• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Behavior: Online vs Offline

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I apologize if there is a similar and recent thread. I looked but did not find one.

The subject of this thread is your behavior on the internet compared to your behavior in real life. Is how you behave online different from how you behave offline? I know that some people act differently on the internet and say things to people they'd probably never say to their faces, just because the most that other person can do is say something back. I'm certain that every single one of us has been guilty of that at least once, but what I want to know is how often you do it.

We all take advantage of the anonymity the internet creates now and then, but some people take it to the point of creating a fake persona for themselves. I'm not talking about pretending to be a wolf or a reptile or a squid or anything like that; I'm talking about acting like someone you're not. I'm curious about how you guys act online as opposed to offline. Do you guys enjoy your anonymity and say whatever you want all the time, or do you generally treat others the way you'd treat them if you were communicating with them face-to-face instead of through the internet?

I try to make it a point to act online as I would offline. The me you know on this site is generally the same as the me in the real world. I don't believe in acting like a different person online because I like the person I am in real life. Naturally, there are times when I'll say or do things I normally wouldn't do in real life, but that's pretty much a given for anyone. I generally try to treat others online the way I would treat them offline, because just like me, the person on the other side of the screen has emotions and feelings that I wouldn't want to hurt. My behavior online and offline is for the most part the same.

What about the rest of you? Be honest; how is your behavior online compared to your behavior offline?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
OMG STOP IT WITH THE DISCLAIMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111 YOU'RE BREAKING THE RULES STOP IT OMG YOU NEED TO STOP THAT'S REALLY RUDE AND JUST MAKES EVERYONE UPSET!!!!!!!1113

Ahem, my behavior online is similar to my behavior offline. I'm annoying, obnoxious, and loud, and that's just who I am. Granted I'm a little more shy in real life, but my behavior doesn't differ much online vs offline.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
lol no I do not act the same way offline as I do online. Check it: I host a ton of girl names online, I type crazily (mosly liek dis bt sumtiems 4 reel liek dis lel), I am outgoing, and I'm positive.

Offline? I'm :?ing black. Nothing to be upbeat, outgoing, or positive there for me. In the offline world I never try to make a point that I'm smart or anything because I know I'm not. Online, I always try to present myself as smart, don't know why. :I

btw Disclaimer: I'm sorry if there was a thread ;)

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
My behavior online is more or less the same as my behavior offline, only difference is I am more comfortable with swearing in real life, because as many know there are kids here and swearing around them likely isn't gonna do any good. Well, and online I find it more easy to mingle with people, but after getting to know a person online I've found that having face-to-face video chats with them is pretty easy and can imagine an in person experience with the individual wouldn't be awkward at all. Only time I was ever anonymous was on tumblr a few times, there were just a few girls I came by who really thought less of themselves and I figured I'd say otherwise because the truth was that there wasn't anything wrong with them...life just really sucks for too many people, and it's a very unfortunate thing.

Last edited:

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Online, I'm kind of a :cucco:. I'm not afraid of getting into people's business or poking fun at people just to piss them off. I guess that's because I'm more open online than I am offline. Offline I just hide my emotions, and online I feel like I'm too emotional.

Did that make sense?

Conor

the over analysing guy
Well, discounting roleplaying situations, it depends.

If I'm speaking with friends I'm generally the same online and off. If I'm speaking to strangers, offline I'm way different, I act like, polite and stuff whereas on the internet I'll speak to strangers as I would my friends because I have nothing to hide.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
To be honest I'm not really sure, I basically act the same online as I would in real life, but I think I'm more outgoing in real life. Online I'm probably classed as an extrovert still but I just find it increasingly easier to talk to people in person, I don't know, conversations tend to flow better and easier. Overall though, I think my persona online is how I am all the time, but yeah in real life I'm probably a bit more out going.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I was censoring myself because dick isn't censored.

The :? are you talking about now? You're never this direct with me. You always talk to me in a third person kind of manner and now all of a sudden you have wings and a beak? Wow you pancakes are mysterious online.

Offline do you talk directly to people??

Big Octo

=^)
It's much of the same really. I enjoy being sociable and outgoing. People know me for my spontaneous and sometimes off-color humor. Though, I can still be serious and maintain a civil conversation, like I do online. I don't really hide myself that much in real life.

Clank

Hmm
I try to carry the same personality, but offline I tend to be quiet and thoughtful, whereas I am much more comfortable talking online.

Thus I try to act the same, but I usually fail due to shyness.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
The :? are you talking about now? You're never this direct with me. You always talk to me in a third person kind of manner and now all of a sudden you have wings and a beak? Wow you pancakes are mysterious online.

Offline do you talk directly to people??

Dude, what the hell are you talking about?

I've never been indirect with you.

And yes I speak directly to people offline.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Dude, what the hell are you talking about?
I've never been indirect with you.
And yes I speak directly to people offline.

Oh my goodness now a pancake is being MEAN to me? I usually put syrup on my pancakes :I

You HAVE been indirect with me, always asking questions like "Did [Ventus] do XYZ?" even though I was right there! You're indirect sometimes :)

That is good to know though. Stay strong buddy! Don't grow wings and a beak in real life, you might be ostracized. :O

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Oh my goodness now a pancake is being MEAN to me? I usually put syrup on my pancakes :I

You HAVE been indirect with me, always asking questions like "Did [Ventus] do XYZ?" even though I was right there! You're indirect sometimes :)

That is good to know though. Stay strong buddy! Don't grow wings and a beak in real life, you might be ostracized. :O

Once, in the SB when I though you left, is not always.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom