• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Story

Which Gen Had the Best Story?

• Generation I

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Generation II

• Generation III

• Generation IV

• Generation V

• Total voters

Kazumi

chagy
Pretty self explanatory question: Which Pokemon game(s) do you think have the best story?

Personally I think that Black and White have the best story so far. While they are a still childish, as they are aimed towards children, they do explore some interesting concepts, such as the idea that fighting with Pokemon is wrong. N's backstory is also quite interesting, and I was legitimately surprised by the ending of the game.

I hope that the story in Pokemon games continues to get better like this. What do all of you think?

Mubble

Pokémon Pusher
Black and White did seem to expand and explore further than previous titles; and it felt slightly more mature in its stances with ideals and bringing new elements of worldly thought into the story. I felt like it was a bit empty at the end though and that I didn't really get a nice solid conclusion to satisfy my needs, but still great and surprising nonetheless. I really feel like (as mentioned on the previous Black/White thread) that those games could very well perhaps be laying some foundations to be built upon for further expansion into new games - if that's the case, I'm pretty excited to see where it could lead and what kind of depths stories could delve into from here on out.

I personally also quite liked the story in HG/SS - I'm still not entirely sure what drew me into it over the past games; I just enjoyed following it and it took an interesting route - despite being a remake of course of the original titles. I think I liked the journey and feeling like I was truly on an adventure, for me, SoulSilver seemed to fit all of that in quite nicely and satiated me.

I think that Gold/Silver and especially Crystal have the best story. It builds on the story of Gen I and Team Rocket still interested in crime after Giovanni disbanded the organization. I think it's interesting how in the Celebi Event in HeartGold/SoulSilver, Giovanni was going to join them during their Radio broadcast.

Definitely Black/White. It was really mature, and N and his team really dive deep into Pokemon ethical situations. Very deep for a Pokemon game, yet it was unique and a nice departure from the standard formula.

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
I would say Black and White had the best storyline. First of all, it broke from the traditional storyline of 'beat the gyms while fighting Team [x], catch the legendary, then beat the elite four, and try to catch them all.' Instead, you didn't even catch the legendary until after you defeated the Elite Four. There was a story after you completed the main quest. Most of all, the characters had more going for them. N had a very interesting backstory, and Team Plasma were different then usual. For those of use who are adults, but still enjoy the games from since we were children, we get a lovely ethical question, posed to us in a different way; rather than ask it directly, it is implied, and uses Pokemon to make our thoughts less biased. As well, it does not go over the heads of any children playing the game, so it still appeals to the target demographic, while welcoming those who have played the series for a while.

As well, I feel that the previous Pokemon titles were redundant. The storyline was not developed much more until this generation, and typically what was new in the game was the Pokemon, although some introduced contests, breeding, new types, etc., the storyline was so basic that it did not feel as much like a new title.

Im not trying to be a troll or anything, but all pokemon games pretty much have the same story

Im not trying to be a troll or anything, but all pokemon games pretty much have the same story

Common goal? Yes. Exactly the same? No.

Yes it's true each game has the usual "Journey to become a Pokemon champion!" backdrop, but each gen differs from each other in characters, motives, history, legends, etc.

This is even more obvious in Black and White which changed the usual Pokemon story formula.

Kevin

Original PD
Site Staff
Gold and Silver had a great story in my opinion. Team Rocket was back, and you had to fight them off and travel all the way back to Kanto. It was cool to see the inclusion of Suicine and Eusine into the story more with the Crystal Version.

For me it was Emerald version. Not only is it my favorite pokemon game but it has such an epic storyline for its time. Team Aqua wants to flood the region while Team Magma wants to get rid of all water and flood the land with, well, land. Then throughout the game you battle alongside the champion to defeat leaders of both teams and you even get the opportunity to fish right between Groudon and Kyogre (if you want). Truly an epic story for a truly epic game.

Dracoburn

Lance's Protégé
Black and White because the evil team was similar to PETA, at least to me. But Platinum had a good story, too. Cyrus was absolutely mad, and made a convincingly psychotic villain.

Black and White definetly. In these games, the Gym Leaders are actually a part of the story to thwart the plans of Team Plasma. Also, the main bad guy actually has a personality, unlike Maxie or Cyrus (they still had personalities, I guess, but not as colorful as N's)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom