• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Way to Clean Old Cartridges?

Austin

Austin
I've heard that putting a bit of rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip and gently applying it to the immediate insides of the cartridge and console was a good way to do this, but it sounds like the kind of thing you'd want to double check. Can anyone shed some light on this or share other methods?

SuperSilly

Horizon Walker
Yes, putting rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip and very, very gently wiping the connectors at the bottom of the cartridge has, in my experience, worked quite well for cleaning without damaging the carts. After wiping the connectors, allow the cartridge to air dry a few minutes before inserting it in the console. I've only cleaned out the connectors which stick out of the plastic at the bottom of the cartridges. This is what has worked for me in the past when cleaning SNES and N64 carts, just remember to be very careful. Also remember that I've only done this a few times, and that I'm no expert. ;)

I've never attempted to clean the inside of my console out, though. You may wish to do some more research on cleaning the insides of a console, as I can only say with confidence that it works for carts.

jugglaj91

I am me....
There is a gamestore where I live that deals in NES, SNES, and N64 (as well as other games) that clean their carts with rubbing alcohol and Q-tips so I would say it is safe to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom