• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Movie of 2011

Since Oscars season is my favorite of the five seasons, I am super excited for this year's awards. My pick for movie of the year is The Help. I was very skeptical, and, being a guy, it doesn't seem like the kind of movie I enjoyed. But boy, I was blown away! What an emotional, uplifting story with tons of humor and heart. It displays a controversial issue with such class and sophistication, and, although there is a clear bias as irate reviewers have shown, it's easy to look past that as you experience the maids and their issues. The acting is stellar. Emma Stone, Viola Davis, and Octavia Spencer steal the show, and I hope they sweep at the Oscars.

Another one of my favorite films this year was 50/50. Another story about an issue that shouldn't be funny, 50/50 tells the tale of a man who is diagnosed with cancer, and how he and his friends try to beat the odds. It's funny without being disrespectful, and there are a lot of laugh-out-loud moments that I really enjoyed. The acting's nothing special, but when it tells a story this good, it doesn't matter.

Also on my list is Midnight in Paris. Not a big Woody Allen fan, not going to lie, but Midnight in Paris was so good. The plot is hilarious, and the writing is solid and witty. Owen Wilson, is well, Owen Wilson, but other than that the movie is really enjoyable. Rounding out my list for best movies is Bridesmaids, Harry Potter 7 Part 2, Super 8, Mission Impossible, Horrible Bosses, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. 2011 was a great year for movies, clearly.

L

Legend31

Personally, I believe that Sherlock Holmes 2 is the movie of the year, with Tintin at 2nd and Captain America taking 3rd. Holmes 2 outdid the original in so many ways, and the twists and turns made my little brother complain about how I wouldn't refill the popcorn because I ddn't wanna miss ANYTHING. Tintin was similar, and it had a childish appeal that gave it a sweet touch. Captain America was different from other superhero movies (yes, I know what I'm saying) because there wasn't the playboy or the new guy in town that had super powers, there was just the 'little guy from Brooklyn'.

Super 8, Contagion, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2, and Sherlock Holmes 2 where probobly my favorites this year... all very good ones.

L

Lord_Ghirahim

1. HUGO (I love this movie!)
2. Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva (came out in America in 2011)
3. Harry Potter 7, Pt. 2
4. The Muppets
5. Thor

Garo

Boy Wonder
Undoubtedly Hugo. But here's a list for grins:

1. Hugo
2. Moneyball
3. Drive
3. 50/50 (tie)
5. The Tree of Life
6. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
7. The Descendants
7. Crazy, Stupid, Love. (tie)
9. Rango
10. Beginners

I have a more in-depth list that I coordinated with one of my friends on over on my blog if anyone is interested.

While we're here, my least favorite film of the year was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2. I've been a Yates apologist since the stellar Order of the Phoenix and Half Blood Prince, and the good but not great Deathly Hallows, Part 1 - but this film completely and utterly disappointed me. Almost entirely devoid of soul, it goes through the motions. Sure, it looks good, but the complete and utter lack of character development angered me to the point where, as the credits rolled, I stood up and yelled "Screw you!" at the screen.

I was also slightly disappointed with Super 8. I loved the first two acts of the film and their wonderfully meta exploration of amateur filmmaking, but the pointless and uninspired action-filled third act added canned emotional resolution that felt wholly inorganic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom