graphics, etc. I consider it as good as any zelda game, (Which is a rank i dont give away often).

Ive never beaten this game, but i plan to, its really hard, :P

The puzzles in this game make the title "BrainLord". There are math puzzles, block buzzles, ball puzzles, (Rolling blocks, pretty much ice block puzzles)

I really suggest if anyone uses an emulator, start this game up, and play it until you get through the first dungeon. It will be great.

Huh. I was about to tell you to shut up about Starfox since these were Zelda ripoffs, until i read the last sentence. :P

What about it made it like Zelda?

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
What about it made it like Zelda?

I would answer that question, but someone else already answered it better than me.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/371/371929p1.html

Or if you don't want to read the whole thing, just read this:

Rare has adopted the Zelda control scheme nearly verbatim so that Fox is manipulated and functions exactly as Link would with a modification here and there for good measure. Fox moves identically, can roll, pull out his staff and fight, while special functions (shooting fire, transforming into an enemy disguise) can be mapped handily to the Y button for quick access. McCloud, like Link, cannot be made to jump manually -- it's automatic, and it still works triumphantly. The biggest difference in the setup is that in Zelda the Z-trigger was used to lock-on and target enemies while in SFA it's done automatically. This is largely a beneficial addition. The setup, as a whole, is one of the best in a third-person adventure game, just as it was for Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.
Star Fox Adventures is an epic undertaking -- a perfect companion to the Zelda series. Fox sets down in ThornTail Hollow, a green-filled, peaceful hub world with various dinosaurs grazing about. It's not nearly as large or impressive as Hyrule Field was when gamers first saw it on N64, but it's ambitious nonetheless.

The puzzle challenges, some of the biggest appeals in these types of titles, come as something of a mixed bag. There are some that are cleverly executed with thoughtful regard for players. These will definitely remind adventurers of the puzzles in the Zelda series, and there is a tangible sense of satisfaction after completing them.
http://cube.ign.com/articles/371/371929p1.html#ixzz11ftPIAR1

Star Fox Adventures arrives as a truly excellent 3D action-adventure for GameCube owners. It's a clear Zelda rip, and not quite as good, but that's okay in my book as Rare has still done a pretty good job of it. There's lots of exploration to be had, character building elements, fun puzzles and not so fun puzzles, and some amazingly beautiful worlds to see and visit. Rare's technology is practically unparalleled.
http://cube.ign.com/articles/371/371929p2.html#ixzz11fttwnzM

Keyshe

Whoo are youu?
Shadow of the Colossus. It's a fantasy game with sword and bow, your character travels to a forbidden temple where there is a great power sealed. You are bringing a dead girl with you to try to use the power to bring back her soul. Then you get there so disembodied voice speaks to you and says if you defeat all the colossus it will bring her back. The game play takes you through big expanses of land, mountains, fields, deserts. You have a horse to travel with through them, and for some battles. There are no enemies to fight except the huge colossus' which you have to use your sword to find their weak spot (and some times there are puzzles you have to solve) and climb on to them get to it, you have a stamina meter that measures how long you can hang on too.

It's not a rip off in any way, but has a feel like you find in Zelda. And Zelda TP took a lot from this game. Here a nice video. There is also the [url=www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGSt0QPX73w]ICO[/URL]. ICO is a puzzle based game with little fighting. It is like a continuous Zelda dungeon and only boss fight. Both of these are in the same world and made by the same team. ICO was made first but comes after Shadow of the Colossus in the time line. Both games are on the short side, which is the only thing bad about them in my opinion. They are stunning games, quite fun to play with beautiful music and scenery.

Last edited:

Hanyou

didn't build that
Okami, of course. It's superior to most Zelda games in most respects. It has a larger overworld, more towns, more major characters, a more engrossing story, more powers, better combat mechanics, better (and less obnoxious) dungeons, and a tone that is funny, dark, and nostalgic at all the right times. The music is also great: link

Beyond Oasis was good too, in that it exceeded the 2D Zeldas in terms of combat mechanics. But Okami takes the cake.

Shadow of the Colossus is spectacular, but I don't think it's quite that similar to Zelda. Still, I agree with Keyshe about its quality (albeit I still think Okami's better overall). Zelda needs more grandiose themes like this: link

leonardo

was once the forum's youngest member
I think probably 3d dot game heros because it relates to zelda alot. Mainly because of the commercial having the boomerang, and grappling hook. in the trailer, the big octo and lots of stuff. So I think it's a spinoff.

I wouldnt call it a spinoff, Tingles Rosy Rupeeland is a spin off, that game is more of an Homage.

Im going to look into these games, and see which ones i want. I definitely want Okami, since TP really made me love wolves, but i didnt know it was much of a ripoff of Zelda.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Okay, after reading up on it, I'm basically convinced that I need to buy a copy of Okami. But I don't have a PS2. Has anyone played the Wii version, and if so, did you have any issues with the controls?

Thanks for the rec, Hanyou, I look forward to playing.

W

Wickedm80

The best zelda ocarina of time ripoff

Hello everyone, im a big zelda ocarina of time fan, and i happened to stumbled over a game called neopets the dark faries for ps2 , and the game play is exactly the same.. The sword fighting down to the dodging moves... It is zelda but neopets just took the game n changed it to their neopet themed ... So you have your bessssttt zelda ripoff!!! Thank u ;)

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
Okay, after reading up on it, I'm basically convinced that I need to buy a copy of Okami. But I don't have a PS2. Has anyone played the Wii version, and if so, did you have any issues with the controls?

Thanks for the rec, Hanyou, I look forward to playing.

I have the Wii version of Okami and it is amazing. There were no issues with the controls for me and the game works beautifully. Trust me, go pick it up.

Claire

The Geekette
StarTropics for the NES.

The visual perspective is remarkably similar to the Legend of Zelda. While it isn't remotely similar when it comes to the actual storyline, the little details add up in making the appearance of this game make you question if you're experiencing a sense of deja vu. The gameplay is so alike, it seems like they were meant to coexist in one series line (they complimented each other much more nicely than, say, Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 2). Did Nintendo recycle the file select screen? It certainly appears that way. Some say it is without a doubt ripoff of Zelda, others say it was greatly influenced (with emphasis on great).

That being said, it is a very fun game, and for all you cool kids who have an NES hooked up to your TV - get yourself a copy. It is one of the better titles on the NES. After all, it is practically the spawn of the Legend of Zelda. Just a different story and setting.

My favorite "Zelda-type" game would have to be Dark cloud for the PS2. Idk why I liked it so much, probably because it is a badass game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom