• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best way to play Ocarina of Time?

I want to get into the Zelda series and I've decided to start on the first 3D game, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

I intend to emulate in on the PC, mainly so I can run at 1440p. If there is a 60 fps modification, even better.

Which version of the game do you feel I should emulate, in order to get the best experience?

I'll get a proper controller, depending on the system of the version of the game you suggest, originally shipped on.

The original. Ocarina of Time is such a prominent game in the series, I feel that if you played it with any mods/cheats it'll taint the way you look at it. If I were you I would play it completely vanilla and start on master quest when you finish.

The original. Ocarina of Time is such a prominent game in the series, I feel that if you played it with any mods/cheats it'll taint the way you look at it. If I were you I would play it completely vanilla and start on master quest when you finish.
So the Nintendo 64 version at 1440p?

Got you :)

I'll sort a Nintendo 64 controller and get a USB adapter.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Yeah the original. The 3DS version is ok, but there is a portion of the experience you'll be missing if you don't play the orginal. Especially since the 3DS version has alot brighter graphics and it doesn't mesh well with scenes and areas in the original which were probably better left as they were. The 3DS version also censored the blood on the floor in the Bottom of the Well and the Shadow Temple.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I want to get into the Zelda series and I've decided to start on the first 3D game, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

I intend to emulate in on the PC, mainly so I can run at 1440p. If there is a 60 fps modification, even better.

Which version of the game do you feel I should emulate, in order to get the best experience?

I'll get a proper controller, depending on the system of the version of the game you suggest, originally shipped on.
It's great that you are showing interest in the Zelda series! I hope you stick around here and try some other games too.

I don't remember exactly, but believe we have some kind of rule against talking about or giving links to emulators, but I don't quite remember. Just keeep that in mind for the future.

And yes, play the N64. It's the ultimate experience.

Best to play without cheats or mods or any form of hacks. Play as it's supposed to be, it's fun.
In the emulation scene, hacks are often simply things such as increasing the frame rate to 60 fps in 30 fps games (including often fix timing issues, animation issues etc. with said increase in frame rate).

I, at the very least, feel I should at least upscale the game at 1920 × 1440 (keeping the same 4:3 aspect ratio as the original 320 × 240). 240p would look awful on my monitor.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Good luck and hopefully you'll enjoy it, OOT when emulated doesn't have many timing issues (barely any in reality) it'd only be in games such as the Oracles that timing becomes a factor.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Surprised this thread hasn't been removed yet. Any discussion of emulation (even legal emulation) is forbidden on the forums, just as a heads-up.

I'd definitely say that the best way to play would be the original game on the 64 on a sweet CRT. Check out BVMs and PVMs online.

Zachie

Moo
Just to let everyone know, discussion of emulation is absolutely fine. What we don't allow are tutorials on how to do so.

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
If you are playing the original version on an emulator for your PC, you can use some pretty fun GameShark cheats if you just want to mess around. But I would recommend tooling with it only after you beat the game or if you want to start a new save file.

If you want more after you beat the game, you can also download hacked versions of the game that change up the story and have redesigned levels.

Enjoy the game :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom