• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best opening sequences

Hanyou

didn't build that
Starting with my favorite:

Perfectly sets up my second-favorite Zelda game. This is a story of mythical proportions, and this manages to summarize a fair amount of history in a simplistic but ambitious way.

What I'm saying, I guess, is that this is as iconic and perfect in my book as the Star Wars opening crawl or the Lord of the Rings intro.

As with The Wind Waker, this sets the tone well.

Shenmue was about leaving the comfort of home to set out on a grand adventure. In the original game, you really do inhabit Ryo's life, and the people who surround him become your friends. Yokosuka becomes your home.

Shenmue 2 is entirely different. Hong Kong has a magical, foreboding atmosphere, and feels far more surreal than the rural Japan of the first game. The opening, therefore, is fittingly jarring. There's an openness, an unveiling. Ryo's whole perception of his heritage, his destiny, and the world is about to change--and the opening sets you on that course.

Shenmue 2's opening tells you that what came before was just a prologue. The story starts here.

I'm with Hanyou on The Wind Waker opening. Like, it's really basic, but I loooove the blockprint look they used for the illustrations. The style kind of adds to the age of the tale. Not to mention the Hylian on the prints are roughly what is being said on-screen (shhh I'm not a loser) so it's like you're just reading about this legend directly from them. The tone is dire and hopeless and then is abruptly cut off with a sense of mystery so you're just left sitting there like... what happened...? What's going on? Oh, and not to mention I'm in love with the song that plays. It captures the mood perfectly. Well, it's kind of a medley, I suppose, but ya, it goes along with the dynamic changes in mood. Perfection.

Another intro I'm pretty fond of is the Aden version of the Tides of Destiny opening.

I really like the animation of this; it just looks very appealing on an artistic level. And the use of color and the rune overlays just really add to it. They also incorporated 3d with the golem very well. My only complaint is how stupid Aden's feet look in the first ten seconds. But feet look stupid anyway so whatever. It's also good to note that the Sonja counterpart of the opening starts where this one ends, and ends where this one starts. So they could be played in a seamless loop. Her opening also has a very interesting art style, but the mood is practically opposite. Song-wise as well.

Last edited:

Musicfan

the shadow mage

It is simple it shows off the chracters with out spoiling the plot. The song fits the tone of the story.

I am going to say
  • Wind Waker (the game is average at best but the opening story bit is really good
  • Monkey Island 2
  • Starcraft and Broodwars

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Resident Evil 4 would definitely be one of them, if we're talking entire opening sequence. The rising tension as you walk through the forest and then barring yourself inside the house against the villagers was thrilling when first playing it, I knew that this game was something else just from that opening.

Final Fantasy VIII would be another, the intro cinematic CGI at the time was jaw-dropping and was just a pleasure to watch!

And of course, the original Bioshock. Needs no explanation.

octorok74

TETTAC
This is really hard to think of. I really like the opening of Fallout: New Vegas how it moves out of the city and goes to your "grave". But then I got to thinking that the opening sequence for Dark Souls 2 was also really good. I'd give it to Fallout NV though.

pkfroce

Skelepuns
I have to agree with Hanyou. Wind Waker is my favorite zelda game of all time and the opening bit just sums up the story so well it's like djskfjklajjfja. The music and art style used in it just fits Wind Waker, imo.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
First one would be Fallout 3.

Not really an opening scene, but it's just that moment when you walk out of the vault for the first time. Probably one of the most iconic images in gaming. Just getting that first glimpse of the apocalyptic ruins of D.C and knowing that you can explore it all - such a great moment.

Next one would be Twilight Princess.

This opening scene just really takes me back, I was so stoked to play this game back in 2007 and from the first minute, the actual menu scene, just had me hooked. The calming melody with Link riding Epona throughout Hyrule and then the sudden twist in tone at the end gave a great taste of what was to come. Such a memorable moment.

Reactions: Dan

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Many. Couldn't name them all if I wanted, but right now the first few ones I remember are Metal Gear Solid 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHYh02uCCJo) and Silent Hill. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_BhLbB3M9A)

MGS2 just has that solemn yet grand feeling about it. It's badass. Also, assuming you played the game when it came out, it goes great with the twist the game is about to pull on you in just a couple of hours of playing. Those last few seconds before the title flashes on screen really seem to foreshadow it.

With SH, I kind of like the uncanny look a lot of PSOne full motion videos like that one had. I would say it even enhances the intro's atmosphere for me in particular, although I'm doubtful that it's intentional. Maybe the devs would've fit something less unintentionally creepy-looking on the disc if they could have.

Last edited:

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
My absolute favourite game opener has to be the one for Fable III

It does a great job of showing the state of Albion through the eyes of the chicken, how bad things have gotten for the general population and a hint of the rebellion to come.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I'm gonna have to go with The Wind Waker. Never have a seen an opening sequence set up the story of a game as well as this. Not only is it beautifully described, it's also accompanied with fitting music and images and it instantly made me know I would greatly enjoy the game. 10/10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom