• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Beetle or Boomerang?

S

SparrowXD

atticus, he showed the video because in that boss battle you use the boomerang to PICK UP BOMBS AND THROW THEM AT DIABABA. the only difference is that the boomerang can be used multiple times, and the beetle can cut vines.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
That was one game. What about the ~12 other games that the Boomerang makes an appearance in?
First, read what SparrowXD graciously said for me here,
atticus, he showed the video because in that boss battle you use the boomerang to PICK UP BOMBS AND THROW THEM AT DIABABA. the only difference is that the boomerang can be used multiple times, and the beetle can cut vines.
secondly, one game means nothing at all. The Beetle was in one game. Ohhh snaaaap. Guess it won't return? Wrong. The Beetle - whether I like it or not - has a big change of returning. Controlling it doesn't necessitate motion controls. And it was well liked as an item. The same could apply to the Gale Boomerang...which is a Boomerang with enhanced capabilities, exactly like the Beetle itself.

Deku

...But I ain't no scrub.
Huh. I really never considered that this sort of thing would come up, but everyone seems to have interesting points here on both sides.

However, while both the Beetle and Boomerang share a few similar functions, they behaved differently enough that I could easily see both returning in future games, perhaps even in the same game. I can recall a few Zelda games where the Boomerang became entirely obsolete towards the end of the game (Ocarina for instance, at least the way I remember it), while I continued to use the Beetle until the end of Skyward Sword simply because of how fun it was to scout out my route before heading into a new area.

I think that they are both valid items, and neither really would render the other obsolete. In Wind Waker, the Boomerang received heightened functionality with the ability to select multiple targets, which proved invaluable against Big Octos, bosses, and puzzles alike. And of course stunning foes using the targeting system in close-quarters combat seems to be just as useful as controlling the Beetle to achieve the same goal from farther away. Using each one was its own experience, and each felt differently during gameplay.

On a personal level, if I have to pick a favourite I'd go with the Beetle, but both are great items and are really fun to use. I hope that both remain mainstays in the series for as long as it runs.

onebizarrekai

gay energy
Boomerang. I really didn't like the Beetle very much, even though the only difference is that the Beetle is controllable. Which is why I didn't like it. I prefer targeting over controlling, especially since controls by tilting the Wii Remote seem to hate me.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
The beetle was a great item, but it was a one trick pony. We love and appreciate how innovative it was (hint hint, wink wink, Nintendo, your fans like innovation) but that was all it really had. Most of its tricks are the exact same as a boomerang, but with less speed and more distance. There's a reason we didn't get a boomerang in SS, we didn't need it. So under all that shiny, coolness, we really just got more of the same. (This seems like a very familiar SS conclusion) The only original thing the beetle gives us is the ability to explore without actually doing it ourselves... because that's... handy? I'm being silly now, (parentheses EVERYWHERE!) but seriously, the beetle will have a hard time replacing the boomerang due to the boomrang's staplenous (not a word) and the beetle's lack of combat usage and originality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom