• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Beginner's Mafia 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a foregone conclusion once the numbers are even. Cos you can just all vote for one person and keep it at a stalemate 'til the night. Then you kill one of them and you have control of the majority vote.

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
>_> Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I had a feeling that Magatha could have been a Mafioso (was one of the semi-active people). I thought for sure that HoT would be one. But it was a really fun game. I was protected by Meego. But from nothing really. Honestly, when the Mafia went on nightkill they were taking out the people that could help the Townies the most. I guess that if the Townies survived for Night 4, then I would probably have been next.

Okay, before I get into my other advice, there's one thing I want to get out of the way...

Many of the players didn't seem to even read the initial post. There was several questions throughout the game about what roles there were, and people confused about how Majority Lynches work. I am almost certain I detailed all of this in the original post, meaning that the people who asked these questions didn't even read it. I specifically requested that it be read, and it really goes without saying that if you're going to be playing a Mafia game to LEARN, you should read all the posts by the people who are supposed to be teaching you. :? Please read that first post and all of the mentor posts if you haven't already, as there's a lot of good information there for y'all. In fact, I recommend that you go re-read the thread, because knowing what you know now, you can find out a lot about what was really going on the entire game. Really informative.

There was also a lot of inactivity in this game, which is partially my fault for lagging on the deaths. I apologize to y'all for that, but I also expect more activity from you in the future. I recommend most of you sign up for a second game of Beginner's Mafia for more practice before moving onto the main games.

More specific issues are the fact that you guys basically missed FirevsIce's complete change in attitude on the final Day, and to some degree, zelda_8's. He was pretty clearly scummy. You need to pay more attention to changes in a person's attitude, and see if it seems reasonable or weird.

You also killed a lot of people for just scumhunting, instead of something that is actually a Mafia tactic. You should pay more attention to how the game is going, and think like scum to figure out what the Mafia plan is. In this game, the Mafia stayed out of everything. They were incredibly inactive, all three of them, yet you kept lynching active players. You missed that there were three people who were staying out of everything, who only spoke up loudly to defend themselves.

Townies are unafraid; They don't want to die and will defend themselves, but they should play hard. Mafia have to save their skin to win, so they're cautious. ;) Good Mafia will act like Townies, but still this is a decent rule of thumb.

Advice to the Mafia:
You guys did decently, and you won. But you still made some mistakes. Your plan was too obvious, really, and if you were up against players who could spot your strategy you'd have died fast. You need to be more active but more indistinguishable from the Town. You need to be more active in general, and not rely so much on being inactive and not getting spotted. Inactivity can still work, but it's not an absolute.

Also, FirevsIce, you'd do well to not change your attitude upon being accused. ;)

Eduarda

Srishti is annie is eduarda right?
Yes, we won! :D It was a good game. I really enjoyed it. I hope all you guys newer to Mafia will know more about it now ^^ You guys did actually play quite well considering that most of you are beginners, so thumbs up to you :yes:

I want to take you back to day 1 and 2. Mafia Played a good game, but they weren't perfect. I'm not sure how nobody picked up on Zelda_8's scummy playing... take a look at this.

Her first post of the game...

Finally some people find RVS a little suspiciousness like I do :P

Ok, so the game began. The beginning part is always a bit awkward... if I'm not mistaken... Hopefully things will get in place soon, and we can start discussing.

Her third post of the game...

Actually, I don't agree on Kokirion's lynching, but maybe that's just because I know him nicely. The way he acted is completely normal from the way he always acts. He just stuck to his regular beliefs on the Mafia's behavior. If I didn't know all this, I've got to admit, I would also have been suspicious of Kokirion. And Ky, the question you brought up is also something to think about...

These two posts extremely contradict themselves. At first she says random voting is suspicious, planting the seed of suspicion on kokiron on day 1. Then after he is lynched, she said "oh that wasn't suspicious at all" Nobody caught on to this contradiction, but these are the types of mini slip ups you need to keep a watchful eye out for.

Aww, I thought that I played really well :( Oh well... And yes, I do agree with you on that. There were so many suspicious things about me, that none of you even picked up. To me, I thought that I could handle the town for the most part... well until someone reread all my posts and noticed all the suspicious things, then I would have been dead right there, but the biggest threat to me was the cop. If they (jd) caught any of my mistakes, I would have died.

Actually the first post was not to plant suspicion on Kokirion, but I guess it came out like that :P My next post was actually not talking about the Random lynching. It was more referring to Kokirion's 'scum list'. He stuck to his regular beliefs when deciding who was suspicious and who was not.

Now let me take you to her 2nd post of the game...

Ok, many pages :P Cool...

So I have found some other suspicious things, but I would rather accuse others with a strong ground, and not just a bit of loose sand.

Anyways, I have to say, I'm with jd (jdenicholls) on this. In my opinion The Truth is no good for the town. I think I remember that Axel said once that confusing townies are no use and should be voted out. It only makes the situation worse. Sorry if you didn't say that Axel, but I remember someone did, and I sort of agree on that. Also, I want to point out something, Kokirion:

First of all, what's meta's? o_O

And next, you say that The Truth is inexperienced. Now, if we look at it this way, if you were an inexperienced townie, and you get the role of a Mafia, first thing you will do, is get really excited. I'm sure we can all agree on that. Experienced Mafia will stay calm, but if it's your first game (I don't know for sure if this is The Truth's first game, but it sure looks like it) and you end up Mafia, you'll post a lot. You'll get excited. You'll make bad mistakes. And if we look here, then The Truth is the second highest poster so far with 6 posts. He's obviously excited.

FoS: The Truth
Will probably turn into a vote soon.

Now if The Truth is not a Townie, sure, he can also be excited since it's his first game, but tell me; what is he contributing to the town? He's only creating confusion. Flip flopping votes will only create confusion. It's a win win for the town if we vote him out. If he's Mafia, he's gone. If he's townie, he's not creating any more confusion. Well, I'll probably vote for him in my next post, but I want to hear what The Truth has to say first. For now, it's a strong FoS.

This post was made on day 1... Anybody with that much "analysis" on day one is up to no good. If you are playing a day start game. that means no investigations could have occurred prior to the day starting, which means the ONLY people who have information about who's guilty and who's innocent is the mafia.

Lastly... In this game scum rarely voted. Voting patterns are important to watch for... "middle of the wagon" and "not voting" are the two most common places for scum. If someone isn't voting then they are not acting in a pro-town manner. So watch people's voting habits.

Ok, I admit, I totally slipped in the beginning of the game. That was because I hadn't played Mafia in a long time, but soon I got the hang of it again. I now find it stupid that I tried so hard to get a townie lynched when we still had a lot of time. Later on, I found out that the town won't be willing to vote unless it's near the end of the day (in most cases) so I made a plan for the end of the last day, that we will start accusing heavily more at the end of the day to pressure the town to hurry up and vote someone before time runs out. It didn't exactly turn out like that though.

And not voting isn't exactly a Mafia tactic I think. You know more than me, but you got to count activity/inactivity too if you are going to come to that conclusion. If someone's inactive, they might miss the end of the day.

FirevsIce, can't believe you hammered so tentatively. I would have just gone "I'm scum. And we've won. Vote: Hero of Time".

Yeah, actually, but as FvI said, he didn't know. I came to him and asked him why he voted Rishian when we only need one more vote left, and then explained to him how we will win if we successfully lynch HoT. Also, I needed to double check this with Axel since if I turn out wrong, the Mafia is doomed, and we couldn't mess up at the end of the last day, that would just be horrible! So I let FvI make a detailed post about voting HoT just in case if I was wrong. (I got Axel's reply the next day after that when FvI already posted)

I guess that if the Townies survived for Night 4, then I would probably have been next.

No, I'm pretty sure it would have been GG xD

More specific issues are the fact that you guys basically missed FirevsIce's complete change in attitude on the final Day, and to some degree, zelda_8's. He was pretty clearly scummy. You need to pay more attention to changes in a person's attitude, and see if it seems reasonable or weird.

Really? I guess I didn't even notice FvI's change in his attitude.

You also killed a lot of people for just scumhunting, instead of something that is actually a Mafia tactic. You should pay more attention to how the game is going, and think like scum to figure out what the Mafia plan is. In this game, the Mafia stayed out of everything. They were incredibly inactive, all three of them, yet you kept lynching active players. You missed that there were three people who were staying out of everything, who only spoke up loudly to defend themselves.

Only one person from what I remember; Kokirion. The rest were inactives.

Advice to the Mafia:
You guys did decently, and you won. But you still made some mistakes. Your plan was too obvious, really, and if you were up against players who could spot your strategy you'd have died fast. You need to be more active but more indistinguishable from the Town. You need to be more active in general, and not rely so much on being inactive and not getting spotted. Inactivity can still work, but it's not an absolute.

Yeah, so I guess I do need to play the next game before I move on. Actually, inactivity was a big part of this game. I suggested FvI and Magatha to be not be too active since this was their first game. They were actually quite good players in my opinion. I tried to be as active as I can. Mostly to lead the town in the wrong direction without looking suspicious of suddenly becoming active (someone had to do that, and it helped in our win a lot). Part of it was to challenge myself, but during this whole game, I was busy in real life, so I couldn't really be as active as I wanted to be.

Long post for no reason what so ever o_O I'm weird like that :lol:

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Aaaah nuuuu. Townie loss. Ah well, I enjoyed the few days I was alive here. Also after successfully protecting Ky on night one I knew he was innocent. And it was good to know I'd guessed correctly. The mafia just had to go and kill me. XD

kokirion

Just like you. But cooler
Zelday, you were scum??!!
That does explain why you didn't want to cooperate against FirevsIce in H&H4 :lol:, but well.. I was already dead then, so these scumslips didn't really matter anymore..

ok, some things I will reveal about me in this game (although I've hardly been alive...):

- I'm completely aware of the ZD-mafiaplaystile (that everyone is a lot more cautius). I would've never posted my scumlist in this thread if I needed to stay alive. Jo asked me to trigger some discussions to start the game, because everyone was nearly inactive. So I decided to really give this game a good start, although this was suicide for me. I made my suspicions list to post it:

they are reposting them to show everyone what they mean/or what they are referring to.

My temporary reads:

Town
-TheThruth - way to active to be real scum, inexperienced and makes a lot of mistakes. If she was Mafia, then the other Mafia goons would've probably asked her to keep a lower proflie etc. they wouldn't let her making herself this incredibly suspicious. Defenatily town
- Jdenicholls - very active, scum hunter, to active for scum

possible town
- Soldier of Link - active scumhunter. If he were Mafia, he would've had the privilage to do this during the night.
- FirevsIce - quite active, tries to come along with the game. Dares to take risks, but a bit to early to use that for a town read since not much happened yet.
- Rishian - made a good accusation on raindrop. The first real accusation in this game that is believable. But hasn't said much, so my read on him could easily change

No idea
- Zelda_8 - is posting extremely passive, quite scummy, but since she always does that, it is just a personality thing. Not very scummy, has to post more.
- Jedizora - accusing jd because he thinks scumhunting is scum. Scumhunting is town ;) you're probably targeting him because he is active.
- Ninten* - it's hard to read you, I'll finish my read on you when the game is a bit further in progress. But you do accuse Thetruth, while she is obviously a townie, maybe because she is an easy target?
- Magatha - has to post more before I can finish my read on her.

possible scum
- Meego - Posted quite a lot, but hasn't said much things that really mattered. Possibly she does this to be on the "active persons"-list while still being hard to read. Doesn't necissarily needs to be scum, but is certainly suspisious.
- Raindrop - was very passive about RVS, probably so he would've looked like the "wise" guy so there wasn't much for an RVS to stand on. Also obviously lurking, I'm quite content with my vote for him atm.
- Green Goron - passive and lurking, even more than Zelda_8 does, I haven't played much with him yet, so I can't say this is a personality thing. Very scummy. Become more active.
- Hero of Time - lurking, only made one (or 2) post(s), while he has all the time to react (he's quite an active forum member).
- Kybyrian - lurking

Scum
to few evidence..

okay lynches
- Raindrop

ok, every green sentence means that I entirely told you the truth, that I really posted what I thought.

Every grey sentence means that I just said something random because I wanted to finish my post very quick. I didn't analyze those people, only a very quick read.
:
- Randrop. In any mafia-game with many experienced players I would've really accused you because of this. It is just so extremely scummie how you reacted, but in this game it's hard to find the difference between a scum-slip and inexperience...
I had no idea what your allignment was, at the moment I posted this post, I was almost sure you was inexperienced town (otherwise Mafia would've helped you with saying the right things). I just used you here in "okay-lynches" to finish my post. I knew this was the thing that was going to trigger the most discussions, so I'm sorry guy, but I sort of used you to get the game active... I hope you won't be angry at me :D

Every red sentence means that I purposefully lied about anything I said about this person (in this post) to fool people.
:
- Kyberian. I didn't made that sentence red because I lied about it, but because I had a couple of "secret" resons to place you there.
* you were really inactive, and I just wanted to trigger you to get more active, I knew you would react if I placed you in my "possible scumlist" :lol: you was very predictable :P
** I also had the feeling that you thought that you was way to good for this beginner game. And you showed that quite a lot, being obvious inactive (you didn't really care about the game) and you were talking like you was extremely experienced.
I wanted to teach you a small lesson, I wanted to show you 2 things (how easy it is to make someone fall into a meta-trap, and that there is always room for perfection in mafia technics ; that also you could still learn a lot)
I'll tell you what my Meta was. It was very simple, not really something you work days on to invent.
Using this post (and I believe I've said it earlier to you, but I'm not sure about that), I knew you was going to react. You just did exactly what I wanted you to do, to defend yourself and to become a little bit aggressive towards me. Your cover in the beginnning was quite well, you wouldn't have been very suspicious, most people would believe most things you said.
With your reactions to what I posted (not only my scumlist, but everything I said against you), you lost your cover for a large part, it made people think about you again, to not fully trust you.
My meta would've failed if I didn't die in day one or two. But I did die in day one, so everyone saw I was town, that gave my meta a lot more effect.
It was not my intention to get you lynched, that would've just been extra. It was my intention to make you suspicious, to trigger people to re-think about you. And it worked, in night 2, the cop even investigated you.
This meta was just relatively small, (I'm a townie, so why would I make a huge setup to kill you?? :huh:) but as a lesson, maybe you should think more before posting and be less impulsive in reacting, you were really really predictable :lol:

-Meego. Same as with Kyby, the only difference was that you were not inactive. I tried to make you more suspicious as well, but more as a second target. I had a little bit the feeling that you and Kyby were buddying, that was also one of the reasons I targeted both you and Kyby.
Quite ironic, that I thought Kyby and Meego were buddying and in might 1 Meego protected Kyby. At that same night JD investigated Meego, and she was one of the people wich I really tried to get more suspicious. And the next day, JD investigated Kyby :xd:

- HoT. I only said this to get you more active and you did ;) so it worked.

and one last thing about you zelday... I seriously didn't suspect you at all, well.. I just had no idea about you. In almost every game we play, you have almost always had a special role :lol: so it's very hard to compare your playstile to that in older games, because there is just no difference

Jedizora

:right:
Just my luck. My second guess was mafia. In other words, zelda_8. And I don't blame Jden for investigating me. I just wished he didn't do it earleir So he could reveal this, so I didn't have to waste posts defending myself.

green goron

Best of the Gorons
I knew HoT was innocent once the bandwagoning on him started. I suspected Magatha because she was inactive but zelda played pretty well.;)
No, I'm pretty sure it would have been GG xD
Figured. When Day 4 started I realized since Meego,Ky, and jden were dead that I would probably be next.

Eduarda

Srishti is annie is eduarda right?
Aaaah nuuuu. Townie loss. Ah well, I enjoyed the few days I was alive here. Also after successfully protecting Ky on night one I knew he was innocent. And it was good to know I'd guessed correctly. The mafia just had to go and kill me. XD

Actually, Night 2 was probably the hardest to choose the nightkill. That night, we found out from Axel that if we don't nightkill Ky that night, then he can be saved by the doctor any other night. We got really stuck on that, but at the end FvI convinced us to nightkill you. FvI predicted that you were the Doctor, and he was right :P There was also another reason that we nightkilled you.

Zelday, you were scum??!!
That does explain why you didn't want to cooperate against FirevsIce in H&H4, but well.. I was already dead then, so these scumslips didn't really matter anymore..

Yeah, that was actually the reason :xd: You don't want to mess with the Godfather :lol:

ok, some things I will reveal about me in this game (although I've hardly been alive...):

- I'm completely aware of the ZD-mafiaplaystile (that everyone is a lot more cautius). I would've never posted my scumlist in this thread if I needed to stay alive. Jo asked me to trigger some discussions to start the game, because everyone was nearly inactive. So I decided to really give this game a good start, although this was suicide for me. I made my suspicions list to post it:

ok, every green sentence means that I entirely told you the truth, that I really posted what I thought.

Every grey sentence means that I just said something random because I wanted to finish my post very quick. I didn't analyze those people, only a very quick read.
:
- Randrop. In any mafia-game with many experienced players I would've really accused you because of this. It is just so extremely scummie how you reacted, but in this game it's hard to find the difference between a scum-slip and inexperience...
I had no idea what your allignment was, at the moment I posted this post, I was almost sure you was inexperienced town (otherwise Mafia would've helped you with saying the right things). I just used you here in "okay-lynches" to finish my post. I knew this was the thing that was going to trigger the most discussions, so I'm sorry guy, but I sort of used you to get the game active... I hope you won't be angry at me

Every red sentence means that I purposefully lied about anything I said about this person (in this post) to fool people.
:
- Kyberian. I didn't made that sentence red because I lied about it, but because I had a couple of "secret" resons to place you there.
* you were really inactive, and I just wanted to trigger you to get more active, I knew you would react if I placed you in my "possible scumlist" :lol: you was very predictable
** I also had the feeling that you thought that you was way to good for this beginner game. And you showed that quite a lot, being obvious inactive (you didn't really care about the game) and you were talking like you was extremely experienced.
I wanted to teach you a small lesson, I wanted to show you 2 things (how easy it is to make someone fall into a meta-trap, and that there is always room for perfection in mafia technics ; that also you could still learn a lot)
I'll tell you what my Meta was. It was very simple, not really something you work days on to invent.
Using this post (and I believe I've said it earlier to you, but I'm not sure about that), I knew you was going to react. You just did exactly what I wanted you to do, to defend yourself and to become a little bit aggressive towards me. Your cover in the beginnning was quite well, you wouldn't have been very suspicious, most people would believe most things you said.
With your reactions to what I posted (not only my scumlist, but everything I said against you), you lost your cover for a large part, it made people think about you again, to not fully trust you.
My meta would've failed if I didn't die in day one or two. But I did die in day one, so everyone saw I was town, that gave my meta a lot more effect.
It was not my intention to get you lynched, that would've just been extra. It was my intention to make you suspicious, to trigger people to re-think about you. And it worked, in night 2, the cop even investigated you.
This meta was just relatively small, (I'm a townie, so why would I make a huge setup to kill you??) but as a lesson, maybe you should think more before posting and be less impulsive in reacting, you were really really predictable

-Meego. Same as with Kyby, the only difference was that you were not inactive. I tried to make you more suspicious as well, but more as a second target. I had a little bit the feeling that you and Kyby were buddying, that was also one of the reasons I targeted both you and Kyby.
Quite ironic, that I thought Kyby and Meego were buddying and in might 1 Meego protected Kyby. At that same night JD investigated Meego, and she was one of the people wich I really tried to get more suspicious. And the next day, JD investigated Kyby

- HoT. I only said this to get you more active and you did so it worked.

I would have never bothered to set up a plan like that if I was townie :P

and one last thing about you zelday... I seriously didn't suspect you at all, well.. I just had no idea about you. In almost every game we play, you have almost always had a special role so it's very hard to compare your playstile to that in older games, because there is just no difference

Ok, just know this one thing, never care about my Meta. It would either:

1) Tell you nothing
2) Tell you lies

Why? Because I don't even know my Meta :xd: No, seriously, I don't. I just act like myself. You could call me a scum hunter, you can call me semi active, I don't know. It just changes based on factors from real life, and sometimes my role (Which does change every time :lol: ) There's no fixed plan or something which I want to act like. I even forgot how I acted like last game o_O (Bad memory)

Just my luck. My second guess was mafia. In other words, zelda_8. And I don't blame Jden for investigating me. I just wished he didn't do it earleir So he could reveal this, so I didn't have to waste posts defending myself.

Well, I did have to lead you guys to lynch a townie. It was easy to turn everyone's attention on you, jedi. Who was your first guess of being Mafia?

I knew HoT was innocent once the bandwagoning on him started. I suspected Magatha because she was inactive but zelda played pretty well.;)

Figured. When Day 4 started I realized since Meego,Ky, and jden were dead that I would probably be next.

Yay, someone said that I played well :D I tried hard to, that's all I can say. I wouldn't find Maggy too suspicious if I was townie, to be honest. She would have just completely slipped out of my thoughts when analyzing, and I'm sure that's what happened with all of you, so her inactivity did work in helping her.

Jedizora

:right:
At The end of the game, It was hoT. Before that, it was Jden. It was all to easy for you to turn them agaist me after that. At least I had a good defence. Oh, and lets not forget GG. Basically anybody that was active that seemed to have a couple of people listening to there every word. Magatha was semi-active, so I would have seemed like a real hpocrite by accusing her. If I did have a reason, that is.

Rishian

The Meat Shield
I know a big problem for me was not being able to be on enough to follow the way people were playing. :S
I was suprised actually that you guys didn't lynch me, but I'm still glad you didn't!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom