• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Bellum - Vaati

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Okay so while answering another thread which spoke of the cyclic nature of the Spirits of Hero,Goddess and Hatred it occurred to me that Malladus, Bellum and Vaati do not fit the spirit of Rage very well, in vaati we see a very high intelligence and loathsome disregard for humanity, whereas Ganondorf seems more cunning as does Demise.

Now we could argue that Demise's spirit of hatred split into quite a few pieces which would explain a few things but this theory isn't about that.

No my question is do you think it's Plausible that Bellum could be a reincarnation of Vaati. Both show a blatant disregard for people and use them to get their own ways both use catpaws to do their work (soldiers, Ghost Ship/Cubus Sisters) and both are searching for power. They also both drain the "life force" from Zelda turning her to stone both times.

To me it seems like after Vaati's biggest defeat he reverted into a bestial creature that had to refill it's resevoirs of life to be able to regain his original body, but because he can't do much at the time he uses the Ghost Ship as a feeder unit, it gathers the life force and brings it back to the weakend Vaati and over time his body changes in response to the life force taken from greedy seafarers, making his physical body soft and pliable like most marine creatures. Notice both have an overly big fixation on Eyes as well. You can't wound either of them properly unless it's in the eye.

So what do you all think?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I think they are related, but not in a reincarnation kind of way - I think that one is used so often in Zelda theory and it takes a lot of evidence to convince anyone. I'm working on a giant theory of sorts, sort of like a rewrite of Hyrule Historia with some of my other theories woven in. I'll try and post some of it when I'm finished.

Kyru

WOAHHHH!
They have similar appearances which I could see as being a good point to argue that they are similar however... I don't know. You need to find more evidence/persuade us better with this theory here.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
They have similar appearances which I could see as being a good point to argue that they are similar however... I don't know. You need to find more evidence/persuade us better with this theory here.

I wasn't just using appearances as a link, i used their behaviors and what they both did to zelda, both of them used catspaws to get what they wanted both have a disregard for life and both are seeking power, in both cases they targeted zelda and stole her life force at various points. Not to mention the fact that both of them have this weird thing going about both eyes and floatyness. I will admit that Vaati in his reborn and onwards forms are more spectral but then Bellum is quite similar to a spectral being, both are able to take over a persons forms albeit in different ways and both show amazing control over their minions.

It's an interesting theory; one of the biggest problems I have with Phantom Hourglass is the fact that there's no explanation about Bellum whatsoever. His motivation for gathering all the Life Force is never explained, so is it possible that he's just some marine predator and not even evil? If that's the case then why is Oshus so concerned about him? I like your theory because it suggests an answer to the question, "What is Bellum?" but there's not a whole ton of evidence.
This post also makes an interesting implication. I had always assumed that when Demise references an incarnation of his hatred, he was talking specifically about Ganondorf. But is it possibly that other villains of the Zelda universe exist because of Demise's curse as well?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'm of the thought that Ganondorf is basically the reincarnation of Demise. Demise was designed specifically to have a visual connection with Ganon and Aounuma also said SS would explain Ganondorf's origins (It was a very very very lame explanation and SS should be retconned but whatever). Aounuma did not say he would explain the origins of other villains and I think that is because their origins weren't explained. Other villains do not have any more connection to demise than a common moblin for instance, they are not the incarnation of hatred that Demise spoke of. Some like Vaati were not born of evil but were corrupted. Ganondorf however was evil from the start.

I know this thread is 5 years old, but I feel like leaving this here for any future wanderers.

I just recently played through Phantom Hourglass and Minish Cap back to back.

The whole reason I stumbled upon this thread was the extreme similarities I noticed between Vaati and Bellum.

aside from using the same aesthetic, there is a a strong common trait among them both.

in Minish cap, Vaati uses his power to turn people to stone. He attempts to drain Zelda of the “light force.”
-Force, for those who may not know, is a power that resides within everyone. The light Force is just an ultimate form of said life force.

Then, in Phantom Hourglass, those who enter the ghost ship are turned to stone.
it is said in game that those who enter the ghost ship are “drained of their very life force.”

Seems awful similar. Gross eyeball being. Turns people to stone. Drains their life force.

My immediate thought was that Bellum was just the resurrected power of Vaati- Not Vaati per se, but just the evil and power that resided in him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom