• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
ap_resize.php

So, Baldur's Gate 3 just hit early access and I love it.

I've been a big fan of Larian Studios ever since I played Divinity: Original Sin, so it was exciting for me when they announced that they'd been tapped to produce the third game in a series that had laid dormant for twenty years. The first two Baldur's Gate games are often touted as some of the best games in the RPG genre, but they're also old, and some of the aesthetic and design choices just don't work when played from a modern viewpoint.

Baldur's Gate 3 is about as close as you can get to Dungeons and Dragons 5e running in a video game. There's was clearly a lot of attention paid to translating the rules, abilities, and classes as accurately as possible to video game form. Classes bring over almost all the same abilities they have in tabletop game, spells (with the notable exception of Firebolt, which went from a d10 to a d6 of fire damage) function exactly as they do in the tabletop game, and rogues are still capable of doing pretty much anything they want.

It's only in early access right now, but I really like what's on display. I've started up three different characters, finished the available content with one, and playing through it co-op in another.

How about you guys? Any other suckers out there paying $60 for early access?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
f321c065cf3f405b6d0ac06fd5a550d6a95b5a5e-scaled.jpg

It's a three year old necropost, but Baldur's Gate 3 officially left early access yesterday. If RPGs are even remotely your thing then I strongly recommend picking it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom