• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Game Franchises List (My Opinion)

Majora's Cat

How about that
Okay, I understand there are enough threads that revolve around this subject. Even one of my very own threads is centered around this idea, but I want to set the record straihgt. I have seen too many lists of the greatest franchises that are completely absurd. Franchises like Metroid and other greats are not included in these lists. One of such lists even lists Zelda as tenth. Tenth?! So, without further ado, from my experiences I shall put together a list of the truly great game franchises. :)

1. Zelda - This needs no reason - Zelda obliterates all game franchises with its level design, music and legendary reputation.

2. Mario - Some will agree, some will argue. Mario is considered by critics to be one of the greatest, but I cannot say the same for the regular gamers (especially those Microsoft and Sony fans). Plus... about 75% of Mario games are total garbage and should never see the light of day (although most of them have sold millions - no clue why :S).

3. Metal Gear Solid - Heavily praised by critics and PlayStation fanboys, MGS is always given extremely high praise, but usually not by Nintendo fans.

4. Halo - Okay, you guys can bash me all you want, but Halo's impact on the gaming industry is undeniable. Each Halo game was followed up by another smash-hit. If you were to compare Halo to a baseball game, it would be hitting a grand slam.

5. Metroid - Here's where I went wrong before. Metroid fansites have started blooming (one of which I have joined), and Metroid becomes more popular by the second. This franchise introduced gaming's iconic woman, Samus. The first successful franchise with a woman starring as the protagonist won over the hearts of many, and her constant success has other franchises frothing with jealousy.

6. Half-Life - Half-Life often escapes the minds of many gamers, but true gamers will always have a place for HL in their hearts. This franchise has been very successful, its games garnering high praise and large crowds of fans everywhere.

7. Final Fantasy - Ah, where would RPGs be without FF? Easily the greatest RPG franchise of all time, FF will always be a winner in gamers' eyes.

8. Grand Theft Auto - Let me say this: GTA may be one of the most hated franchises ever. It is extremely controversial. Praised by critics, criticized by gamers. Nonetheless, GTA revolutionized open world gaming as we know it.

9. Resident Evil - There are some fantastic installments in the series, but a few of the other games (usually unnoticed) are trash.

10. Sonic - I honestly don't believe that the Sonic franchise was as good as people make it out to be. There are only a few gems in the gargantuan mass of trash, even moreso than Mario's trash bin. Even with all this, a few Sonic games rise above and beyond, letting the blue hedgehog weasel his way into this list.

Majora's Cat

How about that
I respect Kingdom Hearts, but I don't think it did enough. Players respect it a lot, but critics don't seem to love it.

Majora's Cat

How about that
What I meant is gams like Mario Party. If you do your research, you will find a bevy of terrible Mario games. Mario games are either gimmicky or fantasic. Keep in mind that most of these bad games are not well-known.

You forgot the Mother series. That should be on the top 3.

Awesome gameplay, great characters, and a touching story. I admit that I cried at the end.

Majora's Cat

How about that
I probably would've put Mother in my personal Top 20, but I just wanted to choose the absolute best of the best. Not everything was in my opinion - I drew a lot of my franchises from regular gamers' opinions.

Mother would probably be every gamer's favorite series if it was known more.

C'mon Reggie! Release Mother 1 and 3 in America!

W

Wolfang31

My friend said they couldn't release Earthbound/Mother because of some "controversy" or whatever... I don't exactly know. Earthbound has never been released in Europe.

So if we consider that Earthbound only has one game in North America... then why shall it be on the list.

I agree that Mario Games are simply getting worse... Mario Party, Mario Sports or whatever (except Mario Kart and the original Mario Tennis). And Mario Galaxy 2 was seriously too easy. Metroid is still underrated but got an interesting story. And I don't understand the success of Halo... sorry.

i'm just glad you didn't put the severely overrated call of duty series on the list (no offense to fans of the series, i just think it's overrated) and yeah, mario sports games are garbage. though mario does still have a LOT of awesome games on the wii like mario kart, super mario galaxy, super mario galaxy 2, and new super mario bros wii. and that list is only the wii games :)

W

Wolfang31

I did it at 100% and few days later, I sold my game. And it was still easy... much less than the first in my opinion.

SheikahWarrior

Randomus Pervertus
You didn't put pokemon on D:

How can anyone make a best game series list without including pokemon!?

Apart from that, I totally agree with you (Well, about the games I've played, never touched a halo or half life game :P)

Majora's Cat

How about that
Sorry. I never liked Pokemon. My friends were ridiculed for playing it back in the day, but I never followed suit with them. I just sat by, annoyed that all they would do in their free time was talk about Star Wars and play Pokemon. WTH?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom