• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best school trips you have been on

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Inspired by the blog of @karu I wanted to make a thread for forum dwellers to share their stories about school trips they have had. I want to know what interesting places you have been to and if you have any funny or interesting tales to tell about school trips you have been on.

We went on a trip to a forest once, dont know where or what the point was.

But the highlight was one of my classmates fell down a bank into a bush of nettles twice the height of him. He disappeard and just after a few seconds began screaming.

Didnt ever see him again actually....

Pen

The game is on!
When I was 16 we went on a class trip to Berlin for a couple of days. I had already been here once before that and I've been there once afterwards as well, but enjoying the city with my friends from school was a lot of fun. Berlin is one of my favourite cities that I've been to because it's big and beautiful with a lot of nice architecture and pleasant parks. It's also pretty easy to navigate as a pedestrian and I have a strong interest for the history of that city. Luckily for me our history teacher was one of the teachers who came with us on the class trip, so we were treated to some great history guide tours by him. :^^:

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
Best one ever was the French exchange. Every year at school we had a sport week where we would do sports like cycling, rowing, canoeing, archery and orienteering which was kinda fun.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Hmm... I've gone on a lot of school trips lol so this is kind of hard.

Living in a small town, there isn't a whole lot to see that you don't see every day. So most of our field trips were out of town (and considering the nearest cities are an hour and an hour and a half away depending on direction). Usually, our day trips included a 2 1/2 hour long drive to get to the location. Some of the more memorable ones I can remember are:

• We went to a fossil bed once for my 8th grade Science class. There was a thirty minute long lecture when we finally got to the location, and then we spent three hours climbing around a large fossil bed, and we got to take home whatever we found. My friend managed to find some really cool rare fossils that I believe he still has at his house somewhere.
  • In seventh grade, we went to a wolf reserve that's a bit more than an hour away. There was a lecture on wolves and their habitats and such, and then they showed us all the enclosures they have. After that, we went on a wolf-related scavenger hunt in the woods, and while many people came out with slightly bloody legs (because the woods were dense and everyone was running around, and most people were wearing shorts), it was definitely a good time!
  • When I was in third grade, while I still lived in the big city, we went to the local Planetarium, which featured a Motion Simulator ride that simulated a trip to Mars. It was quite fun, and the whole trip was really cool, especially for a class of eight year old kids.
  • Sometime in Elementary school, I can't remember exactly, when, my teacher took us for a long hike up the mountain. It featured a guided tour of local plant and wildlife, and incredible views of the town. Probably one of my personal favourite field trips I've ever gone on.
  • At the end of seventh grade, my class took a three day trip to Vancouver. For most people it was probably fun, but since I was born there and lived there until I was eight, it really wasn't all that exciting for me lol. We got to sleep in a museum though, with a mummy, and spent some good time at a local wave pool. But as a whole, the trip wasn't really anything special. The best part was being able to spend a lot of time with my friends.
  • Several times in elementary school, we took trips to a cross country ski trail just a short way out of town. My very first experience on skis was actually one of those days. Cross country skiing isn't my favourite, but I can definitely appreciate it, and it was fun nonetheless.
  • In eighth grade, I went on a band trip to Edmonton. We attended a couple workshops, performed for two elementary schools, and spent a bunch of time at West Edmonton Mall (where I lost my band uniform). We then saw a symphony in Calgary on the way home. Overall, it was a pretty fun trip, but I live in Edmonton now (and in fact go to school where we had one of the workshops), so it doesn't excite me all that much when I look back on it.
  • In tenth grade, I went on another band trip, this time to New York City. This one was way better than the previous one. Our hotel was in New Jersey, just away from the Lincoln Tunnel. We spent five days total on that trip (including travel time). Some of the highlights include going to Six Flags Great Adventure, Watching Wicked on Broadway, attending a New York City jazz club, hanging out in Times Square, seeing the Statue of Liberty, visiting the Empire State Building, and going to a Gospel Church in Harlem. The whole trip was a phenomenal experience and I'm glad I went.
  • In eleventh grade, I went with my school to Moscow, Idaho, for the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival. The whole trip was based around workshops and clinics, so it was quite a bit different, and we had a lot more freedom for what we wanted to do everyday. I learned a lot on that trip and it was a great experience.
  • In twelfth grade, I went on one last band trip, this time to San Francisco. We were originally going to go to New Orleans, but many parents thought it was too dangerous, so we went to San Fran instead (which I'm not complaining about, it was a great trip!) I have fond memories of spending a bunch of time at an arcade on Pier 39, going to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, performing a concert at the pier, shopping in Union Square, eating at Bubba Gump's Shrimp, wandering around Haight-Ashbury, and performing for the most enthusiastic group of elementary school kids we'd ever played for. Oh, and hours of playing Animal Crossing: New Leaf in our hotel room. Probably my favourite band trip of all, was definitely a trip well worth going on.

Reactions: Dio

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Woow, that would have been Prague 1990. It was right after all the events happening like the Berlin Wall fallen down. The trip itself was great. There was a lot to see. I do remember I felt very bad for the people hardly having any money and we as kids had more to spend than most families. But the buildings and history were amazing. I went back to Prague back in 2011 and remembered things from the trip 21 years prior.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I've been on quite a few school trips. The best was a trip to Belgium where we visited some of the war cemeteries and also went into a chocolate factory. It was also that trip where we werent allowed keys to our rooms, but then a drunken man got into the room of some girls in my class and fell asleep on their floor and we were allowed keys after that.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
My band went on an "All Northwest" concert about a half-hour north of Seattle Washington this year, and performed. It was pretty cool, but the best part was that we were one of only 2 middle schools in the entire 6 state area to be accepted to perform, and it only happens every 2 years. We got up at 3 A.M so we could be at school at 3:30 A.M to ride the 4 hour trip to get there. We were one of the first bands to perform. The A.S.B at our school also PAID us $7 for lunch, and we could keep the change, or all of the money if we didn't want lunch. It was great

Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
My band went on an "All Northwest" concert about a half-hour north of Seattle Washington this year, and performed. It was pretty cool, but the best part was that we were one of only 2 middle schools in the entire 6 state area to be accepted to perform, and it only happens every 2 years. We got up at 3 A.M so we could be at school at 3:30 A.M to ride the 4 hour trip to get there. We were one of the first bands to perform. The A.S.B at our school also PAID us $7 for lunch, and we could keep the change, or all of the money if we didn't want lunch. It was great

I also went on a band trip when I was in school it was so we could perform some concerts in France. We didn't get any food paid for though.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Our senior trip was to King's Island and that was a ton of fun, though traveling from Kentucky to Ohio on a school bus wasn't the greatest. Going to an amusement park with friends and it being so close to the end of the year and high school graduation made up for it though.

In sixth grade, I was in an advanced class that got to go on a trip to this place (I honestly don't remember what the place actually was) where we got to do some really cool space activities. I believe we were on different teams, and we got to use different equipment to simulate a space mission or something. I don't remember it super well, but what bit I do remember, it was incredibly cool.

Other than those two, a lot of school trips were to Mammoth Cave or Science Museums.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Has to be the week long Germany trip in high school. Our class was approached by the local theater and asked to be the amateur representatives on a drama exchange in Frankfurt an der Oder called "Love in Europe". I should mention we were all drama majors, lol. There were a bunch of different countries participating, and each sent both a professional and an amateur delegation.

I remember getting along well with the group from Ireland, spending more time with them than anyone else (I didn't get very well along with my class in general, having been picked as the black sheep of the class). There were workshops, performances by all of the delegations, a separate day for the amateurs and the professionals and just generally a lot of mingling.

Have a very fond memory of making one of the women from our own professional delegation (who's now one of the more famous actresses in the country - but at the time she was just on the cusp of transitioning from theater work to television/movies) almost spill her wine in surprise when I switched back to speaking Norwegian (since I was hanging out with the Irish group mostly, lol). For some reason, if you're abroad and reveal yourself to be a fellow Norwegian you get extra popular, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom