• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Inventory Systems

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I searched for a like thread and found nothing.

If you hadn't already figured it out from the less than cryptic title, this thread is about which inventory systems in video games you like the most. Whether it be imaginative or creavite or spaceous or intuitive, almost all of us will have encountered at least one inventory system we really liked. So tell us what it was. And if you feel like it, tell us which ones you really didn't like as well.

---

For me, when I think of a good inventory system my mind immediately goes to Resident Evil 4 and Leon's stylish and spaceous attaché case. I like that you could upgrade your inventory space over the course of the game and because I spent a lot of time cramming so many herbs and grenades and bullets in there, each upgrade felt like money well spent and gave me a great sense of relief. It's nice when upgrades in a game have a genuine and immediate effect on gameplay :)

The real beauty of the attaché case for me though was the way you could manually rearrange all of the items in it, even rotating them to fit any smaller spaces that might exist. When picked up, items would just fit the first available space and it wasn't always arranged very efficiently. It almost became like an OCD for me but I spent nearly a third of my time on the game in the inventory moving things around. Sometimes I would have all of my weapons on the left, with handgun at the top, shotgun beneath and then my rifle with appropriate ammo arranged similarly next to them. Then I'd have herbs and grenades on the right, with First Aid Sprays on the bottom. then, two chapters later I might go back in and change it all, putting my weapons along the bottom, healing items on the left, ammo in the centre and grenades on the right. Sometimes Flash grenades would be placed at the top with Incendiaries at the bottom. Othertimes Incendiaries would be in the middle and Frags would be at the top. Sometimes I'd combine herbs as soon as I found them, other times I'd separate my Greens, Yellows and Reds just because I liked the way they looked.

Whatever way I arranged my attaché case, the important thing was that I could arrange it however I pleased. There was just something about opening the case and manually moving things around, managing the space with Tetris-like efficiency to maximise the room within, that I fell in love with. I was terribly sad to see it go for Resident Evil 5 and would be ecstatic if it ever returned. Please, Capcom, give me another attaché case for all of my things :puppy:

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
I can't really think of many right now but the one that pops into mind is the Dragon Age: Origins inventory.
Everything can be separated into tab for weapons, armour, potions, alchemical ingredients, etc, and when you select a weapon or piece of armour from your inventory, it automatically shows its stats in comparison to the gear you are currently wearing.

556-1-1263270444.jpg

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I really can't say much more beyond what C said. Resident Evil 4's system is simply grand, and I loathe the reversion that 5 and 6 carried with them.

The ONLY thing that stops RE4's system from being the greatest-ever-made-system in my mind is that, even with all of the upgrades, I still couldn't carry every single item in the game. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom