• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Beauty and the Beast (2017)

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Pretty boss. Still not certain this was necessary, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt :)

Dunno about Watson either. I mean, I know she's popular with the kiddies and she suffices for the part but she's not exactly the first person I think of when I think "Belle". Dunno who that would be though. There's such a severe dirth of female talent in cinema these days, Watson's probably the best bet anyway. Belle always struck me as a bit more mature woman... Watson's still got that air of childishness going for her.

One of my favorite things about BatB is the castle, and to see it showcased so prominently in this trailer is spot on. I assume there'll be a big focus on the set in the movie if this trailer is any indication so if anything warrants a live action remake, it's the castle. I can also assume the creature effects for Beast will be superlative given what Disney has been doing with mocap and CGI recently.

I dunno who they're getting to play Cogsworth and Lumiere, but I'll just come out and say it up front. Nothing is going to surpass the epic duo that was Jerry Orbach and David Ogden Stiers. EDIT: Holy !!! I can't believe I didn't recognize the voice!! okay, so... yeah, those two might give David and Jerry a run for their money lol.

BatB is pretty much the only classic animation Disney film I care a great deal about. So yeah, can't say I'm not entirely uninterested in this lol.

Last edited:

Mido

Version 1
I dunno who they're getting to play Cogsworth and Lumiere, but I'll just come out and say it up front. Nothing is going to surpass the epic duo that was Jerry Orbach and David Ogden Stiers. EDIT: Holy !!! I can't believe I didn't recognize the voice!! okay, so... yeah, those two might give David and Jerry a run for their money lol.

Cogsworth and Lumiere are voiced by Sir Ian McKellen and Ewan McGregor, respectively. I personally think they do a fine job, although if I were to assess them, it does seem McGregor is trying to emulate Orbach's voice while McKellen sort of does his own thing with it. Doesn't sound nearly as quirky as David Ogden Stiers, but a bit more grounded.

Mido

Version 1
Oh, I didn't take notice of your edit, @Castle, so just disregard my previous post! :sweat:

As far as watching the final trailer went, my excitement remains strong! Looks excellent! I suppose the rest of my expectations will be put to the test once the movie officially debuts!

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Wait, Jerry Orbach voiced a character in the original? Damn I need to rewatch it again.

LOL All this talk of Beauty and the Beast made me dig out my decades old VHS and watch it again :)

Another thing that kinda concerns me is Gaston. I mean, here's an example of how a live action remake of an animated cartoon just isn't going to translate precisely. Gaston was such an exaggerated caricature that no human could possibly pull off an adequate portrayal (okay, maybe Schwarzenegger in an alternate universe where The Schwarz can act).

The guy they got playing Gaston is your standard handsome prettyboi no. 455623487. The trailer kinda gives me the impression they'll go with the "cool cruel jerkface" badguy motif for Gaston, whereas in the animated version what made his character is that he went from this loveable jerk to full on raging psychopath by movie's end. Also integral to Gaston's character is that he embodies every masculine trait there is only cranked up to eleven. Again, that's just not something most actual guys can pull off without excessively layering on CGI lol. (see, 300) Heck, even Ricardo Montalban needed prosthetic abs in Wrath of Kahn.

Last edited:

Mido

Version 1
Ladies and gents, today was the day! What do you all think about it?

I've personally heard a ton of good and mixed reviews about it, and after seeing it for myself, I can say it met my expectations in most ways, but was underwhelming in others. I never thought it would match the original animated classic, but for what it is, it's decent. Liked most of the movie, and some of the songs not in the animated version (if anyone can clarify for who has seen it, were some of the songs not in the former in its musical)? I suppose my largest peeve was the noticeable autotune at points for some of the singing. For a few specifics, I'll steal Castle's thunder with his post as a guideline.

Dunno about Watson either. I mean, I know she's popular with the kiddies and she suffices for the part but she's not exactly the first person I think of when I think "Belle". Dunno who that would be though. There's such a severe dirth of female talent in cinema these days, Watson's probably the best bet anyway. Belle always struck me as a bit more mature woman... Watson's still got that air of childishness going for her.

Personally, I think Watson did a good job playing the role of Belle, but the kicker here relates to my last point about the singing. You can really notice the autotune, and it is distracting, but I digress. She performed the role decently from my perspective.

One of my favorite things about BatB is the castle, and to see it showcased so prominently in this trailer is spot on. I assume there'll be a big focus on the set in the movie if this trailer is any indication so if anything warrants a live action remake, it's the castle. I can also assume the creature effects for Beast will be superlative given what Disney has been doing with mocap and CGI recently.

Not much to say here. The sets are awesome, especially the castle. It's eerie and dark, yet looks marvelous when needed. As for the Beast, I thought he was great.

McGregor and McKellen bring something a bit different to the roles that Orbach and Stiers did not. The latter duo is still the iconic pair, but I do like what the former duo brings. Without going into too much detail, I'm currently wondering how things would have worked if McGregor and McKellen switched roles? Something about the way they portrayed the duo seemed in some ways to be the inverse of the original duo. Just something I found interesting.

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
I felt like Gaston deserved death in this one, when I didn't in the cartoon.

Little late seeing it, but I finally got around to it last night. Not a huge fan of the original, and this kind of reminded me why.

I don't know, even as a child I thought the premise was beyond ridiculous and cheesy. I was always a Lion King/Aladdin kind of guy when I was little, never was a huge fan of Beauty and the Beast or Little Mermaid. Watching this live action version with adult eyes... it was somehow worse. Maybe I'm just super cynical and pessimistic these days because of where I am in life, but I couldn't buy the entire point of this story and its characters in the first place. My eyes were rolling at the end when everyone was happy in their now-perfect lives.

The songs were catchy and the acting was fine, but I guess I'm just too old/not the target audience for this movie in the first place. I don't see myself ever watching this or the original again.

Now that I think about it, yeah. 22-year-old-single-male is probably the furthest you could possibly get from the target demographic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom