• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ball & Chain

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
What were your thoughts of the Ball & Chain item found in Twilight Princess.

I remember when I first saw the mini-boss in the Snowpeak Ruins, it immediately brought back the nostalgia factor as I thought of the Ball and Chain Trooper from A Link to the Past. He was actually one of the more difficult mini-bosses for me the first time through and I actually died a few times. Nevertheless, I remember when I finally defeated him and saw the Ball & Chain there... I was pretty shocked but immediately thought it was awesome.

I liked using it, but like many of the items in Twilight Princess, it seemed underutilized. Granted, unlike the Dominion Rod or the Spinner, you COULD use it wherever you wanted and that was a plus. I thought it was a fun item to use and a great new addition to Link's inventory.

I also love how Link couldn't 'run' while having it out, but he just 'put' it away and it disappears into the rest of his inventory and then Link can run. That's classic Zelda right there, but I think it is most prevalent in this instance.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
I really loved this Item, when I first got it I was like: "Oh man, now we are reaaally talking".
And Link's expression while he was carrying it was priceless

Steve

5/19/13
I liked it, and it was especially useful for armored enemies, but yeah I have to agree that it was a shame it was only used in Snowpeak Ruins.

Dark_Kokiri

I be a Kokiri~
My first reaction to the Ball and Chain was, "....no way. I'VE GOTTA GO TRY THIS ON A GORON."

I liked it a lot, probably my favorite item in that game aside from the Spinner. Not only was it a great weapon, but it was highly entertaining to watch Link use it. My dad got a kick out of it, and he doesn't laugh at much. xD

Also...

I also love how Link couldn't 'run' while having it out, but he just 'put' it away and it disappears into the rest of his inventory and then Link can run. That's classic Zelda right there, but I think it is most prevalent in this instance.

I love that about Zelda games! Reminds me of this....

Treading_Water_by_Hail_NekoYasha.png

Classic stuff right there. xD

Kazumi

chagy
I too thought of the Ball and Chain Trooper when I first saw him. This mini-boss was actually pretty tough. This is where I used my Great Fairy's Tears that Jovani gives you. But when I did beat him, I was shocked that Link would get such an epic item as the Ball and Chain. I found it quite useful for some enemies. Such as.. Ice enemies... Oh wait, those are only in Snowpeak. *Facepalm* But still, it was fun to use at least.

But I really think that the Ball and Chain is a one time thing. I hope they don't include it in the next Zelda, as that would ruin the whole Ball and Chain experience. It just seems like a TP only item. One that falls into the category of the Spinner and Dominion Rod.

I thought the Ball & Chain was a great weapon, It was so useful against the ReDead's inside the Cave of Ordeals. It was also the only Item that you got a after The Lakebed Temple that was actually of any use anywhere outside its own dungeon. All the other items gained after that point require a certain element so that you could use it.

It was also for blocking arrows when you had it out, I remember swinging it around at an angle above my head so that it blocked any arrows.

I have always found it quiet funny how Link could be weighed down by any item the the heolds or wears......yet he puts in his Bag of Illogical tardis......Everything was way bigger than that bag yet it always fit in well and then its special Anti-Gravity properties took away the weight :xd:....

Last edited:

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
Obtaining it was a great battle in close squarters. I really enjoyed the fact that it was obtained from a fallen enemy as opposed to just picking it out of the item chest of the dungeon.

I really liked it's addition to Link's arsenal, but I wish it was a bit easier to use in combat. I often tried to use it in the Cave of Ordeals against all the Chillfos, but I was often hit before I could get it swinging around. It was great to use against small swarming enemies though if aimed towards the ground.

Regardless, the power behind it felt great, and the image of Link heaving it around with great difficulty was classic. It really did need more uses, as most TP items did, and I think quicker use in combat would have helped out a bit more.

I'd like to see it return in future installments if they could think of some other ways to use it effectively.

The Ball & Chain is my favorite weapon in Twilight Princess.
Once I got it, I tried to use it everywhere I could, I ended up using it more then I used the sword(even if it was not always a good idea).

I'd love to see the Ball & Chain return in a future Zelda game.

ShellShocker

adjective spaceman
The Ball & Chain was an awesome weapon. I loved just grabbing it and smashing up the biggest of enemies. A really cool weapon. The mini-boss that held it wasn't quite hard for me, since I just used the Clawshot to get behind him and then get in as much attacks as I possible could. I'd also try to time my attacks with him perfectly so he couldn't hurt me.

I really hope the Ball & Chain weapon returns in another game. It was pretty cool how Link could swing the Ball and Chain around his head for as long as he wanted, and he could throw it pretty far, but it looked as if he was struggling when he was normally carrying it around. And Dark Kokiri, that image is awesome. It is weird in games how you can wear/hold something heavy, but put it in your inventory, and it's immediately light-weight.

Nepolink

Corrupted Idiot
One of my favorite weapon! The mini-Boss was not difficult so long you use the Clawshot.
Like the Spiner it was a brand new weapon for the Zelda series. Always the Boomerang, Bow and Arrows or Hamer... The most basic Zelda items.

I hope it will come back too, it is so nice swinging around with it. We have to wait till 2010 for the new Zelda.

T

The DSM

I didnt really like the ball and chain, I didnt like the slow movment and it had no use except for the boss and ice blocks to me.

Dark_Kokiri

I be a Kokiri~
And Dark Kokiri, that image is awesome. It is weird in games how you can wear/hold something heavy, but put it in your inventory, and it's immediately light-weight.

Funniest part is that Zelda is basically known for this kind of thing, I love that about this game series. :clap:

I would love to see the Ball and Chain return, but... I wouldn't want to see it in just any Zelda game, I'd like to see it stay within the Twilight Princess series. That is, if it even has a squeal or ever gets one. Keep it in the realistic Zelda, Ball and Chain doesn't seem like a Wind Waker Link item to me~

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Personally i think that the mace (thats what i call the ball and chain) really is a quite EPIC item and if you notice tp doesn't have the hammer unlike many other zelda games and really it fills the hammers spot in links equip item screen as the most hard-hitting item in the game.

Think of this post what you will.:)

Vash03

Needz Moar.... Zelda, NAO
Like Mases, the first thing I thought of was A Link to the Past, in the castle right before you save Zelda. When I was a kid that guy was hard for me and I think I died a few times, and again when I played TP for the first time, I didn't use guides because it takes all the fun.. and I had no clue how to beat him.. and he killed me, once if not twice. But the ball and chain item, getting to use it... It was okay, I don't understand how he can swing it if he can barely walk with it... but who cares? It's a massive spiked ball with a chain, it destoys things.

P

PimPSlaP

The ball and chain was pretty sweet, but it just felt like a replacement of Link's ever classic hammer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom