• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Batman and Bruce Wayne- Actor Portrayals

In a recent conversation with Cfrock and TheBlueReptile on which actor, Andrew Garfield or Toby Maguire, was best at playing the character of Spider-Man and which was best at playing Peter Parker (Garfield for Peter Parker, Toby Maguire for Spider-Man, imo) i've begun to wonder which portrayals of Bruce Wayne and Batman people prefer and while I'm watching the Dark Knight Rises, i see no better time to ask so...

Is Michael Keaton a better Bruce Wayne or better Batman?
Is Val Kilmer a better Bruce Wayne or better Batman?
Is George Clooney a better Bruce Wayne or better Batman?
Is Christian Bale a better Bruce Wayne or better Batman?

Note- this is not a thread on comparison of acting talent for the artists mentioned, it would be unfair to do so in a series of films with such differing tones and styles, the question is simply asking which actor you feel suited the character of Batman and/or Bruce Wayne in their respective films.

Enjoy.

Also answer the Spider-man one if you like.

Djinn

and Tonic
I remember hearing that Bob Kane liked Val Kilmer the most as Batman and Bruce, normally confusing nearly everyone with that statement.

But honestly I thought Keaton made a decent Batman. He was pretty good at being quiet and intimidating and somehow always looking fairly serious with the mask on. Nothing he did ever came off as joking or weird as later actors had done. However I thought he was a poor Bruce, he was still in deadpan serious mode and could not really come off as a millionaire playboy well at all. In fact you would think he might give himself away as Batman if he stuck around people long enough, he had the same demeanor.

Val Kilmer I just did not like as Batman at all, however I'm not sure if that was his acting ability or just the script he was reading. I know he can be a serious action type of actor, I have seen it in the past. But his Batman was nothing but one liners, joking comments, and strangely advertisements. His Bruce was not really much of a Bruse as it was his own version of Clarke Kent. Just glasses and a turtleneck and he was disguised. He still couldn't separate the character personalities.

Clooney was just terrible overall, as Batman, as Bruce, just anything he could ever be in a Batman movie. And that is not really confusion over the direction or script he was given. He is still likely the last person I would hire to be in a Batman movie in any capacity.

Bale I think is the only one who has successfully separated Bruce from Batman. He was genuinely different when playing either which I thought worked out even if we do have to put up with his Bat Voice, which did get a little grating after a while. He probably should have remained silent some more like Keaton. Still I think he makes a better Wayne than a Batman if I have to chose between the two. He would be the first actor I could say that for though. It seems the rest were picked for their abilities to be Batman first, and then given a turtleneck sweater to be Bruce.

izi

Not A Wizard
I'll be honest and say that I've only seen the Dark Knight Trilogy. I loved them all. I'm very picky about actors/characters, and I think that Christian Bale was a better Batman than Bruce Wayne. I saw Batman and Robin years and years ago, so I don't count that in what I've seen - I hardly remember anything. While Bale was a great Batman, his Wayne was weak. I feel like he had no original character, rather being "grown-up kid with mommy/daddy issues that has a unique way of blowing off steam".
As for Spider-Man, I liked Andrew Garfield more than Tobey Maguire. I've seen the previous trilogy and the Amazing Spider-Man, and I just think Garfield pulled it off better. No specific story/movie reasons, I just enjoyed him more as an actor.

Djinn said:
He is still likely the last person I would hire to be in a Batman movie in any capacity.
Lindsay Lohan.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Great question! I have never considered this before.

Before Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, Batman films have been, to greater extent, all about Batman. Nolan's films were really the first to feature both Bruce Wayne and Batman prominently, in equal capacity, and really dwell on the dual nature dynamic of the two personas. Nolan's films featured Bruce more as a damaged character with vulnerabilities who desperately needs Batman to survive. I admire Nolan's films for focusing on the reasons why Batman exists.

Burton and Schumacher's films, however, were more or less all about Batman kicking @$$ and doing his thing because it's fun to watch. Most of what was ever shown of Bruce Wayne involved his off hours romantic escapades with the irony that she doesn't know his dirty little secret. I found it odd that Michael Keaton's Bruce came off as rather shy and reserved, quite a far cry from his reputation as an exuberant playboy. Keaton's Bruce was modest, which was a... unique... portrayal at best. Keaton's Bruce also happens to be the one who seems to me to be featured in the greatest capacity. I did enjoy Keaton's surprises as Bruce Wayne, such as his sudden outburst at the Joker when he breaks in on them in Vale's apartment.

Keaton made for an extremely.... outlandish... Batman. I know, it's Burton, so I shouldn't have to wonder if he was supposed to look that ridiculous. The first Batman featured Bruce in greater capacity than Batman Returns, save for the romantic irony and awkward moments between him and Salina Kyle/Catwoman.

Say what you want about Clooney and Schumacher... Clooney simply seemed disinterested in the roll. As silent, stoic, brooding Batman, there isn't much acting involved. Just stand tall and talk all low and gravely and you've got the part nailed. Scenes featuring Bruce looked like Clooney was on the verge of falling asleep.

So, given Nolan's emphasis on character Drama in the DK films, Bale's Bruce featured much more prominently than any of the others. For the most part, I think Bale nailed the portrayal.

I do not actually remember much of Kilmer's performance, so I suppose I cannot speak for him.

Last edited:
Answering my own question because bored and I rarely do.

Keaton's Batman was a typical action hero, just a little less quippy than most. His Bruce Wayne i found to be more entertaining than the Batman scenes overall, his outburst at the apartment in Batman and Mistaking himself for someone else in Batman Returns were a lot of fun to watch. I think he was going for eccentric but i don't think he pulled it off, he just came across as not very self aware. His Batman felt closer to the comics than his Bruce but his Bruce could be funny, i just didn't believe he was a billionaire playboy.

Kilmer... oh Kilmer. I think i'm in the minority when I say that I enjoy Batman Forever, Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carey had awesome chemistry and Nicole Kidman looked very fine (inthetubeattheendallwrappedupbutmovingon), its just that Kilmer's presence as both Bruce and Batman really didn't fit for me.

George Clooney. George was a weird one, as Castle pointed out he seemed very disinterested in the role and almost as if he was suffering from terrible lack of sleep, which made for an awful performance and a very non-existent portrayal Bruce Wayne. However, for me, Clooney is as close as any of the films have gotten to what i think Batman would look like in a movie. In short, Clooney's chin is the only saving grace for him as Batman.

Christian Bale, Bale is a weird one too. I will say that he is perhaps the only Batman/Bruce so far to really make the characters feel separate but, i think it may only be skin deep. I'm not going to say that Bale hides behind the Bat-voice to show that these-characters-be-different, but his Batman is mostly devoid of all personality and emotion aside from anger. Bale's Batman is an angry Batman all the time, and when he speaks quietly (when he isn't screaming his Bat-head off) he just sounds like he has over done it and did in his throat and is in serious need of some cough syrup, and this seems to be Bale's only answer on how to make Batman feel different, it works but doesn't feel very deep or engaging and when there is an angry Bat-scene I'm very aware that it's Christian Bale playing a role and being weird rather than the character of Batman being intense. Bale's Wayne has a lot more going on though and i'm inclined to say Bale is a better Wayne than Batman because he is able to bring in some eccentricity that he has learnt from watching Keaton and deliver it in a not-so-over-the-top-way, his scenes with Michael Caine also shine through and Bale seems to regress into Wayne's childhood in a lot of the scenes that are on the subject of reminiscence even if Bale has no lines, so good show there Bale.

(That being said, i don't actually like Bale..) :P

Last edited:

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Christian Bale, Bale is a weird one too. I will say that he is perhaps the only Batman/Bruce so far to really make the characters feel separate but, i think it may only be skin deep. I'm not going to say that Bale hides behind the Bat-voice to show that these-characters-be-different, but his Batman is mostly devoid of all personality and emotion aside from anger. Bale's Batman is an angry Batman all the time, and when he speaks quietly (when he isn't screaming his Bat-head off) he just sounds like he has over done it and did in his throat and is in serious need of some cough syrup, and this seems to be Bale's only answer on how to make Batman feel different, it works but doesn't feel very deep or engaging and when there is an angry Bat-scene I'm very aware that it's Christian Bale playing a role and being weird rather than the character of Batman being intense. Bale's Wayne has a lot more going on though and i'm inclined to say Bale is a better Wayne than Batman because he is able to bring in some eccentricity that he has learnt from watching Keaton and deliver it in a not-so-over-the-top-way, his scenes with Michael Caine also shine through and Bale seems to regress into Wayne's childhood in a lot of the scenes that are on the subject of reminiscence even if Bale has no lines, so good show there Bale.

(That being said, i don't actually like Bale..) :P

LOL I often wonder if there could have been a better alternative to Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman. He did well enough as a dramatic character actor with the role of Bruce Wayne, and like I said, to play Batman all you have to do is be big and broody. Bale's Bat-voice was kind of ridiculous and forced. I don't find it to be so outlandish that it's jarring, but it just doesn't seem natural even for an outlandish character like Batman. Bale must have benefited greatly from outstanding direction. I don't wish to downplay his acting talent, but in other films his talent pales in comparison to the likes of acting talent everywhere else in Nolan's Batman films.

Batman, however, is supposed to be emotionless. His primary weapon is fear. You don't let your enemies witness your emotions or they will no longer fear you. Anger and rage are the only effective emotions to display. The character drama fed off the idea that characteristically flawed Bruce Wayne hides his emotions behind the persona of the Batman. I find it old school, cliche, and trite to portray Batman as the Adam West sort of silly, quip spouting goof-ball that is by now archaic and contrary to what the character of Batman has become. And to see Batman get all Shakespearean while intimidating thugs just doesn't work.

The difference between Bale's Bruce and Batman is only "skin deep" as you said. Or, to put it more accurately, the difference is the thickness of the Kevlar the Batsuit is made out of. That is the only thing separating Batman from Bruce Wayne.

Bale's Bruce did nail the eccentricity of the billionaire playboy part better than any other actor.

GirlWithAFairy

Man... the ****???
I deff have a lot of love for Bale as Batman. Ive got 9million reasons floating round in my head as to why, and I have a hard time putting my Fangirl thoughts into words.... as far as Spider Man, I favor Toby because I have a huge Toby bais ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom