• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Wii U Games

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Such a small amount of games to choose from.

Not really? I named 9 fantastic games, and there are a few that I haven't played yet. I haven't played Captain Toad or Tropical Freeze, for example, which I've heard are both really good.

I'd argue that even if a console only has 5 true must-own titles, then it's a success. The Wii U has at least 5 must-own titles.

Pen

The game is on!
The only really good original titles for the WiiU that I've played are Super Mario Maker, Super Smash Bros. for WiiU, and Nintendo Land.

Of course I always enjoy playing The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD too, but they're still just remakes.

I think the Wii U will be remembered as a console that failed miserably with its marketing and message, but still had some excellent games associated with it. Some of my favorites, in no order at all:

1.) Super Mario 3D World

- I do feel like, as far as a single player experience is concerned, this was a step back from the outstanding Galaxy titles. But it seems like that wasn't really the focus, instead with the primary element being multiplayer, and I really enjoyed playing this game with my little brothers and sisters. It definitely felt like a 2D Mario game rather than a 3D one, but it was still great for playing with someone else. Plus the final world and boss were awesome.

2.) Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze

- One of the best platformers made since the turn of the century, Tropical Freeze was an update over Returns in every conceivable way. Perhaps the biggest upgrade was with the music, with David Wise returning to work his magic and make nearly every single level an experience of sights and sounds along with solid platforming elements that the series is known for. Plus it was Donkey Kong hard, something many modern Mario games have lacked.

3.) Super Mario Maker

- It's telling that this game spawned such a massive online community, and it's not difficult to see why - this game offers nearly unlimited creative possibilities, and even if you're not into the whole creation thing, you can still play original stages for hours and not even get close to running out of quality content. I spent quite a few nights in bed with my gamepad just making levels, which was a sign of a good game for me.

4.) Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

- Without a doubt the best and most content-filled Smash to date, this game probably has the most hours on my Wii U, and it's not even close. Smash has always been my local multiplayer game of choice, and this game improved every single aspect of that experience compared to its predecessors. The wait for it was grueling and filled to the brim with unnecessary and annoying teases, but it was worth every second.

5.) Xenoblade Chronicles X

- I was surprised that I preferred this sequel to the original, but what the game does highlights and improves what I felt the original did best - wide open worlds with an engaging, complicated battle system. Mira is the most beautiful world I've ever seen in a game, and all of its little secrets and hidden locations keep compelling me to explore more and more. Started a new game in anticipation for Xenoblade 2, and loving it all over again.

6.) Mario Kart 8

- This is probably my favorite Mario Kart since Double Dash. I love the new gravity mechanic, and the game might be the best looking on the Wii U right up there next to Smash 4. I definitely wish it had a complete and satisfying battle mode, but being able to go through such beautiful tracks in such an engaging way made up for it a little bit.

7.) Hyrule Warriors

- The biggest surprise for me on the Wii U, I was shocked with how much it monopolized my gaming life for a little while. I didn't exactly like the previous warriors game I had played, but this one just felt way better with a much more intuitive upgrade system and more focus in general with its characters and "plot". Definitely going to pick up Fire Emblem Warriors because of this one.

8.) Pikmin 3

- I love this one because it was a birthday present for my little sister (she was 8 at the time), and I had a great time playing it along with her. It was actually my first Pikmin game since I never picked up the first two for the Gamecube, and I thought it was a very interesting type of game that mixed puzzle solving with micro-management. Don't know if I'll be interested in the sequel, but I'll always have fond memories of this one.

9.) New Super Mario Bros. U

- It lacked in originality for sure, but it was still the best game for the system at launch. I've always been down for true 2D Mario, and since I never really bothered too much with the handheld iterations of the "New" series, this was a good followup to the original return on the Wii. Super Luigi U was a really great idea to tack on more game time as well.

I really wish in hindsight that I had gotten into Splatoon because of the enormous fanbase and community it now has. Going to make it a priority to get the sequel and give it more of a fair chance next time around.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
May repeat some that others said, but these were my favorites:

-Bayonetta 2
-Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
-Zelda: Wind Waker HD
-Super Mario 3D World
-Pikmin 3
-Nintendo Land
-Mario Kart 8
-Game & Wario
-Splatoon
-Yoshi's Woolly World
-Super Mario Maker
-Super Smash Bros. 4
-DK: Tropical Freeze
-Hyrule Warriors
-Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
-Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
-Wonderful 101

Scribear

Your Best Friend (rupee free)
I play a lot of Smash. Do some tournaments and stuff....
(main Mewtwo and Captain Falcon)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom