• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Beginner - Help Please?

Hi guys/gals, I am after some advise...

I have never really played Z games in the past but recently purchased ZBOTW and i am trying to get into it.. The game is so big and overwhelming and i was hoping for some strat tips from those that have "been there"

Basically i dont know which direction to go, Should i start trying to do the 4x devine beasts or should i start looking to complete shrines? I have 4x hearts and no additional stamina..

I just wanted a bit of direction on what is the best way to attack this game, Feel i am getting nowhere!!

Cheers :)

Night Owl

~Momentai
This game is a different beast than any other Zelda game. This game has things for you to do no matter your style.

A good option would be to first follow the story to find Impa, and get to the point you can start the memories side quest. There are several side quests and other things that can't occur until that point. (they mostly need you to have your camera) There is also a shrine that teaches advanced combat skills if you haven't figured them out already.

After that seek towers and shrines until you are satisfied with your hearts and stamina.
Then pick a divine beast and go for it.

There isn't any specified order to do things, and any story is confined to either the memories or the divine beast quest lines. So feel free to do whatever you wish when you wish.

Thanks Night Owl, I do have the camera unlocked for the memories quest however i have no idea on how to find where the pictures are! All of my map is greyed out which makes it hard... Thanks for the tips tho, I really do need to keep on persevering

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Thanks Night Owl, I do have the camera unlocked for the memories quest however i have no idea on how to find where the pictures are!
You may have met him, but there's a painter named Pikango in Kakariko Village. He can tell you the locations of the pictures. Once you do his sidequest in Kakariko, he'll start popping up all over the world. You can be sure a memory is close by if you find him.

You may have met him, but there's a painter named Pikango in Kakariko Village. He can tell you the locations of the pictures. Once you do his sidequest in Kakariko, he'll start popping up all over the world. You can be sure a memory is close by if you find him.

Thanks mate!

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Being a Zelda veteran isn't exactly an asset for this game. Anyway it's up to you, but the Divine Beasts are pretty much balanced to assume you just left the Great Plateau. Doing shrines is basically making yourself OP at this point. If you want it to be a little harder, do the beasts first. If you aren't confident do some shrines while you look for memories.

Night Owl

~Momentai
Thanks Night Owl, I do have the camera unlocked for the memories quest however i have no idea on how to find where the pictures are! All of my map is greyed out which makes it hard... Thanks for the tips tho, I really do need to keep on persevering
When I played, I first sought out the towers so I could open my map, every time I went to a new region I went to its tower before anything else. Then I just kind of wandered around aimlessly finding shrines, quests, and koroks.

Another thing is work on finding and opening fairy fountains, they let you upgrade outfits to help with not dying. The increased defense is more useful in the long run than having a ton of health.

Just have fun and take things at your own pace. If you get bored, or find yourself getting frustrated; just go do something else in the game for a while and come back later

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
I've been playing this game since release and only just completed my first divine beast. My gaming time is limited anyway but I spent so much time exploring the area, hunting shrines and koroks that I didnt feel the need to do the beasts

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
First thing to do (AT least the first thing I think you should do):
Unlock your map by climbing and activating all of the towers. Collect shrines (And Korok seeds if you can find them) along the way, and get a couple stamina. Do a Divine beast if you're nearby and feel confident. Don't do the desert one first.

Get the Master Sword, and then work on completing your STAMINA wheel. Trade Korok seeds for slots as quick as possible, and collect all of the ingredients for food that you find.

But yeah, the towers (And the shrines along the way) are priority

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I'll list a couple of things I did in general that could be useful and help structure your exploration a little in case you want that.

- Towers are a good first target whenever you first enter new territory. Not only because they chart sections of your map, but also because they give you a vantage point to survey land and choose where to go next and a warp point to pick back up from in case you want to leave for another region. Shrines are also good for warp points in case you don't feel like doing towers.

- Once you have a vantage point, you can look into the distance and just go to places that catch your interest. Chances are you'll find a korok seed or even a unique challenge if you see anything that looks interesting, even if it's not as obvious as a shrine.

- Try to keep your hearts full. Not just for the obvious reasons but also because (outside of a few exceptions like guardians and elemental hits) you can't die in one hit when you're at full health. Even if an enemy hits you so hard that you should die you'll just end up with 1/4 of a heart instead, provided you don't ragdoll down a slope. Ironically this means having more hearts can sometimes make you easier to kill, but there's still reasons to upgrade your hearts.

- On a personal note I'd advice not to try collecting everything. You'll eventually notice large chunks of content in the game (I'm mostly thinking of korok seeds in particular, although you could say the same about side quests) is pretty cookie cutter, probably because they wanted to make them so frequent that most players could find enough or more than they'd end up needing. Sometimes doing all quests in a village might get you a reward, but I'm sure the game will let you know when that specifically is true.

Hope you have fun.

Last edited:

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Choose a direction to explore, somewhere that looks interesting, try to do shrines you come across so you can upgrade to more health and stamina, climb towers to get more of the map. If you feel an area is getting too hard, then go somewhere else and go back when you are stronger and/or have better equipment. As you play you will come across more parts of the world and find more stuff to do. The joy in this game is the exploration, to find things by yourself. You will learn as you play :) Have fun and good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom