• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Mega Man Series

Best Franchise

• Mega Man Classic

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Mega Man X

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Mega Man Zero

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mega Man: Battle Network

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Mega Man ZX

• Mega Man Legends

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other

• Total voters

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Since today is Mega Man's 30th Anniversary, I've been thinking about exploring the spinoff Series. For those who've played them, which is your favorite? Are there any you want to try out?

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I myself have only played 4 Mega Man games (The first three in the classic series and Zero 1). I'm personally more for the classic games than Zero (hence why I haven't played Zero 2-4, despite owning them).

Last edited:
None. They've all had their fair share of good and terrible games. I've played all of the MM series listed and I can't recommend all of the games in any of them. My recommendation is to play the specificly good MM games in each MM series first and play the not as goood ones later.

Lets take the classic series for example.
MM1 - Average at best
MM2 - Amazing
MM3 - Amazing
MM4 - Terrible
MM5 - Average at best
MM6 - Terrible
MM7 - Relatively good
MM8 - Mostly good
MM9 - Average at best
MM10 - Average at best
MM and Bass - Quite good actually.

All the rest of the MM series are similar, some average/good games, some amazing games and some that are terrible. MM1 is the exception here as it's the first game. If it was not the first game I'd call it terrible. The true MM formula really became into being with the 2nd game.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
Mega Man is pretty neat.

I played the Star Force games back on DS, but I can't really list them as high now due to lack of wifi, so you're left with fewer options since you can't connect with other players online to add more to your arsenal. I thought they were fun though. I only got to play one BN game, which was the first, and by the time I was interested in the series again, I didn't have access to the games, so I missed out and couldn't tell you much. I hear SF is sort of watered down BN, granted the grid systems are different, but I still found the SF games fun, and the third installment was where SF hit its stride (though it also ended). There was another, I think reboot? of the BN series that had a crossover with BN Mega Man and SF Mega Man on DS as well, but I never got that either. I think it was supposed to be the first BN game story, but with the addition of the main character from SF coming from a timehole or something like that, so it's sort of the first game, but sort of not? It played like the BN games, and I think you had the option to switch your character, so that was neat, but again, I never played it personally.

The classic games are pretty good overall. Some are a bit lackluster, but you get what you expect with most. I liked 9 and 10 as revivals to the series, so I'm pretty pumped to see what 11 will bring to the table.

I think the Zero series was alright. It's basically X, but with some slight differences. The first one was pretty weak to me, but they were all alright. There was the Zero collection released on DS a while back, so you may be able to find that used for a decent price. It was definitely worth the 30 bucks or whatever I spent on it when I purchased it.

The X series is my favorite. It just feels a lot faster and I personally like a lot of what is going on in the games. I've not gotten to play all of them, but the original is great, and you're pretty safe with any of the 1-5 releases. I was introduced to X through X6, which is way weaker in comparison to the first 5, but I didn't really care because I didn't know better. The level design in 6 can be pretty dumb and infuriating, but it's okay once you get past some of that. I hear the ones past that aren't that great, and the one in 3D looked super infuriating, so avoid that.

I never got a chance to play ZX, and when I wanted to purchase the first one online years after it came out, it was stupid expensive, so I went with the sequel, ZX Advent, instead. It was a lot of fun, and pretty much fits into the X/Zero gameplay style, more similar to some of the Zero games due to a bit of Metroidvania style levels and interconnected map. The transformations were pretty fun, and I liked the story. It also had some like, ZX Advent Classic, or some mode you could unlock where you play as your main character, but in the classic Mega Man style, and that was a fun addition. I liked it at least.

I never got a chance to play Legends, and I was hoping to have a chance to with Legends 3, but Capcom pulled the plug on that after releasing that demo thing you could play on 3DS, so thanks big C! They looked neat regardless.

It's a series worth exploring, and it's covered a couple different genres pretty well. If you're interested in any particular series, I'd take a look at the gameplay a bit to get a feel of what you're getting into, and then if that peaks your interest, it's generally safe to jump in. Just don't mess with the super late X games, and remember that some of the games featuring voice acting is gonna bring you to tears, but probably not in the way Capcom was intending :cool:

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I think I'd have to go with the X series for a favorite since it's the one I've played the most of, but really with the exception of Legends (maybe because I haven't played all that much of it) I've liked all the games I've tried. Mega Man's a pretty solid series on the whole so I'd say as long as you know what you're getting into you could pick almost any game and end up with something decent at worst. The ones I can't vouch for are the ZX games, but if they're similar to X/Zero then I can't imagine them being bad.

Honestly I actually haven't played as much of the Classic series as I'd like. I've owned and beaten 2 and 8 (which is the easiest game in the series and is available on the second Legacy Collection, in case you're interested), played a bit of 3, 4 and 9 and am looking forward to 11. I've liked what I've played of these but yeah, I don't feel like I can say much on Classic as a whole.

Now the X series I've actually played a lot of, from the first to the sixth game, and even the worst ones were still of enjoyable, although X6's Nightmare system can get annoying. The Zero series is a good follow up, main difference being that while X gave you more movement options compared to the Classic series, Zero gives you more combat options compared to the X series. I enjoyed the Zero games, although a section in the first one where you had to deactivate bombs in a factory was pretty annoying because at one point you have to do a bunch of borderline blind jumps. I like a challenge, but I hesitate to replay Zero 1 again because of that. On that note I think it's worth warning the first Zero game front loads its difficulty so hard that you may get a little overwhelmed.

Battle Network is pretty different and I've only played the 3rd and 5th game, but they're fun little action JRPGs. I don't have much to say about these besides that they're good.

If you want to buy the games, the Legacy Collections are an easy way to get the Classic series, and maybe wait for the X series collection to come out. Zero series has a DS collection as Shroom said, in which you get all 4 of them and an easy mode, which can make the games less overwhelming. Hope you have fun!

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
Oh this is a hard one to decide. Since each series bring something good to the table.

Classic MM would be the starter if the series. Starting it off and laying down the formula for a good amount of the franchise. It would work out its problems and refine itself pretty well through the series. You can see how it grows. It is also a bit slower platformer wanting you to learn and take your time. Having many collection games on ps2/gamecube/xbox and the the legacy collections.

MMX going a bit more story driven and character development. You will see dialogue, some basic story telling and some hilarious moments. But it is definetly a more action and fast paced platformer. With its dash and fast speed and wall jumps. If you like reacting fast and shooting or playing as zero slashig a sword. The X series is for you. Same as classic has a few collection games that are up from x1 to x6. The X legacy having up to x8. Where x7 and x8 are meh in my opinion. you can skip 6 too.

MMZ has you play Zero. It has a rather good arcing plot over the four games. Interesting developments and good character growth. It is a much harder series compared to classic and X. So if you are looking for a tough challenge. The Zero series brings it in spades with a ranking system. With the Zero collection on Ds it isnt to hard to play them all.

MMBN is a far different beast from the the original series. While taking some inspiration from the original series of being able to use enemy like moves and more from your attacks stored in chips. It has become an rpg game with an action like battle system. Where there are random battles on the internet. You are put in a 3 by 3 square. Enemies appearing on a 3 by 3 square in front of you. You can move between the squares that make te 3 by 3 square to dodge attacks or send your attacks at your enemies. It can be long games. The better games of the series are 2, 3, 5 and 6. Being the better built ones. MMBN 1 being the starter it had design flaws that were ironed out in later series. MMBN 4 being a mess of translation errors and a game that wanted you to play it like 3 times with new game plus each time getting harder to get you more chips. Sadly no collection of sorts for this series so not as easy to play them all. Though they are on the Wii U Eshop.

MMZX being aWell obviously the x series to the zero series like the x series was to the classic. Brings it to a more metroidvania platforming game. With a story contination of a far future after the Zero series. Where you can switch your abillities. Of where you gain the abillities to be the main reploids of the Zero series. Of Zero and X combined the the four guardians from that game. Since the Story has ties to the Zero series it would probably be better to play some zero series before ZX for story purpose. Other then that it is a fun game full of mini games and metroidvania goodness. ZX Advent has you become Axel from the X series. WIth the copy abillity better then ever. Allowing you to be the bosses you face. So yeah this Series while not as hard as Zero is pretty good. Only two games on the Ds so not hard to collect.

Megaman Legends while a bit tank controlly still is rather fun. Has a hilarious cast and is a fun exploring game. Where there arnt boss powers. You do get weapons you can craft. Power ups to your buster. Fun dungeons to explore. A bit weird between the first two games its rather fun. Tron bonne changing it up a bit. It is a good series and avliable on the ps3 store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom