• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Nintendo DLC

Nintendo hasn't been in the DLC practice for very long but some of their games are ready synonymous with it, such as Smash Bros and Fire Emblem.

Unlike most other developers I find Nintendo's DLC (premium or free) to be of rather high quality and decent value. I've never been disappointed by any Nintendo developed DLC that I've paid for or recieved for free.

So, this begs the question; what is your favourite Nintendo developed DLC?

This includes both free and paid content.

Did you love BotW's two part season pass?

Did you really enjoy the Octo Expansion?

Did you have fun with Kirby Star Allies' free updates which practically doubled the size of the game?

Do Mario Kart and Smash bros take the DLC crown?

Or is there something else entirely?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
The Champion's Ballad far and away by a country mile. On par with the main quest. Love that stuff. The Master Trials was great too.

Haven't tried the Octo Expansion yet.

Mario Kart 8's DLC is top notch too. Some very good tracks and racers.

Can't wait for Cindered Shadows this week!

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
hmm, I guess Torna for Xenoblade 2, it gave a decent backstory to the events that preceded the main game and it reworked the gameplay to allow us to switch back and forth b/w blade and driver, which was such a cool addition, among other things
I just really hated how there were two points in the game where you couldn't go further in the story until you do a certain amount of sidequests, and the in game explanation for the second time it happened was stupid as all get out

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
BotWs DLC was just as boring as the main quest (even though it did include the best dungeon in the game). MK8 has some outstanding DLC, but nothing I’m willing to pay $14.99 for.

Smash 4s DLC was pretty damn good all things considered, aside from having 2 FE characters that is. Cloud and Ryu were perfect additions and mewtwo and Lucas were great characters to bring back.

Ultimates has been pretty hit and miss so far imo. Joker, Hero, and especially banjo kazooie are very good. The plant is odd, but all right. Terry isn’t anyone I’m complaining over but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed with him. And I refuse to acknowledge generic anime swordsman #72856 even exists.

So yeah I’d probably say smash 4 or maybe ultimate is the best.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Ultimates has been pretty hit and miss so far imo. Joker, Hero, and especially banjo kazooie are very good. The plant is odd, but all right. Terry isn’t anyone I’m complaining over but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed with him. And I refuse to acknowledge generic anime swordsman #72856 even exists.
bailiff

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Honestly, Nintendo just doesn't do DLC well. If it is done well, then they charge entirely too much money fir it. If they charge a more regular amount, then it winds up bland and boring like Champions Ballad.

Quin

Disaster Master
MK8 is the only one that I would say was very high quality and good value. Smash is hit and miss and the value is pretty questionable, and BOTW added stuff that should have been there to begin with, especially in pack 1. Why would you pay for stuff to make the main game (which you probably already beat at that point) more enjoyable?

And those are actually the highlights of Nintendo's DLC practices. Most other stuff is pretty terrible, Like Hyrule Warriors, every Fire Emblem game so far (I think the price of the DLC in fates was higher than the price of the game itself? Nice)and worst of all, the whole amiibo stuff, which gladly they stopped doing, for now.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
And those are actually the highlights of Nintendo's DLC practices. Most other stuff is pretty terrible, Like Hyrule Warriors, every Fire Emblem game so far (I think the price of the DLC in fates was higher than the price of the game itself? Nice)and worst of all, the whole amiibo stuff, which gladly they stopped doing, for now.
Fire Emblem Shadows of Valentia was worse on this in that all the DLC was day one DLC, which together also cost more than the game itself

For Nintendo made DLC
I'm going to say Mario Kart 8. Extra tracks really add to racing games. The extra tracks here though not my favourite ones in the game are all very well done and add a lot of replay value to the game.

For other DLC (Since others here have mentioned DLC not made by Nintendo)

Torna: The Golden Country was pretty good. A little short and the ending was not a happy one. Still overall it was one of the better DLC's I've played.

The DLC for Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors is pretty good too.
The only difference is I find it hard to justify getting the FEW DLC as I found the base FEW game to be one of the worst musou games I'be ever played. HW is pretty good though has a few flaws still but still worth getting the Switch port with all DLC included.

Dynasty Warriors 8 - It's on Switch now. It's DLC is amazing. The microtransactions on the other hand are not.
The extra hypothetical line for each faction plus a whole new Lu Bu story plus a few new characters/weapons to play as. Really adds to an already amazing game. The only down side to good Warriors games is you know it'll bet an expanded re-release so many people skip the original to gety the re-release. If this pushes the original sales down too low, that re-release might not happen.
I say good Warriors games as DW9 was crap and thus will probably not get a re-release (ie updated version with DLC added).

I don't think games like DQXI-S are really DLC as the added content is not really an addition to the game, it's baked into the game all throughout. Still regardless, the additions here really make it the best version of the game. Zero reason to get any other version of the game, unless you refuse to buy a Switch.

Joker, Hero, and especially banjo kazooie are very good.
Hero and BK are just fan service. Both were equally wanted in Smash Bros by the community. Both are hugely popular in different parts fo the world. Though I think BK is more the vocal minority but almost 100% of that minority bought the game so it's all good. Though considering the entire game is fan service, they fit in well. Joker is the odd one out that no one expected.

Quin

Disaster Master
Zero reason to get any other version of the game, unless you refuse to buy a Switch.
Factually wrong. The extra content, while nice, is not substantial enough to just say its better than the graphically and optimized better PC version. You have to really like 2D mode to say otherwise, but I'm mostly playing in 3D anyway.

Factually wrong. The extra content, while nice, is not substantial enough to just say its better than the graphically and optimized better PC version. You have to really like 2D mode to say otherwise, but I'm mostly playing in 3D anyway.
I've beaten the game on PS4 and Switch. I played the Switch port in 3D mode also.
You'd be surprised how optimised the Switch port is. For the most part it's on nearly par or better than the PS4 port in some aspects.

You mention that the extra content is not substantial enough. Here's a list of some of the additions to the Switch port.

• Ultra-Fast battle speed
  • Skip cutscenes at any time
  • New option to have cutscenes autoplay
  • Portable Fun-Size Forge
  • Cosmetic-only Outfits
  • Horse Hailer
  • Quick Commands Menu
  • Ore and other materials that previously dropped items on the ground when harvested now drop directly into your inventory
  • Option to turn off grunt and exhale sounds from the protagonist
  • Killing monsters in the overworld using a mount will grant experience points
  • Switch between the classic battle camera and free movement mid-battle
  • Menus can be navigated with joysticks in addition to the D-pad
  • Purchased materials are automatically deposited in the Bag
  • In-battle party member dialogue now appears in a speech bubble in the top right of the screen, complete with an illustrated portrait of the character, in addition to the character’s spoken voice lines
  • You can now instantly talk with your party members by pressing the minus (“-”) button, rather than selecting the option in the menu.
  • Orchestrated soundtrack option
  • Japanese voice option
  • Active party members now follow the player around in the overworld
  • Approach your party members and speak to them directly rather than selecting the option from the menu or pressing the minus (—) button.
  • Party Member Scenarios
  • Photo Mode
  • New costumes
  • Alternative marriage options
  • More rideable monsters have been introduced
  • New Draconian Quest options have been added
  • Madam Cherie
  • The whole game in 2D mode
  • Tickington and the many quests there
  • No cooldown for the fun sized forge which was in the PS4 version
  • Fixed the mistakes in the defeated monster list and monsters in this region lists that were wrong in the PS4/PC ports
  • DQ8's overworld theme
  • New secret Wheel of Harma Trial
  • New Secret boss
  • Golden Reins
  • The costumes on the PS4/PC that were just better stats, on the Switch are pallete swaps now, so no two costumes are exactly alike anymore

After playing both to completion, I can only recommend the PS4 version if you don't have a Switch.

I can't comment on the PC port but based on what you've said, it's quite amazing and exponentially better than the PS4 original.
I'll have to find some comparison videos on this. I din't think I've seen any. Thank you for the information.

Quin

Disaster Master
That list looks big but more than half of it is really really minor, or small QOL changes that aren't really important either. I played both back to back, and the only thing I really miss in the PC version are the japanese voices, the ultra fast battle speed and the fashion gear slots. PC has a mod for the orchestrated music, runs at 4K with unlimited frame rate and really does the artstyle justice.
the extra content in tickington sounded nice but its 80% fetch quests down trough nostalgia lane, which is nice to do once if you a series veteran, but even then it got real tiring for me.

You can't go wrong either way, but the Switch version is not really the definitive version.
The ps4 version though, yeah no reason to play that one anymore if you have better options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom