• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

AwdryFan plays and complains about Final Fantasy III and asks for audience participation

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
So I decided to go back and play Final Fantasy III (originally released in Japan as Final Fantasy VI), a game which I played a long time ago and absolutely hated with every fiber of my being. Is it as bad as I remember? No, but it's still nowhere near as good as Chrono Trigger.

First off, the plot is dull. I mean, the concept itself is pretty dope, but the execution is absolutely rancid. Why did they give us a long series of boring paragraphs? Everything stated there is repeated by Vicks and Wedge. Whatever happened to "show, don't tell"? I immediately feel like Kefka is being overused, even though he only appears for a few seconds. Not only is his appearance pointless, they don't even establish him as a threat! I thought he was some crazy madman who wanted to destroy everything? Why does he seem so... lame?

The graphics are horrid. Everything looks like a landfill. It's just a big smear of grey and brown. I especially hate that steampunk "aesthetic". It's not fancy, it's stupid. The enemies look slightly better than I recall, but they're still extremely disproportionate. We've got these little cartoon sprites on one side and giant pixelated paintings on the other. Really takes away from the game.

The gameplay is... decent. I keep on getting stuck on walls, which is bad. The movement is way more restricted compared to Chrono Trigger, which felt really fun to play. Battles are just button-mashing. I'm not forced to plan anything like in Chrono Trigger, which forces you to choose your moves carefully. I didn't bother being careful during the tactics bit with the Moogles. Three of them died, and I don't care.

By the way, I named Terra "bob" (no capitalization) and I named Locke "ProJrd" (that six-character limit is really annoying). I chose ProJared since his videos are what got me interested in Final Fantasy to begin with.

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
RIP Final Fantasy subforum, probably gonna get back to playing FFIII now that I remember it exists.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
*reads title*
yeah it was still the early days of FF, with 3 they're probably still experim-
*reads first sentence*
...how DARE YOU SIR

First off, the plot is dull. I mean, the concept itself is pretty dope, but the execution is absolutely rancid. Why did they give us a long series of boring paragraphs? Everything stated there is repeated by Vicks and Wedge. Whatever happened to "show, don't tell"? I immediately feel like Kefka is being overused, even though he only appears for a few seconds. Not only is his appearance pointless, they don't even establish him as a threat! I thought he was some crazy madman who wanted to destroy everything? Why does he seem so... lame?
kinda sounds like a case of over expectation b/c of internet talk, Kefka's role is just being Emperor Ghestal's right hand man, though you can see in plenty points in the game how unhinged he is, like poisoning the river at Castle Doma, its not until a little later that you see how he becomes the main antagonist of the game

he's not an intimidating, no nonsense kind of villain like say Sephiroth, all Kefka is is nonsense

also once you get access to magicite is when you can start messing around w/ character magic

FFVI was super ambitious for the time, having a more complex plot with cinematic moments, following different parties after a split, the world being basically destroyed and being able to explore it all over again in the second half etc on an early 90s RPG was pretty darn cool. While antiquated by today's standards the gameplay and mechanics were good for the time. Of course it won't compare as well to later games and there are other Final Fantasy titles I much prefer but it remains in the hearts of many for a good reason. I will say I think they did have too many playable characters to the detriment of fully developing most of them but the game was great for it's time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom