• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best/Worst Paced Zelda Games

I feel like Zelda games generally have good pacing with the story progressing and not spending too much time in one area. But once in a while, you get a game that isn't as well paced as the others.

Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are well known examples of overly long introductions. I have a hard time making it through the opening sequences of both games whenever I play them. I also have to put forth Spirit Tracks as a Zelda game with poor pacing. So much happens at the start of the game and then there are three dungeons before another important story beat occurs.

As for great pacing in Zelda, both N64 Zelda games instantly come to mind. Ocarina of Time has important story beats revealed after every dungeon. There is a little less in the adult portion of the game but seeing Sheik and finding out that people you helped as a child are sages now more than makes up for it. Majora's Masks's side quests and vibrant world make sure that you never feel like the game is at a stand still. I'll also add Breath of the Wild as a well paced Zelda game, at least from a gameplay perspective, since the pacing is entirely up to you.

Which Zelda games do you think are the best paced? Which ones are the worst paced?

Reactions: MW7

CreeperMaster343

Spirit Tracks Zelda best companion, LinkxNavi FTW
I would both agree and disagree on ST, i think for the vast majority of the game, i find the pacing to be quite nice, but it feels very rushed at the end, where from the resurrection of Malladus, it just goes by extremely quickly and really feels like there is something missing.

MW7

I agree with you about Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, especially the introductions. I don't recall having the same thought when playing Spirit Tracks, but I have much less experience playing that. I like being able to get into dungeons or dungeon like areas quickly from the start of the game which is a strength of Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild.

Majora's Mask does give the player something to do at all times, but I do think the first 3 day cycle can drag once you get into a routine of doing everything you can before you obtain the Ocarina. At least you can speed up time with the scarecrow or grandma.

Wind Waker had some issues that I think the HD version solved. The faster sailing and removed charts make the game flow better. The large collecting quest at the end of the game can actually be done throughout as well which can help with pacing.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
wind waker's got fantastic pacing, all the narrative beats hit at exactly the right time and the game also slows down at times for exploration
a link to the past kind of loses its stride once you've collected most of the crystals because the novelty of the dark world is kind of wearing off and not much new stuff is happening
albw has much better pacing imo, the cutscenes of hilda help with this a lot

ALttP and ALBW both have amazing pacing, as does the N64 games. BotW is great at this as well. While I like TP and SS, their introductions can be a bit long, especially on repeat playthroughs.

Last edited:

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Personally, I think Oracle of Seasons has the best pacing in the entire series. The difficulty always feels like it's on par with your skills, it's very well done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom