• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Non-Japanese Game of All Time (Nomination Round)

theoathtoorder

“Zinga-dingding!”
I'll say Bioshock 1 & 2, Alan Wake 1, and Portal 2. I just realized all my favorite games are made in Japan.

1. Halo: Combat Evolved
2. Half-Life 2
3. Batman Arkham City

The three aforementioned games are among the best I have ever played and feature great environments, atmosphere, and astounding realism allowing players to truly immerse themselves in the experience. Halo CE is the title which successfully transitioned first person shooters to the console front; Half-Life 2 is a glorious physics exposition with an astoundingly deep puzzle narrative; Batman Arkham City is the greatest superhero game ever created down to the detailed portrayal of Gotham City and its numerous memorable personas.

Kirino

Tatakae
So little choices without Japanese games. Besides Bioshock and Batman: Arkham City, which have already been nominated, I choose Borderlands 2. The game is hilarious, and the replay value is nearly endless.

I think a best game of all time that excludes Zelda games would have been better. That way, the result wouldn't have so incredibly obvious. I knew from the very beginning that OoT would win. Not to mention that half of the games were Zelda games.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Halo: Combat Evolved
Red Dead Redemption
Batman: Arkham City

Honorable Mentions: Gears of War, Splinter Cell Conviction, Assassin's Creed II, Borderlands, and Grand Theft Auto San Andreas.

Last edited:

Hanyou

didn't build that
1. Myst
2. The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
3. Portal 2

I'm surprised no one else has named Myst.

I prefer Riven and even Myst 3, but this series must be represented and the original title is probably the best representative.

Games published by Nintendo, Capcom, Konami, Square Enix, etc. are off limits and will be ignored if included with any nomination. No description of your reasoning is required.

I'm curious why. It shuts out a good number of quality games that are, by all accounts, Western. I don't mean to be troublesome, but can you please explain? Case in point: this would naturally remove Goldeneye 007 from the running, even though it's a very good, important Western game. Why do this?

3. Would be Donkey Kong Country 2 if this rule were not in place.

Last edited:

Austin

Austin
1) Fallout New Vegas
2) Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
3) Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

that feel when your list has barely changed

Hanyou

didn't build that
If I allowed games developed by Western studios but published by Japanese companies, games such as Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (developed by Retro Studios, published by Nintendo) could be thrown into the mix. The line between Japanese and non-Japanese games would become too blurred.

Due to it's nature, this thread is supposed to shut out a good number of quality games. I'm fan of Japanese games and have nothing against them. I just wanted to give completely Western games a chance to shine.

Right, and I don't mean to debate, but I still think shutting out Goldeneye 007 is a bit unfair. Even if that wouldn't be on my list, it's pretty much THE console shooter. There's also nothing Japanese about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom