• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Skyward Sword Review So Far?

Majora's Cat

How about that
[video=youtube;ugol_WqIZNc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugol_WqIZNc[/video]​

This YouTube user seems to have tackled every possible issue. It's useless to restate verbatim what the reviewer has said, and basically all relevant and based complaints that gamers voice about the game have been put into perspective. Just about everybody can agree with the reviewer, and baseless and biased criticisms appear to be nonexistent.

The gist of it (without going into too much detail) is that the visuals are great on Wii (rivaled only by Super Mario Galaxy 2), the combat is nearly perfect and the orchestrated score is a huge step up in the quality of music. The game is text-only, and the reviewer says that it's time for Zelda to grow up - a fair statement, considering that professional critics have seen the game as a throwback. The learning curve is steep, which some users here will refuse to admit.

He complains that the game is a bit too linear and lacks the sense of freedom the series is known for, while the sky is vast but contains little content. This is the only thing I can pick on, since I believe the two elements balance each other out.

So what do you guys think?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It's a fair review, I suppose, however I still don't agree with some of his points. It isn't the best review I've seen/read about, but it's one of the better ones.

I agree, this is a pretty great review. To be honest, this is the only one I've seen, as I don't pay much attention to them these days. [noparse]:P[/noparse]

MW7

For the most part I agree with this review and it's fair. I thought it was funny that he said complaints about the controls are just a fabrication. I think that's bit of a pro-Nintendo bias, but I actually agree that most people who have complained about the controls just don't know how to use them. He does seem to be confused about hero mode though; he says "enemies are much tougher and smarter" (around 10:30). As far as I know the enemy AI and placement/frequency of enemies is identical from the regular quest to hero mode with the obvious exception of damage being doubled so that statement is just wrong. Also a small error I caught is that he said "horde of moblins" at some point when I'm certain he meant bokoblins.

There were two things this guy mentioned that I really liked: first of all he admitted that the game is more linear than other Zelda games (he says it twice) and he also says that only time will tell if this game will be remembered as surpassing Ocarina of Time and the other "past legends" of the series. I think the game being linear is a flaw, but most would disagree with me- at least he acknowledges it. It's a fact that the main quest can be completed in few ways (more than one because of the Song of the Hero), but it seems like most people aren't bothered by at all whereas nonlinearity is a large reason why I play Zelda games at all.

I think it's extremely wise that he says only time will tell how this game will stack up; the IGN review bothered me by saying "The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is the greatest Zelda game ever created" in the first sentence. That's a little bold, and IMO reckless since clearly they probably had their hands on the game for only a month or so. I don't think that's enough time to definitively state that one game is "the greatest thing ever." People can say I'm biased because of nostalgia, but I'd say being biased because of being blinded by newness can be just as bad. Newness eventually wears off so be aware that maybe your opinions will change at least a little in a few months or years. Keep in mind I'm not saying the game's not great because it is. I've already gone off in another thread on why Skyward Sword has relatively no replay value when compared to other games in the series so I'll refrain from doing so here.

One thing I wish he would have mentioned is the bug/treasure notification system. I think that's the one thing that every person who's played the game can agree that it's stupid. I know it's minor, but man is it annoying. Overall this review was terrific. I think 10/10 is a fair score, but keep in mind that several reviewers didn't feel the same way (and they all have credibility and have a right to their opinion- except Tom McShea of course, he's just a horrible human being and we should egg his house). Thanks for posting this Majora's Cat, I really enjoyed listening to this guy's take on the game.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom