• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Zelda Game Poll 3: Ocarina of Time

Ocarina of Time vs Majora's Mask

• Ocarina of Time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Majora's Mask

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Best Zelda Game Poll 3: Ocarina of Time vs Majora's Mask

With 16 Zelda games, I figured we could now do a fair tournament to decide the best Zelda game....or...at least the most popular. Each poll will end when one of two things happen:

1) One game beats the other by 10 votes.

2) 10 days have passed.

Our current contenders are Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask
~~~

I'm sure this is going to probably be a nail bitter. While OoT may be the most popular Zelda game among the general population, Majora's Mask may very well have it beat among the Zelda Fanbase.

However, while these two are very close for me, I must choose Ocarina of Time for three reasons.

1) I prefer a main quest > side quest focus.

2) I felt Majora's Mask was a little too short.

3) Most importantly...the save system. Majora's Mask might have actually been able to take OoT's place for 3rd if it weren't for this. Some people aren't bothered with the save system, but as the owner of two copies of the Majora's Mask, I've had both freeze on me several times. It usually happens at least once per playthrough by now. I could deal with the statues and having to save at them, but the issue is that they don't really save your game. They just let you take a break...which is useless. If I need a break, I'll pause the game. What I need is a save system that will prevent me from starting over if there are problems. I can't even tell if this was a deliberate design or not...but I have no use for using the owl save system in this game. If the game freezes, my fun is ruined. And even when it doesn't, I have to play quickly, in fear that the game could freeze at any moment

Last edited:

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
i must have miss you second poll DarkestLink. what two game did you have on that poll? i was trying to keep up with this lil turney you had going on

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
i must have miss you second poll DarkestLink. what two game did you have on that poll? i was trying to keep up with this lil turney you had going on

So far we have had LoZ vs AoL and aLttP vs LA. I've been trying to pair games up with what seems like a good match up (with a leftover pair) and out of sheer coincidence, it's been moving down the line pretty smoothly.

MW7

Ocarina is an awesome game, but I just like Majora's Mask more. I loved how difficult the game was, and the dungeon design and sidequests were superb.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Although still need to finish Majora's Mask myself, I feel that Ocarina of Time was the superior game. Sure, I'm currently enjoying Majora's Mask very much, but Ocarina of Time was just too perfect for words. I loved every minute of it, and I don't base my attachment to the game on nostalgia. OoT, in my opinion, is better than MM, but that doesn't mean MM is a bad game. Both are fantastic games, but one just came out on top of the other (for me anyways).

I've only beaten Majora's Mask once and it's been years since I played it, versus Ocarina of Time which I've beaten over fifty times and probably played no more than several months ago. As such, it's a bit hard for me to tell exactly how much better one is over the other for me. However, I voted Ocarina of Time, as it seems to be a more solid and generally flawless experience than Majora's Mask. Majora's Mask was brilliant, absolutely brilliant, but its foundation did not feel as sturdy to me as Ocarina of Time's. Some of this was inherent: the rushed feel of the 3-day cycle and the limiting save system bring on all kinds of complications and inconveniences, like the game freezing on you at the end of a dungeon and forcing you to replay the whole thing because you can't save in any normal manner. On the whole, Ocarina of Time takes the prize for Best Zelda Game in my opinion, but Majora's Mask follows closely behind, opposite and almost equal to the former.

ShellShocker

adjective spaceman
I don't think this is a very hard decision for me considering that Majora's Mask is my favourite all-time game but I'll provide some justification alongside my answer.

First and foremost - a controversial topic of Majora's Mask is the 3-day mechanic. While a lot of people are infuriated and feel pressured by it, I believe it is a great addition to the game that actually contributes to the sense of urgency, horror and fear and you face. You know that everyone will die in 3 days. You know that, despite how much you help people, they will never remember it. You know that even after you save an old lady from being mugged, she's either going to die in 3 days or you're going to go straight back to the start. It really builds up the game and also opens up branches for a variety of interesting sidequests which are only accessible at certain times. It also keeps you feeling as if the game is progressing as you are so you don't feel bored and frozen in the same generic world.

Other than the the aforementioned large variety of sidequests and enjoyable perks of the game truly make it what it is. Because of the large amount of side-quests and things to do when you're bored of the main story the game rarely becomes stale and repetitive; you always have something to do that will delve you deeper into the fascinating subplots.

Finally it's hard to considering the true quality of Majora's Mask without exploring the interesting themes that it covers. I won't sugar-coat it: Majora's Mask is a dark game. It's weird and unbelievable it has a rating of "E for Everyone" in America. The game is so mysterious the sub-plots are twisted. The most notable of all the places is definitely Ikana Valley and if you don't know what I'm talking about I really recommend you replay/play the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom