• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Battle system or story in RPGs

Im a gamer who plays games for the story, i do still enjoy the act of playing too but im always playing for the story.

I could open this up to any genre like fighters or even racong but i want to keep it RPG since RPGs usually have grand stories to tell.

But which, in an RPG, is more important to you, story or battle system?

Do you pick up an rpg for the battle system or the story?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Gameplay makes the experience much better to be sure but the main reason I play games is for the story. The only reason I endured FF13's horrible gameplay is to experience the tale.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Im a gamer who plays games for the story, i do still enjoy the act of playing too but im always playing for the story.

I could open this up to any genre like fighters or even racong but i want to keep it RPG since RPGs usually have grand stories to tell.

But which, in an RPG, is more important to you, story or battle system?

Do you pick up an rpg for the battle system or the story?
Both. Either can make or break the game.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
battle system, its always been my point of view that if you want a story go read a book or watch a movie. I can't stand playing RP"""G"""s that have **** combat (looking at Tales of series here, Star Ocean is superior). I don't play on easy mode, and I'm looking for combat intricacy, attribute combinations, and so on. Story is usually **** in RPGs anyway, with the trope-ist characters in every single one of them.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
When it comes to classic RPGs, it's the story. A lot of classic RPGs (Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc) have very samey gameplay, so why play multiple for any other reason? Add in stuff like Skyrim, which has a big focus on just getting to know the world and the lore. You can very easily get lost in a sidequest or town and never complete the game's main storyline, never even kill a dragon, but still have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom