• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Beliefs and relationships

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
"Maybe it's time I bothered a mod to take the self imposed child blocks off the mature discussion section." I said to myself.

To which my self replied, "You're an idiot."

Ah well :shrugs: I can't resist the allure of healthy discourse. :wynaut:

Reactions: Dan

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I've been wondering about this issue not with politics, but with religion. I'm atheist. Not evangelical, but I find it unlikely I'll ever be converted to a religion seriously (my position in pastafarianism notwithstanding). My girlfriend, on the other hand, is religious. Much like me, she isn't evangelical and I doubt she'll ever be atheist - not that she'd be as happy atheist.
We're both happy with our stances and each other. But, if we stay together long enough, if we have kids... I do wonder what's going to happen then. Which way we'll go. I'll push for not introducing them to religion at such a young age. She'll probably push for them to join the church. I don't know how that'd end up... it can be a very polarizing topic, arguably moreso than with politics.

Reactions: Dan
The right is collectively assumed to hate certain minority groups, but then here's the part people overlook: the left fuels this by attacking the wrong people, thinking any conservative is racist/sexist... This just makes the right (including more neutral-right individuals) hate the left (and corresponding minorities) more.

So wait, the left fuels racist and sexist behavior by calling out existing said behavior? That's nonsense. It's no different from a violent abuser that tells their victim "see what you made me do?, you made me do this!".

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
I've been wondering about this issue not with politics, but with religion. I'm atheist. Not evangelical, but I find it unlikely I'll ever be converted to a religion seriously (my position in pastafarianism notwithstanding). My girlfriend, on the other hand, is religious. Much like me, she isn't evangelical and I doubt she'll ever be atheist - not that she'd be as happy atheist.
We're both happy with our stances and each other. But, if we stay together long enough, if we have kids... I do wonder what's going to happen then. Which way we'll go. I'll push for not introducing them to religion at such a young age. She'll probably push for them to join the church. I don't know how that'd end up... it can be a very polarizing topic, arguably moreso than with politics.

Have two kids and only take one to church.

So wait, the left fuels racist and sexist behavior by calling out existing said behavior? That's nonsense. It's no different from a violent abuser that tells their victim "see what you made me do?, you made me do this!".
Audience? Like I said, extremists have very closed minds and refuse to see things not their way. Be on your way, then. I won't try correcting you, you poor lost soul.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
2014-01-17-beartato-politicalroundtable.png

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
If you disagree with someone on something and you can't change their views or don't want to fight with them then generally it is best to just avoid the subject with them that you disagree on. It doesn't mean you can't be friends with them. They have other aspects to them which may be pleasant unrelated to their views on a particular topic.

For instance I am not religious but I am friends with some Muslims and although they blast people with muslamic ray guns I can still enjoy their company.

Same with politics. I can get on with remainers. People have their reasons for wanting to stay in the EU as I had reasons for wanting to leave.

I can even get on with people who like amiibo or sometimes if they dislike the Witcher 3 though they have to be really special to make up for that.

It's when these people push their views all the time or become uncivilised thats when I don't want to interact with them. Because it becomes a chore going over the same topics I don't want to talk about.

Of course if someone legitimately wanted me dead because of my genetic traits then I just couldn't get on with such a person for obvious reasons even if they had some good qualities as well.

Last edited:

Kirino

Tatakae
I consider myself to be relatively open-minded and someone who isn't easily offended, so it'd probably take a lot for me to not associate with someone who I would otherwise enjoy being around solely because of their political or religious beliefs. It's more about how they express those beliefs and why they have them, since I enjoy discussing issues with friends/acquaintances and expect them to be mature and open-minded when we do so, and can't stand excessively partisan or ideological people.

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
The idea of fundamental disagreements in a relationship has never bothered me; and may even provide a strong source of discussion in said relationship. I doubt that will ever happen though. My last 3 relationships have all left an extremely poor outlook on them from my perspective, and I doubt I'll be able to recover from this complex enough to function with a partner without being extremely jealous and toxic.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Generally, I don't mind my friends having different political beliefs or religious beliefs unless I feel that they're extreme in such a way that greatly threatens the rights of other people. Most of the time I don't have a problem keeping friends who are reasonable on either part of a spectrum. I do think it is pushing it to keep a close friendship with someone who is far far left social justice warrior or far far right conservative though since either of those would be very at odds to what I'd want to surround myself with.

In terms of a romantic partner, holding many political beliefs that were majorly at odds to mine or having religion as a heavy part of their life would probably be a deal breaker for me. I'd like to be able to have agreement on pretty fundamental and important things with a partner (while of course being able to disagree on some topics too).

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I have plenty of friends with different beliefs than me. For a romantic partner though I would like them to be at least similar both politically and religiously. Basically echoing Jimmu here.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I don't think beliefs necessarily need to coincide a relationship. I'm a practicing atheist, but the girl I'm head over heels for is Roman-Catholic. As long as everyone can be civil, it shouldn't matter.

Misty

Ronin
I mean, in terms of friends, I don't really think there is a political stance that would make me not want to talk to them...unless all they ever wanted to do was talk about that political topic. And then I wouldn't want to be friends with them because they're boring.

In terms of like, religious, I'mma go ahead and say I don't think I could be friends with someone who was seriously a Satanist. Like, call me old-fashioned, but there's just something a little off-putting about someone choosing to identify with the teaching of evil. It's like if there was a religion that supported I dunno, like punching kittens, puppies, babies, and hamsters. I think I'd be a little wary of someone that was like "well, yeah, I obviously go in for all that and I'm going to a kitten punching next week." It isn't just that they're harming another creature, it's that out of all the potential ideologies they chose that one?! What kind of person chooses that one!

I'll admit the older I get, the less time I have for the average le skeptic atheist. But, I'm still friends with a lot of them, I just don't see myself reaching out to get me more of those without the person being really really great. It's not even really their opinion so much as how they inevitably present it that makes me want to hit myself with a frying pan.

In terms of a romantic partner, I mean, I'm faithful, but not really religious persay. I suck at following the commands of my God, so I don't see myself getting all high and mighty about it. I know that I would prefer a partner abide by my wishes and not eat pork or shellfish. I know that I won't and I won't want it kept in my house. I don't keep sabbath now, but I'm hoping for that to change when it doesn't mean destroying my job and future ability to have a family so I would hope they would observe it with me. I would hope to someday convert that person, but I'm totally on board if they want to try to convert me too. That street goes both ways. I don't go to church and think it's a mockery of god's law and despicable.

So to me, there's higher virtues to seek in a partner than whether they agree with me on my faith. And compromising is a good skill to learn in marriage (or so I've been told by married people that don't hate each other and so my own perception of my parents who do hate each other and never compromise shows). Some people don't wanna compromise on this and I can theoretically understand that. It just isn't me. So long as my husband is kind, forgiving, loving, joyful, and hard working (hot af), I think we have an entire life-time together to work on what the other believes. In terms of children, I would like to raise them to at least know about my faith like my parents did, but I think it is something they should choose for themselves.

I don't have any left wing friends, (or at least they're no too far left that I'm aware of) but a good chunk of my family is. We fling insults at each other after a few beers, but never anything serious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom