• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Video Game Music

Hey all! I just found out about this forum and being a big Zelda fan, I had to sign up. I'm also a huge music fan, and lately I've been listening to a lot of video game music. Thought I'd start a topic on the best VGM out there.

Also, I've been making a playlist containing the best of the best. Very interested to see what others taste is like in Vgm.

Hey GOAT,

I like to listen to a lot of video game music too. My favorite soundtracks are:

- Ar tonelico
- Flower
- Journey
- Okami
- Persona
- Shadow of the Colossus

And you can't go wrong with anything composed by Noriyuki Iwadare either. :)

Hey all! I just found out about this forum and being a big Zelda fan, I had to sign up. I'm also a huge music fan, and lately I've been listening to a lot of video game music. Thought I'd start a topic on the best VGM out there.

Also, I've been making a playlist containing the best of the best. Very interested to see what others taste is like in Vgm.

Nearly every song in Aquaria. That game is my favourite in Music, Atmosphere, and Story. So much that it made me cry ;-;

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
a few of my favorites that sprang to mind... not presented in any particular order or an inclusive list by any means

Last edited:

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
You can joke about Sonic the Hedgehog's reputation over the years, but a good chunk of fans agree that the music has been consistently awesome. (Barring Boom's music, as it's dreadfully boring). From the classics to the modern era, there's something for everyone to enjoy.

The same thing can also be said for Final Fantasy, too. I don't particularly care for the XIII series or VIII, but damn if I wasn't humming themes long after I finished playing them. I also like listening to IX's soundtrack when I'm stressed out or working on a project. In the same vein of Final Fantasy, Bravely Default has some rockin' tracks. Battle themes got the player psyched up, and each place I visited fit the theme perfectly.

Castlevania's music also fits its atmosphere perfectly. (Omitting Lords of Shadow's music, considering the soundtrack felt like it belonged in an action movie). I can't forget to mention the masterpiece that was Chrono Cross, either. Even if some didn't like the game itself, most would confess to loving the soundtrack. Especially that opening theme. Hoo boy, that is still stunning theme after all these years.

There's also many, many more that I can think of but I think this post has gone on long enough.

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
A few of my favorites:

The rest of the Child of Light soundtrack is also excellent, this track is my personal fav.

Others:

And basically any LoZ soundtrack, Koji Kondo is the best.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
The Legend of Zelda series
Sonic the Hedgehog series
Super Mario series
Metal Gear Solid series
Fire Emblem series
Soul Calibur series

Edit: How foolish of me to forget the Metroid series.

Last edited:
Glad to see someone start this thread up, I've always wanted to have a decent conversation about the underrated and often dismissed aspects to videogames. ^_<

My Top 5 Favourite Video Game Music

5.)
"Gourmet Race" - Kirby series

4.)
"The Opened Way" - Shadow of the Colossus

3.)
"Philistine" - No More Heroes 2

2.)
"Solaris Phase 2" - Sonic the Hedgehog 2006

1.)
"Lightning Battle" - Kid Icarus: Uprising

Reactions: Dan
Tales of Legendia. Such a shame Tales uses Motoi Sakuraba's constantly recycled, tired elevator music for every other game. Go Shiina is a genius.

Ys series in general.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together.

Here are the video game music I lile the most on prder of my preference. No.1 is the game with the music I like in the best.
I will also choose a random track from each game so you have an example of the style each game is going for. In spoiler tags as not to spam up the topic.

Last edited:

Last edited:

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
To much music to cover and even more difficult by genre So I'm gonna be simple. Almost all of the Megaman sound tracks. Any song that has a jazzfeel or banjo. I loved the banjo sinister six theme in Sonic lost world. Also whatever genre Gerudo Valley counts as I love me Gerudo valley and Dark Pit's theme.

Dan

So many choices, here are a few of mine, I've picked a particular song I like from a game but most of the games included on this list have a solid soundtrack throughout.

RdcgaYl.png
CjSLoCO.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom