• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Beginner's Mafia 7 - Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Vote: TheMasterSword

Seems like a 'copout'

Cop humor.

Don't mean to sound rude/picky but votes should be in bold. :P

Also noticed that you post very rarely, and when you do, you bandwagon. You don't bring any evidence, instead you just vote alongside everyone else. That seems a little suspicious if you ask me, but I'm not gonna interrogate you; it's just something I observed.

SO SORRY for this not happening until now. Been busy, but also had trouble confronting this many pages of votes to go through, if I'm being honest. I don't really have a good excuse overall, so I apologize. Let's get this back on track though. It was a busy Day period and honestly the game seemed to be getting interesting there.

Inactives, modkills, replacements, that sort of thing will be handled by me over the night period. I also have some advice for you guys from what I read over the day that I'll give at the bottom of this post.

(Votes)
TheMasterSword: 7 (Keeseman, Atticus, Raindrop14, Dr3W21, Mido, JuicieJ, RegalBryant)
Dr3W21: 1 (GirlWithAFairy)

Didn't Vote: Heroine of Time, New Link, Rachel, TheMasterSword, Timeless, univpark, Violet

Resuming the investigation with renewed urgency from the death in the night, the group gathered in the parking lot. While multiple theories and accusations came up, the discussion was quickly dominated by a confrontation between Raindrop14 and Atticus, both of whom participated greatly in the discussion and made bold accusations often, including against each other. For a long time, this was all that was discussed.

Then there was a quiet, vague vote placed by TheMasterSword, which was quickly agreed upon by Dr3W21. Dr3W21 was immediately accused of voting based on someone's else's gut feeling and not his own, and he was quickly ganged up on. The argument between Raindrop14 and Atticus was quickly forgotten as it seemed that everyone was agreeing that Dr3W21 should die. But then the discussion changed subjects yet again, and far more drastically.

Attention was put on TheMasterSword for the first time, the person who started all this by placing the vote that Dr3W21 agreed with. Some said he had been more vague, and much more suspicious than Dr3W21 had been. This theory picked up momentum rapidly as, in response to his accusers, TheMasterSword indignantly told them he was a survivor from this town, even implying that he might be the town's Cop! This was enough for many of the group, and, suspicious of a claim that he couldn't back up, they quickly began to vote for him. More votes came in as further contradictions were perceived in his defense, and finally it was decided that he would die.

Adamant in his story, and still indignant about the accusations against him, TheMasterSword turned his nose up to the group and crossed his arms. He informed them that they would regret this, but made no move to stop them. The whopping 7 people who voted for him -- nearly a majority -- crowded around him, now angered by his attitude. Certain he was guilty after his behavior, they didn't think it fit to simply hang him as they had Darknut_Hunter. The crowd beat him to death. He uttered a few involuntary grunts, but was otherwise quiet. As the crowd finished and backed up from him, he drew his last breaths and spent his final words accusing his killers of acting foolishly in desperation to save themselves.

As his disdainful eyes glazed over, TheMasterSword's fist unclenched, revealing the now-bloody paper crumpled up within. It contained a list of suspects and notes on their guilt or innocence. He had not bothered to show it to them, as it would have done nothing to support his innocence more than his words had. But with him now dead and him still clutching the paper, having never shown it to anyone, the answer seemed obvious:

His claim had been the truth. TheMasterSword had been the Townie Cop.

Once more, the group retreated into their motel rooms for the night. It had been an extremely long day, feeling much, much longer than usual, though why was difficult to say. Feeling a little less hope than they had the night before, and a lot more fear for what the night might bring, everyone went to sleep.

(The Living: 14)
Atticus
Dr3W21
GirlWithAFairy
Heroine of Time
JuicieJ
Keeseman
Mido
New Link
Rachel
Raindrop14
RegalBryant
Timeless
univpark
Violet

(The Dead)
Darknut_Hunter - Townie - Lynched Day 1
Furie - Townie - Killed Night 1
TheMasterSword - Townie Cop - Lynched Day 2

Night 2 Begins

Godfather and Doctor, PM me your targets by the end of Friday the 18th.

Now for some of my advice:

You shouldn't go off of other's suspicions. You should have your own suspicions, and gather your own evidence. Never go off of what someone else has gathered. For all we know, univpark could be an inactive Townie. Does her inactivity make her suspicious? By God yes, she looks hella suspicious right now, but no matter how suspicious or scummy someone looks, they can always turn out innocent.
While all of your own votes should be based on your own feelings, that doesn't mean they won't correlate with others' theories, nor does it mean you won't or shouldn't agree with people if they make a good argument. Bandwagoning is an actual part of this game. The Majority Lynch exists for a reason (so the game can get rolling faster when people agree), and people agreeing on probable suspects is the ideal way to scumhunt.

There are three problems with this statement. One, the ignorance thing has to do with not understanding the rules of the game. Not understanding an acronym is something completely different. Two, Atticus assuming that just because I wasn't around means I'm being suspicious significantly comes across as jumping to conclusions, which is never a good thing in Mafia. And three, if I were leading a bandwagon against Atticus, I'd be going out of my way to find evidence against her, which is not what I did. If someone has their eye on me for reasons I don't feel are legit, I'm going to keep my eye on them, as well. That's a pretty natural response, don't you think?
Inactivity is suspicious. Townies have no reason to hang back. Rather, they're supposed to actively investigate. Scum benefit from being unseen. Obviously both need to strike a balance. Scum don't want to be obviously hanging back, nor do all Townies -- especially those with valuable roles -- want to be the only ones noticed, because they are obviously innocent and don't want to earn the suspicions of the Town or the attention of the Mafia.

What I'm getting at is, while players are going to have legitimate reasons to not show up, that doesn't mean anything within the game at all. Players can and probably will sometimes lie about this, while other times it will be true. The best way to not get suspected is to simply be active.

On the flip side here, though, it is a bit weird to accuse someone of suspiciously jumping to conclusions based on them mixing up game terminology. Think about it this way: How would JJ misconstruing a IGMEOY for a VOTE benefit him in any way if he were Mafia? What would be the benefit? The only people it could fool are people who don't know the terms, and that's not going to be many. So at best, the most it would do for him is... getting corrected. This is not scummy and you guys jumped to conclusions.

Ehh... I'll have to Vote: Raindrop14.
I very well may undo this vote later, but it is for this reason

I have this gut feeling that Raindrop is scum. I don't quite know how to explain my reasoning yet, however I am extremely confident in him being scum. I'll give my reasoning soon

that I vote for her.

He based it off of someone else's gut feeling. Then he says...

I would never vote for somebody just because somebody else had a gut feeling... that just wouldn't make any sense. I was trying to imply that I had a sort-of gut feeling, and I guess agreeing with another person who had a similar feeling sort-of makes it look like I was agreeing with them just for the sake of it. I should've been more specific (or just not quoted him at all).

If you were trying to imply that, you did a very poor job of it. Your reasons for voting were someone else's gut feeling. This in any way does not imply at all that you had a gut feeling. And the later post seems like a cover up for your lame voting excuse. You knew it wasn't valid after people said stuff, so you put this out there, that is completely contradictory to your orriginal statement.

I've already voted for you, but this really confirms it for me that you are mafia.
In a similar vein as the argument against JJ, this specifically is a poor one to me as well. Dr3W21's post, while poorly worded, simply said he was voting for Raindrop14 for the same reason that TheMasterSword did: "I have a gut feeling".

There isn't really a contradiction here. This is reaching for a connection, which happens a lot in Mafia and can get innocent Townies killed for reaching into a post's meaning. Certainly, people can slip and there are weird errors within their posts or their posts are harder to understand (and that may or may not be going on here), but a lot of the time people simply are not eloquent. It's safer to assume that it's simply an error, especially since, well this is the internet. Just keep in mind, while everyone and everything is suspicious in Mafia, that the Principle of Charity is still a useful tool. In other words, do not assume there to be fallacies or errors in a statement if there's still a viable way to interpret the statement as rational; don't jump at shadows.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the evidence so far has given me good faith. So my vote for Raindrop14 stands.
You never voted for anyone. There's a specific format for voting and unvoting stated in the rules in the first post. ;)

Please unvote when voting for someone new, and please bold all votes and unvotes.

And finally, regarding the TMS lynch... obviously the thing was a mistake and you lynched your cop. These things happen, but I thought I'd outline a few errors that I noticed in this case:

• Citing the "Maybe I'm wrong" thing as damning evidence that TMS was scum was a bit foolish; again, you're misconstruing bad wording. I don't see how someone could realistically think that this was some kind of accidental reveal. Think about it: If you were lying that you were the Cop, what benefit would there be to saying "Maybe I'm wrong"? The only conceivable reason to say that would be if you were trying to save face if, for some reason, you were revealed to not be the Cop. But the only time that would happen would be if you were dead. Basically there's no reason to say this, and no benefit in doing so regardless of role; how is it scummy?
  • That does still mean it was a weird, pointless thing to say, though, and TMS, you did basically invite the reaction whether it was appropriate or not.
  • TMS, you probably shouldn't have claimed. Sometimes claims are useful but it's generally wise not to trust them, and, even if they do keep you alive, the Mafia will still kill you since you're a priority target (unless of course you're relying on the Doctor to protect you... in which case, possibly very smart). Bottom line is you didn't have the most votes (although that's probably partially my fault for not tallying for you and everyone else), so you didn't have a crucial need to claim, and as a result everyone distrusted you and voted for you anyway.

Just some things to think about to avoid these situations in the future. ;)

odd300 will be replacing Violet.

Once again, the night brought disheartening sounds. Evil laughs, bangs at the door, and sounds of a scuffle. The group stayed indoors once again, afraid to either go asleep or outside. Eventually, the noise died down. The criminals also had to sleep, after all. Eventually, everyone was able to get some rest.

When they woke up in the morning, their apathy at its peak, they at first didn't see the need to do a roll-call. After all, someone had obviously died in the night. But as they woke up, their sense returned, and everyone counted the group. Everyone was present.

The rooms were investigated, and they found that one had been broken into. The room was trashed, and there was blood on the floor. But there was no body.

No one had died in the night. Someone else was still looking out for them.

The survivor had been attacked but had survived. There was no way to know who had stayed in that room that night, and the person did not come forward, likely because they could not prove they were the one. But clearly, someone had taken care of them.

With renewed hope, the group resumed the investigation.

(The Living: 14)
Atticus
Dr3W21
GirlWithAFairy
Heroine of Time
JuicieJ
Keeseman
Mido
New Link
odd300
Rachel
Raindrop14
RegalBryant
Timeless
univpark

(The Dead)
Darknut_Hunter - Townie - Lynched Day 1
Furie - Townie - Killed Night 1
TheMasterSword - Townie Cop - Lynched Day 2

Day 3 Begins

Day ends on ???. Number of votes needed for a Majority Lynch is 8.

Also, I need a replacement for univpark, and possibly for New Link if he doesn't post or isn't lynched before Day 3 is out. If anyone's watching the game and is interested, or if you know anyone who might be interested, please let me know. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom