• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best 'mech' anime/manga

So, I'm not big into the Mech genre when it comes to anime and manga but I've recently started reading the Evangelion manga and its pulling me in.

So as a Mech novice i'm wondering which Mech anime/manga series you forumers enjoy and why.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
  • Guilty Crown
  • Aldnoah.Zero 1&2
  • Macross Frontier
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
  • Gurren Lagann.
Really hard to get into this one since the humor is so "out there" (think Kill la Kill). I'd recommend it if you're looking for something that's not meant to be as serious as, say, the Evangelion series.

Code Geass is definitely a must-watch, though.

• Guilty Crown
  • Aldnoah.Zero 1&2
  • Macross Frontier
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
Really hard to get into this one since the humor is so "out there" (think Kill la Kill). I'd recommend it if you're looking for something that's not meant to be as serious as, say, the Evangelion series.

Code Geass is definitely a must-watch, though.

I know i hate Gurren Lagann, i cant stand it. Though i LOVE Code Geass, the english dub has my favourite voice actor so i was very happy with that. Though i never saw it as a mech anime, just an anime with mechs in it, if you know what i mean.

As for Macross, im currently watching Macross Plus. Feels nice to see some oldschool handdrawn anime.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Most "mech anime" are anime that just happen to have mechs. It's not really a genre.

I won't break the Code Geass recommendation combo. By far the best mech series, and one of the best anime in general.

Stay away from Gurren Lagann unless you enjoy really stupid humor, and a lot of it.

Be careful with Gundam; some series are okay, but most are awful. Wing is pretty good. My favorites are 0080 and MS IGLOO (both OVAs). Stay away from everything Zeta-related.

I haven't watched the others that have been suggested. I neither like nor dislike mechs, since as I said, it's not really a genre, some shows just happen to have them. Last Exile could have easily had mechs instead of airships.

ThePurpleKnight

ThePurpleKnightmare
Code Geass is the best anime and it has mechs in it.

Also Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny are both good.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Gundam Wing should have been called Gundam: Emo Force. Most of the protagonists are unbearable. Add in all of the recycled combat footage for extra irritation. I echo the recommendation of 0080. It's both excellent and bite-sized. Even if you don't love it, it's only six episodes.

For some old school mecha, check out Super Dimension Fortress Macross.

For some old school mecha, check out Super Dimension Fortress Macross.

I saw the bastardization of Super Dimension Fortress Macross known as Robotech, I'm familiar with the animation but not sure how much of the story was changed. I've seen Macross Plus recently and damn was it brilliant.

As far as mechs go now I think Macross is the only way left for me to go, I've got Geass watched, Burst Angel was horrible and I'll be hunting down 0080, i've not even heard of that one so i'll give it a go. Though after researching Macross it seems the only series after SDF and Plus is Frontier, hopefully that one is as decent as people say.

I got recently burned by Evangelion too, the manga is fine but the two 'rebuild' movies are bloody horrible.

Let's go a bit old-school.

Manga:
Mazinger Z
Getter Robo
Astro Boy
Doraemon

(You never really specified the era and the age preference, so there's that... :P)

Anime:
Genesis of Aquarion
Bokurano
Doraemon

(Yeah, "Doraemon" ain't really a "mech" anime, but the protagonist's a robot. It's also the childhood of any good ol' Japanese.)

Salem

SICK
Most "mech anime" are anime that just happen to have mechs. It's not really a genre.

I haven't watched the others that have been suggested. I neither like nor dislike mechs, since as I said, it's not really a genre, some shows just happen to have them. Last Exile could have easily had mechs instead of airships.
Yeah, but that doesn't mean having or not having mechs serves no value to the anime, that's like saying "School rumble takes place in a school"but there's no "school genre" that I know of. I'm not trying to contradict your point,I'm saying if an Anime has mechs or not makes a difference to some people.

Gundam Wing should have been called Gundam: Emo Force. Most of the protagonists are unbearable. Add in all of the recycled combat footage for extra irritation.
Gundam Wing was my favorite anime in elementary school. Looking back, I have no idea why; it's dry as ****ing dust, and the characters are awful. except for Wufei. he's actually pretty hilarious in retrospect.

I'm not into mecha, but I had a friend who was. if you want to go super old, there's always the Mazinger series! Had a pretty formative influence on mecha. Mazinger Z gets bonus points for having horrible subs.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Gundam Wing was my favorite anime in elementary school. Looking back, I have no idea why; it's dry as ****ing dust, and the characters are awful. except for Wufei. he's actually pretty hilarious in retrospect.

yes, Wufei was that character that sort of could see through the fourth wall and spent half his time on screen being like "are you assholes ****ing serious? WE HAVE MASS MURDER TO COMMIT!"

for me the most interesting characters in both the original Mobile Suit: Gundam and Gundam: Wing were the antihero villains in Char Aznable and Zechs Marquise respectively (though Zechs was really just sullen, effeminate version of Char in the end... at least Char eventually developed a genocidal streak)

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
I remember an anime called "Gundam Blaze." I don't remember much about it, though. Since I've seen no other mech animes, that is the best by default.

Cross

For rent
Gundam(Original, 8th MS Team, 0080 War in the Pocket, 0083 Stardust Memory, Zeta, Char's Counterattack, Unicorn, G, X, Turn A, 00, and Build Fighters)
Gurren Lagann
Rahxephon
Eureka 7
Code Geass
Macross

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom