• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Best Zelda Game to Start Speedrunning.

Speedrun

• LOZ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AOL

• ALTTP

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • LA

• OOT

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • MM

• OOS

• OOA

• WW

• FS

• FSA

• MC

• TP

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • PH

• ST

• SS

• ALBW

• Total voters
I think it all depends on which game you've played the most, I'm not a big fan of speedruns as there is some much content in every game but I did do ALBW in like 7 hours which probably isn't that fast and it was a road trip. I've heard MM can be done in like 2-3 hours if you know what your doing(main quest).

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I've always thought Majora's Mask is a good game for speed running. Personally I've never been into the whole scene or style of playing, so maybe this isn't the most popular of choices, in fact, I think A Link to the Past is one of the main games.

Anyway, I think I chose MM purely down to the concept of time. I guess with speed running comes a more strategic game as you're not only trying to just rush through the game, but do so in a way that isn't too risky. This is where I feel, with the whole time thing, that MM becomes more of a tactical battle as you don't just rely on going from point a to point b.

Last edited:

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I'd just say OoT simply because I, and many others, know that game so well. Even after all these years I can still pretty much remember the exact chain of events that leads from beginning to end, and I think speed-running comes down to knowledge more than skill.

MW7

I would lean towards earlier games in the series because they tend to be shorter and more nonlinear (so more possibilities exist for routes through the game). My personal favorite is OoT because it seems to have the most tricks and strategies devoted to it. I'm not even talking about glitches- even just glitch free speedrunning has countless tricks to it. The length of the game is important too. I speedran SS once, and it took me so long that I hardly felt like I was in a hurry. I think I had to break it into three gameplay sessions too over the course of a few days. I guess what I'm saying is keep in mind how much patience you have. I can just barely beat OoT in a single play session without getting uncomfortable, and the games with more content like WW, TP, or SS would be too much for me. Those games are built for a player who takes their time imo (of course there are some people who are just really great speedrunners who can tear through those games too).

Overall I would say any of the games MM or earlier are good fits for speedruns (although the first three games in the series take longer to become skilled at especially Zelda 2). I'm sure other games would work pretty well too. I've never tried PH or ALBW speedruns, but based on the criteria I was talking about above I would guess those would be fun to speedrun as well. It really depends on how much patience you have and which games appeal to you the most though. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would have more fun going through TP than ALttP even though without glitches ALttP is much shorter and allows for more route deviation.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
I'd say to go with OoT as far as learning to speedrun. I've played it the most, that's why I started speedrunning it.
Above all, though, pick a Zelda game you have played a decent amount and at least beat the game 100% or do a challenge run (like a 3 Heart Run) before attempting a speedrun. Plus, you have to like the game enough to want to play it many times, especially if you want to go for a world record time. It ultimately depends on how much patience you have and what your goals are.
Furthermore, you usually have to change your mindset when you speedrun. Specifically I'm talking about detaching yourself from the game world and its inhabitants. It is very common to use glitches when speedrunning, and these glitches can potentially skip large portions of the game (the Wrong Warp glitch in OoT is a perfect example; it can be used to go directly from the Deku Tree to the end of the game).
As for the type of speedrun to start with, I highly recommend trying a glitchless any% speedrun (ie. beat the game without using glitches). Then, if you wish, you can research, learn, and practice glitches or strategies ("strats") and routes for the particular game you speedrun.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Actually would say TP, the sequence breaks and other tricks were much easier for me to both learn and understand than those of OoT (which are just insane at some points). Then the game itself is overall just easier control and enemy wise. But whatever game you like the best is a good starting point, since knowledge and patience are key, and those two are less likely to find in a game you have barely touched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom