• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Batman: Arkham City

Source: GameInformer

The Batman: Arkham City hub is now live! Check back all month long for content updates.

Almost exactly a year ago, Batman: Arkham Asylum launched to wide acclaim and millions in sales. Now, developer Rocksteady Studios returns to the the franchise that put the company's name on the map to blow away gamers all over again. Batman: Arkham City launches fall 2011 on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC. Check out issue 209 to find out how Arkham moves out of the asylum and into a walled off maximum security sector of Gotham City.

Also look forward to features including a behind-the-scenes look at multiplayer betas, several compelling reasons to return to World of Warcraft, a chat with the top ModNation Racers creator, a six-page rundown on Halo: Reach, an in-depth, hands-on with Sony's Move lineup, our review of Madden NFL 11, and much more.

Click on the images below to see hi-res versions of both editions of our latest issue and check out Arkham City's official website to receive updates on the game.

bat1-1280.jpg

bat2-1280.jpg
I was disappointed when there was no news at E3 about this game. It's about damn time some updates are finally coming along. Though, the Fall 2011 release has me a little upset.

Valexi

Hylian Thief
Oh yey! Now with added Catwoman!
I'm looking forward to this indeed...even though I still haven't gotten around to beating the first one.
I plan to play it once I finish up DMC4....

I've read a bit about the game. Until this magazine is released, they will have released little to almost no news about it. I've been dying to hear about it and was incredibly mad when nothing was announced at E3 at all. The trailer offers so many hints about the criminals that will be featured in the game, and the mechanics of Arkham Asylum are already perfect. If they keep the controls and the same combat engine, there shouldn't be any way for them to ruin anything. "You shouldn't try to fix what isn't broken" fits this situation perfectly. I've heard news about the devs changing Detective Mode because of players using it throughout the entire game and not enjoying the hard work and graphical beauty put into the game but I completely understand that.

As far as villains are concerned, the Joker and Harley Quinn will obviously be in the game, but Two-Face, Mr. Freeze and Talia al Ghul have also been officially announced. The trailer gives hints about Penguin and Roman Sionis being featured in the game as well. I'm really excited about the selection of villains they have made if this happens to be true.

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
I'm so excited!:clap:
I loved Arkham Asylum; it's in my top 5 games, and I'm really excited for another story. I don't care if its a prequel or sequel or if its in an alternate dimension or anything.;) I want new bad guys and old bad guys and a new motive/plot to destroy/control/whatever Gotham!:P
This is gonna. be. awesome.
I hope they can match the level of awesome from AA in this new game!

Fall 2011? You've got to be kidding me....

But yeah, really looking forward to this one. The first game was unlike anything I'd ever played before; just the unique combat system really made it worthwhile. But along with the dark tone and the pretty well executed story, it stands as a gem in my PS3 collection. High hopes for the sequel, but I hate that it's more than a whole year away.

E

edman1123

I loved Arkham Asylum and I can't wait for the sequel.

Plus, Catwoman should provide a good amount of smexiness to the game.

Source: GameInformer

secret600.jpg

Many gamers spent hours scouring every nook and cranny of Arkham Asylum last year. Whether it was Riddler trophies, interview tapes, or Chronicles of Arkham, the game wasn't short on hidden goodies. However, there was one area that most people never even knew existed...Warden Quincy Sharp's secret room. Inside this area, you can clearly see blueprints that lay out Arkham City. We ask developer Rocksteady how it remained hidden for so long and we provide a video guide on how to find it yourself.

Even if you've played Batman: Arkham Asylum through and through, got 100 percent clearance, and unlocked all of the achievements or trophies, you still probably haven't found Warden Sharp's secret room right off of his office. It's not located on any of the maps. You can't see the weak wall with Batman's detective vision. And you can only blow it up with several applications of explosive foam. We asked Rocksteady Studios lead narrative designer Paul Crocker how the team kept it hidden in the Internet age:

While building Batman: Arkham Asylum, we placed a number of ‘hooks’ into the game that tie into the ‘Arkham-Verse’. From the beginning we knew that Quincy was a bad guy, and planned what his next move would be. The room obviously ties into Arkham City, but to be fair, we hid it pretty well. We did assume that it would be found eventually and after following forum posts for 6 months or so, decided to announce it in the ‘Game of the Year’ podcast. The fans of the game have been amazing and again, reading the forums, we can see how much they value the efforts we have put into creating the background stories for the various characters and it was great to see all the posts and theories about the secret room once it was discovered. What I think people are really going to enjoy is not just how Arkham Asylum led to Arkham City, but also how the story in Arkham City sheds new light on the events you saw in Arkham Asylum.

Go ahead and give Arkham Asylum another spin in your console if you'd like to check it out for yourself.
This is very interesting and I will probably take a look at it while I'm replaying the game on Hard to grab my first Platinum trophy but not exactly the kind of new I'm looking for. Apparently there's supposed to be another Hub update by GameInformer some time today. I'm really looking forward to this damn game.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I'm a big Batman fan. It took me two days to pass Arkham Asylum and I also got 100% on it and then I went for a 2nd round on hard and I can't believe I missed that room. Well who knows, that game has lot's of replay value and I guess I can take it for another spin before I get Arkham City.

TheGreen

Plus, Catwoman should provide a good amount of smexiness to the game.

I thought there was plenty between Ivy and Harley XP

Oh wow. I'm not surprised that no one found it. Who just goes around blowing up walls when you're not playing LoZ? :D
Also, thanks for keeping us updated Seethe!

Source: IGN

The latest issue of Game Informer magazine has revealed some new details about Batman: Arkham City, the sequel to last year's hit title from UK-based developer Rocksteady. The game is currently set for release next fall for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC.

The story for Arkham City takes place one year after the events of Arkham Asylum. The warden from the first game, Quincy Sharp, is now mayor of Gotham City, and he purchased a large portion of the city's slums to build a new criminal facility. "Arkham City," as it is called, houses all the insane prisoners previously found on the asylum before Joker left it in ruins. Psychiatrist Hugo Strange is now heading the new facility, and the only rule the prisoners are given is not to escape, leaving them to fend for themselves inside the guarded walls within the city.

Die-hard fans of the first title will be relieved to know Rocksteady isn't going to mash together a quick sequel with a few new villains while recycling a number of art assets.

"We want to top everything that we did in the last game," director Sefton Hill told the magazine. "We didn't want to do an Arkham Asylum 1.5. We want to make the same jump we made from nothing to Arkham, We want to make that same jump again for Arkham City – the same level of ambition."

Two-Face is confirmed for Arkham City, and is battling Joker and other key villains as they recruit inmates to join their respective gangs. Catwoman, meanwhile, will play Batman's love interest, and will team up with him throughout the game. Is she friend or foe? It's unclear what Catwoman's motives really are.

Most of Batman's weapons and gadgets from the first game will return for the sequel, and he'll actually start the game with them all. Those weapons can receive further upgrades. New gadgets include a Bat Claw that can fetch items too far away and a broadcast analyzer to track transmissions.

The combat will also see several new additions, including simultaneous counters, gadget incorporation (such as spraying explosive gel on enemies), and projectile counters from inmates that throw things at you from afar.

Arkham City will have many side-quests involving key characters, harder, more advanced Riddler trophies that involve puzzle solving, and more varied enemy types. The Batman issue of Game Informer should be hitting newsstands soon. Check it out for more details.
Interesting to find out that two of the villains will actually be against each other. Also glad to hear about Cat Woman as well and a little about the role which she will play in the game. Side-quests are also a nice touch, IMO. Not that Arkham Asylum really needed them at all, but something to make the game longer and give you more to do is always a plus as long as it isn't repetative or irritating to complete. The combat improvements are also very awesome. Hopefully simultaneous counters means that when you're using a take down move on a enemy, another one will not be able to run up to you and wack you with a bat while you're unable to counter it. That was very annoying. Being able to counter projectiles is nice as well. Being hit by something thrown off screen and ruining your combo was never any fun. Gadget incorporation I could take or leave, but the other two improvements definitely tickle me. This is looking really good!

GameInformer scans

One of the most interesting things I read was about the Multiplayer. Rocksteady does not deny or mention any form of cooperative gameplay. GameInformer thinks that Catwoman may be the character, but there is also a Flying Graysons poster during the demo, suggesting that Robin will be in the game. Very very interested in what they plan on doing for Multiplayer if this happens to be the case.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
Thanks for the link to the magazine scans, Seethe! The game's looking awesome. Considering I bought a PS3 - my first non-Nintendo console ever - just to play Arkham Asylum (I'm that big of a Bat-fan) I've got high-hopes for the sequel!

I'd love to be able to control Catwoman for portions of the game, but for some reason I feel that won't be the case. I'd make a wager that she'd be a console exclusive for challenge maps though if they were to return, just as Joker was for the first game.

TheGreen

This thread only serves to make the wait more painful XP
What I really love about Rocksteady's game is how true it was to the original comics.
Before the game i had not heard of Arkham (lots of research ensued), but all the villains match the comic book characters. Catwoman's role has always been an enigma and I'm glad that the game will portray her in the same way :)

C

Chuck Taylor

Holy s**t! Catwoman :xd:

Hopefully she makes the game even better with her flirtatious behaviour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom