• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Being Able to Play After Completion

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
YES EXACTLY FINALLY SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS!

I made a thread on this exact same topic way way back. I absolutely hate going through all of the trouble of saving the land defeating the badguy then opening up my file again just to have my companion say "c'mon Link we have to go stop blahblahblah"... I JUST DID THAT

I'd like new sidequests to pop up and i'd like to see how the land of Hyrule has prospered and progressed due to the fact that I just saved it.

But Nintendo will most likely stick to their traditions. The games that I feel handled the end of the quest the best was the original LoZ and WW. LoZ gives you a new vastly different second quest to start, and WW puts a triforce next to your file (finally some recognition) and starts a new quests with minor variations. Though these both only work once

Kirino

Tatakae
I like the idea but the problem lies in what zelda is. In most zelda games the darkness or evil in the games are minions of some upper level enemy in the game. Take TP for example. In Twilight Princess after you beat King Bulblin and he finally says that he's done fighting you and all (4th and final battle) he leaves. So if the game continued that would have to take out Bulblins, one of the most common enemies in the game. In addition, beating Zant means no more twilight baddies. So that knocks everything down to low level enemies for the most part, meaning that fighting continues with less of an impact.

Then all they'd have to do is make a story/game without these easily removable limitations. It doesn't have to break the story, and even if there were some minor limitations, it would be easy to get around them.

Johnny said:
Next we have the puzzles. If there are side quests and such after the game, the rewards would only serve to add to a collection that ultimately has little or no use. Increasing your wallet size or quiver capacity after the game is done, while a nice accomplishment, really doesn't do much for you other than give you the ability to say, "Hey, I upgraded all my stuff". In the end I don't see a purpose to that either.

That's how it is already. Upon beating the game, there's no dungeons or real challenges left (aside from things like the Gerudo Training Grounds and the Cave of Ordeals), so at this point, you're only obtaining these upgrades for completion. Nothing would change just because the citizens actually acknowledge what happened. And even still, they could add a purpose.

Johnny said:
Then of course there is the element of being able to see Hyrule in a new light. I think that would be interesting, but what do you do after you've talked with everyone after saving the world. To a certain extent the people in Zelda games are clueless to the fact that you're both the hero of legend and a savior for all. I do think that the addition with new areas is cool, but you would need something to do. The reason Pokemon has replay value after it's been beaten is because there are new opponents to beat and you usually don't have a team of level 100s by the time you face off against the champion on the first round. That's why there's a post game. But Legend of Zelda, as I see it just doesn't need one. I'd like one, but I don't think there is a reasonable way to implement it unfortunately.

See, I don't understand why you feel that there has to be tons of new sidequests and content to accompany this. Look at Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Upon the game being completed, the citizens and everyone acknowledge what happened at the end and talk about it often, but no new sidequests or post-game content unlocks besides what was already available except for a few things (although it's been a while so maybe I'm missing something). You just get to see how the world is after defeating the Shadow Queen, and it's much better, imo, then just having it reset to back before the final boss and hearing the same thing. All this thread asks is that the people of Hyrule actually acknowledge what happened and that you actually get to see the fruits of your labor, instead of the game resetting. It doesn't necessarily have to have a bunch of content accompanying it. And even so, I don't see why you feel like post-game content couldn't reasonably be implemented. New sidequests possibly pertaining to the New Hyrule/how people are affected after it or just common tasks could easily be available, and new areas or post-game dungeons/challenges could be unlocked. Not that difficult. I'd say PM:TTYD and Super Paper Mario are great examples of how to handle the idea this thread puts forward.

I don't know if I like the idea. OOA and OOS did this so that you could do the passwords to get items to help you in the other game. As for adding new enemies.... I am very sketchy about this. So let us take this into OOT perspective. You beat Ganon(dorf) and now you have just downloaded the new DLC Yay. Wow a new Villian and new enemies.... but it only lasts for a few hours or days... To ME that is a waste of a good new and fresh enemy idea. Also the problem I have about DLC is it PUNISHES and ALIENATES fans of the series. The reasons is (in example) I have played every Zelda game numerous times and got the new Zelda U. I beat the game and find out there is now DLC that has new areas and new Lore. Awesome but I have 3 kids and money is tight. Now I cannot enjoy the full extent of the game and lose out on a new experience because I couldn't dish out MORE money. TO me That is just not right......

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
What's the point of beating a game if when you beat it, and turn it on again, you need to do what you've already done? Doesn't make sense. Doesn't really play into any time-travel notion in the game either. I think they did it just because that's how many games ended back then? I'm not even sure if that's true actually :p It is weird that they did that and they you can't even go back to explore the world you just saved. Just doesn't make sense. I don't really like it, tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom