• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Band-Aids: A History, and Why We Need Them

David

But you called me here...
So. Band-Aids. We all love them. We all need them. Today, I shall be posting my analysis on the history of Band-Aids, what they are, how they’re used, and why we need them.

History:

According to our friend, Wikipedia, a man named Earle Dickson invented Band-Aids in 1920. He was a mere employee of Johnson & Johnson who wanted to help his wife who frequently cut and burned herself while she was cooking. The first prototype allowed her to dress her wounds all by herself, a considerable achievement for that time.

Dickson passed the idea to his employer who marketed and produced his product. They were first called “adhesive bandages,” but got the name that we all know and love, “Band-Aids.” Dickson eventually became a Vice President of the company.

However, the first bandages that were produced were hand-made and were not very popular at all. But, once Johnson & Johnson created a machine that could create sterilized Band-Aids at mass rates, they became super popular.

Band-Aids were mass-produced and shipped overseas in World War II to mostly medics. They were also shipped to hospitals for people that really needed them in urgent care.

Finally, in 1951, Band-Aids were given cool decorations. Characters included in today’s time are your favorite Super Heroes, Action Figures, Dolls, and Children’s TV Shows. Other forms of Band-Aids also exist in the market for us to buy and use, like liquid Band-Aids, Active Flex, large sizes, and water-proof Band-Aids.

Now, there are tons of knock-off brands out there. They are forced to use the term “adhesive bandages” because Band-Aid is a trademark of Johnson & Johnson. The term Band-Aid has become so popular, that people call the adhesive bandages, regardless of the brand, Band-Aids. Band-Aids are still very popular, and are awesome in our everyday lives.

Why we need them:

When you cut your finger, scrape your knee, or tear off a chunk of skin, what are you going to do? Run as fast as you can to get a Band-Aid to cover up and protect your wound. Like your mother taught you, if you don’t put on a Band-Aid, you’ll be prone to infection and forced to feel the pain of having an open wound.

Now, why do we feel that we need them so badly? I’m willing to say that we need them because we’ve been trained to use them, we like the instant gratification in knowing that our wound will heal because we have a Band-Aid on it, and that we have used them so often.

From a young age, children often fall and get a scrape, or accidentally cut themselves. What does the mother of the child do? She runs to the First-Aid kit to get a Band-Aid or two. She places that bandage on the child and can rest assured that the child will be fine in a few days. So, even from a young age, we are trained to use them and to know when we need them.

Many of us get a small cut and instantly run to the First-Aid kit to grab a bandage. Why? We can feel the adhesive and pressure that the bandage has, and it gives us a feeling of gratification. We know that the bandage will help our fingers heal and comfort us.

We also use them all the time. As I said earlier, we have been conditioned to use them, so we feel the need to use them all the time.

The Questions:

Why do you think that we use Band-Aids so often?

What’s your favorite pattern?

What’s your favorite version of Band-Aids?

Do you use Band-Aids unusually often?

Do you not use Band-Aids?

What else could we talk about with Band-Aids?

I’d really like to hear your thoughts and opinions on Band-Aids.

purplelink

Who started saying Big Mood
they are very convenient, i like the regular pattern, regular, i use them for everything :( .
i found this very productive

AllieHaxorNova

Nine Tailed Hannya.
I find them really helpful. In fact I have three Band-Aids on now. And another thought that I had is we could use them to make little modles of stuff we like. We could make Link, Zelda, L, Light and so much more. But I just think that would be really cool to see, or have :).

Oh, boy~ Band-aids are, like, so fun! :3 ♪
(_̄̄_̄[:::]_̄̄_̄)
Okay, so... when I was little, just as I loved playing with tape, I absolutely loved playing with band-aids! I mean, they're adhesive little cushion thingies. My sister and I used to just take red markers and the like to color little "owwies," as we used to call them, onto our arms, legs or fingers just so we could have an excuse to wear a band-aid. xD Our parents never fell for it... [sarcasm]I wonder why...[/sarcasm] Well, that was way back when I thought washable markers would come off of paper, and I would end up with a pulpy mess in the sink, so... I was kind of silly.

Now, my biggest reason for using band-aids is probably me picking at my arms. Yeah, I'm weird... I usually have to wear long sleeves, because if I'm bored, I'll subconsciously start picking at random spots on my arms, so if they start bleeding bad enough, I'll have to go hunt down a band-aid. :// As for my favorite brand, I don't really have a preference. I used to like Nexcare, but the waterproof ones really hurt when I take them off, and usually leaves the adhesive part on my skin, so... eh. I like the foamy ones the best. So... squishy.

Whenever I get labs drawn, I like the tape that they wrap around my arm and the cotton ball--it looks like old people skin. :p Well, sort of. Then sometimes they use hospital tape, and then sometimes they use holographic standard band-aids that are pretty and shiny, but they're kind of uncomfortable.
(_̄̄[ ::: ]_̄)
So... yay! Band-aids. :3

...The only downside about them is that if you keep them on too long, your skin will get soggy because of lack of oxygen and stuffs. Then the wound won't really heal as fast as it should.

And... another ASCII band-aid:
( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )

Last edited:

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
In England we call them "plasters". But the only time I use them is when I take a chunk out my hand or knee when I go round and nick myself on stuff... Then I get bored with them and take them off VERY slowly because it hurts. ><" But yea, they are just basic day-to-day stuff for me...

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
^ Indeed, good old sticking plasters, wot wot. *cough*

Too bad plasters seem adverse to actually sticking to me... they start to peel off within 5 minutes of me sticking them on, grrr >:
I guess I move about too much... or just get cuts/scrapes in awkward places, like my elbows XDD

Though a couple of years ago now, our doctor apparently got into a conversation with my mum about how plasters are evil horrible things you should never ever ever allow near your children's skin, or some such, and since then our first-aid bag only contains Mefix and Melolin instead. (Basically, stick white cloth-like/bandage-like tape and some soft padding stuff... similar to the stuff in plasters, actually XDD). No complaints from me though, the mefix sticks to me a lot better than regular plasters, and the melolin doesn't draw the wound/make your skin go all wrinkly... I suppose the only downside is that mefix isn't waterproof... though it's lovely and soft and goes kinda fuzzy after a while :333 Oh, and because it's a LOT MORE STICKY than regular plasters, it also HURTS A LOT MORE when you're trying to peel it off. Owww...

...on a side note, my friend went to the Trafford center in Manchester once for some new clothing, and came back instead with a box full of Jesus-patterned plasters. Plasters, with Jesus on them. I'm serious, they were so random they were AMAZING.

Last edited:

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
^ WOW! The one problem I have with plasters, is that, if you stick them on slightly wrong and the edges flick up, then when you wash your *body part here*, the water seeps in underneath it and it comes off!!!

Jedizora

:right:
Why do you think that we use Band-Aids so often?
There are millions of people on the planet. Many of them are clumsy. That answers your question, at least in my opion.

What’s your favorite pattern?
Plain.
What’s your favorite version of Band-Aids?
Regular.
Do you use Band-Aids unusually often?
Yes. I am very clumsy...
Do you not use Band-Aids?
no
What else could we talk about with Band-Aids?

Nothing.
In other words, I wanted to express my need for band aids. I'm always tripping, getting burnt, getting injured, and yet I never fell the pain.o_O

Ghosi

Schmetterling
In Hungary, we call band aids "tapasz" ( my last name contains the words, hence the reason kids have told me to be friends with glue -_- ).

I usually do not use band aids until it is really a big open wound. For example, if I get a paper cut or a small scrape I will probably not use a band aid.

Band aids are simply amazing. To think that any time we get injured, we could just but a band aid on and continue with our lives. We don't have to worry about it getting infected, and band aids do not get in our way of doing simple every day tasks.

I love the big regular shaped band aids. Usually, these work the best because they completely cover the wound. The only thing I want to ask of band aid makers is to maybe use a little more glue. The band aids I put on my finger or foot always seem to find a way to slip off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom