• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art Avisto's Thane- a Story I've Been Working on for a While

Storm

Ghost of The Roleplay Section
Hey. I wrote this story as a Final for my Third Creative Writing class. I didn't get any criticism, so I thought may be you guys could critique my work. tell me what you liked and didn't like. I'm thinking of writing a set of short stories and poems.

Raiden
May 2011
Author’s Note: Although Raiden rarely is inspired such as this, he writes in sort of a random and unrelenting manner. He enjoyed every subject of school, and loves the rest of his life. This story is the equivalent of three years of trying to write the right story that got me inspired. This is merely a start. I will work on it further and polish it up
The Story of Avisto’s Thane
In the Beginning was the Creator. This creator was a very maniacal being, and before the world spinned, he laid chaos upon the globe. The creator was also very bored, so he made ambassadors for this earth to do with what they wished, for he was in his words “tired of this week old world”. Little did the creator know, but the liaisons he made were pure of heart, and sealed the evil upon the world into a spire 1000 miles high. Millennia pass, and the first people were fruitful and multiplied. When the population of the planet was to a certain number, the five chose brides to make of this a divine right monarchy. Their five sons and their descendants ruled the realm of men in prosperity for 1200 years, Until King Prious of Moryk slew his brothers in cold blood. Outraged, the other four chose a champion-just in case one could not do the job. This story is about The Thane of Avisto.
In the year 2357 of the Time of The Tides, a young recruit was training on a wooden dummy. This boy was a lean-muscled man with olive skin and hair of the finest mauve to match his eyes. His clothing was a tad dirty, but what is expected out of a Recruit? The Recruits did not even have proper weaponry and armor. They are most known for scavenging armor from the dead of renegades, pirates, and the occasional Fumaso. The Fumaso are men who worship Chaos, and have learned to channel the fires of the mountain. Their armor is made of a fine material made of a mixture of gold leaf, black steel, and the blue fires they ever so wield. The result is a silk like cloth that can deflect almost anything. Most Fumaso weapons and shields are made of this material. The recruit owned some of this cloth, and made three square rags, a belted kilt, and a pair of the finest boots one could afford. The recruit takes a bow from his quiver, aims his bow at the wooden man he was faced against. The arrow flew with such precision that it went through the wicker post.
As the arrow flew clean through the wooden carpet, a portly fellow walked by. He happened to be the Lieutenant to the general. Amazed and with a slight laugh the Lieutenant uttered “Well young recruit, you are pretty adept at archery, but how are you at combat?” With an unsure tone the recruit answered “I think I could take care of myself in a swordfight. Why do you want to know?” without wasting time the Lieutenant explained “You see, boy. I had a Corporal die last night, and the general said to grant the most experienced soldier the title. After seeing your archery, I must see how well your melee is. Go to the Comongronds at dusk. I will be there to supervise the test”. The recruit nodded, and readied for his bout. About ten minutes from dusk, the recruit enters the Comongronds. He sees everyone watching, as if he had been lead to be slain by this Lieutenant. The Lieutenant walks onto the floor of the Comongronds and says to the whole audience
“Gentlemen, if you do not know who I am, I am Lieutenant Rhamnos Africus. I saw this boy training with a bow and arrow just two hours ago. Here he is now. At 9 stone, and measuring at 165 centimeters, we have Recruit Incertus Nothis. Now if this boy were to win tonight, he would claim a promotion to actually being paid for his time. But first he has to defeat this man, Gentlemen, I give thee Stone Mason!!”Stone was a tall man for a normal man. He was the kingdom champion before being set free to serve the kings. He had sponsors among the senate, so his armor was light and maneuverable in. Nothis’ sword was no match for the axe that Stone wielded. Rhamnos started the match and quickly ran to the stands, grabbing popcorn on the way back to his seat. Stone thought Nothis to be puny and weak, so he went easy on the little guy. That was a bit stupid on Stone’s side, for Nothis was quick, and before Stone could swing his axe down to the ground, Nothis was out of the way. He walked under Stone’s legs and untied the leather straps keeping his armor on. As Stone walked to catch up to Nothis, his armor fell off piece by piece. Ashamed and slightly angered, he cast down his axe and ran for Nothis. Nothis stabbed Stone in the stomach. Those that were there saw his spinal cord snap like dried timber. The general was pleased, and said to his soldiers “Nothis, It is my esteemed pleasure to give you the rank of Corporal, and at the right time too. Would you please come to my chambers so we may talk in private?” The newly appointed Corporal followed General Stratus Mor.

They approached the tent of Stratus. Stratus’ tent was typical for a General’s. It had armors of various styles and colors. His greatest piece to his collection was the armor of a Fumaso Grand Warrior that was worn by the founder of the Fumaso-the third Sorcerer to the Kings. In a somber voice Stratus told Nothis “Nothis, I have some sort of prediction that jeopardize our jobs. I have heard from the castle that King Prious has killed the other four kings. I believe that his majesty shall try to wipe out those who are disloyal to him and his mercenaries. I give you power over the Recruits you once were.” Nothis-being a humble young man- bowed and thanked his General.
On the way to his tent, Nothis was cheered and placed up high by his fellow soldiers. Nothis entered his tent, and saw a sword and new fabric with a note that said “You best get to sewing. We will not have a champion in dirty clothes. Signed, Avisto of the Gales” Nothis knew little about gifts from the gods, so he tended to sewing this new fabric. It was similar to the Fumaso fabric, except that the fire was a bit different. Instead of a cerulean flame, there was one of violet. Wanting to save fabric, Nothis did not sew new boots or bandanas. He did though make a pair of pants worthy for his stature. He then washed the blue-flamed kilt, and put it over the purple-flamed pants. By the time this was done, it was morning, for the verdant sun shined above. Apparently Nothis heard nothing, for the army was slain. The kills were clean, which showed that mercenaries were behind the mass murders. The worst of the deaths was Stratus, for he was strangled and stabbed.
Nothis looked for the Lieutenant, but could not find him. Nothis assumed about the events of the nights before. He thought it obvious that Rhamnos was with Prious, and planned all of this from the beginning. Stricken with guilt, Nothis packed his belongings in a pack he made from some leather, and headed towards the Shrine of Chaos, where those of Moryk of Flames dwell. It was blatantly obvious where the temple was, for 500 years ago the kings proclaimed for a temple of Light and Chaos to be built to balance the world. It is a bit sad that those of Chaos picked to build the temple at the base of the Citadel. And so, Nothis walked on toward the Mountain of Darkness.

The journey to the Mountain of Darkness is Perilous. One must travel though the Thieves’ Forest. These Thieves are not like the normal pickpocket. They are more like shadows that ambush you and take your valuables. They learned their skill from the Ones Below. Then after the forest, one must traverse a dried up Fjord. Around 700 years ago, the kings ordered that the fresh water river could not run into the salt water sea. They proclaimed that the river must be dammed at the base of the Ring Mountains. The fjord dried up almost instantly after, and is now the most arid desert known to the world. Finally, one must tread to Ambush Bowl, a place one mile in diameter on all sides. One way in. no way out. This place is where the seven Masters fought the Invaders from the ungoverned seas who sought to climb the cylindrical mountain above to slay the five above to begin the battle of the end, some fifty years ago. The floor of this bowl is strewn with the sea-farers that tried to mess with the Masters.
Nothis made it to the forest by nightfall. As he set up camp, he heard a sound like that of a wind flute. He also heard random mutterings like “when do we go in and” and “how are we going to douse the fire?” Nothis not being a fool just irately snapped to the voices “Well if you are going to do something, do it quickly so I can go to sleep and not worry!” as the last word left his lips, a woodsman landed across the fire from here. This man was well in shape and wore a cloak of green. He negotiated with Nothis “Well then, what did you have in mind?” Shyly Nothis told “I don’t know. I just want to stay the night in your woods. Could I possibly do that?” The Woodsman said “I see nothing wrong with it, but I wouldn’t be camping. You shall stay in our forest hideaway that we made of stone and wood. There are more fearful things in these woods than my men.” Nothis pried “And who exactly would that be” Humbly the Woodsman bowed and said “I am Arbor of the Wood, but you can call me the TreeKing.” Nothis and Arbor walked to the tree fortress.
Forgotten by time, this castle was the meeting place for the Elders, before the Kings saw them as a liability and ordered that the blind men be sent home to their daughters. Arbor said to his band of men “My Fellow TreeLords, this is Corporal Incertus Nothis formerly of the Army. Damn Prious for killing my father, King Traxus of Frassus. Now let me tell you the schedule for tonight’s festivities. There will be drinking until MidMoon. The archery contest will begin anon. This is the last time to sign up if you want to.” Nothis wanted to try his sport out, so he hurried to the sign-up sheet. As soon as he signed up the tournament began.
There were only three participants: Nothis, Arbor, and a fat fellow called Bosephus the Drunk. Bosephus was one of the best archers in the land. He was even said to be more accurate than Artemis herself. The three men pulled an arrow out of their respective quivers. Bosephus fletched his arrows with one of the nicest feathers ever seen. The feathers were a plethora of colors. Arbor had feathers from a black swan. Nothis had the strict Army-Issue fletching-duck feathers colored to match ranks-and a special tip. The referee said “Fire” and the three contestants fired their arrows, and they each had exact-center-bull’s-eyes.
They kept retrying and retrying, but each man got the same points. Bosephus gave up and went to where the mead was at, and Arbor forfeit, as the decorum was in his house. Nothis received a Woodsman’s cloak as a prize. Arbor announced “This man is now our brother. All Nothis has to do is call for us and we shall come.” Nothis went to his lodgings and went to bed.
In the morning Nothis said his farewells and went on through the forest. As soon as Nothis saw the Fjord Desert. He pondered if he should go around the fjord or through it. His mind was made up when he heard the Horns of Moryk. The Mercenaries were being led by the Traitor Lieutenant Rhamnos. Nothis’ assumptions were true. Nothis vowed that he would kill this trickster as soon as he had the opportunity. Nothis was forced to go through the desert for the walls closed the way back out. Back on the mountain, the Liaisons were lying about, when Avisto sensed his hero was in the desert. He went to the boy, who was beyond thirsty. Avisto said to poor Nothis “Hey kid. Are you doing okay? Would you want anything?” Nothis retorted to this immortal “Who are you?” Avisto said back “Man, Just chill. I am Avisto of the Gales, I gave you the fabric and the sword, remember? Now would you want to get out of this desert or not? You are kind of making me lose a bet here.” Nothis swore that the immortal was speaking the language he was, but did not understand what he meant by “chill”. “Sure” Nothis said. So Avisto transported Nothis out of the desert and placed him at the mouth of the Bowl. Avisto said “Good Luck” as he ascended to the summit.
Frassus, Chaos, and Nemnos saw Avisto interfere and confronted him about it. Avisto explained “Guys, He is going to rid us of Moryk, I have seen it happen” Frassus, Chaos, and Nemnos conversed amongst themselves, and they each revived the greatest warriors that worshipped them ages before. Frassus chose the Grand Woodsman Crassus, who once slew the ents of the south. Chaos chose the First Fumaso Traguji, who gathered the fires from below. Nemnos revived the Unnamed Pirate of Tortuga, who has been fabled to be able to talk to sea-turtles.
The undead heroes were placed in the bowl, just as Nothis came to the center. A voice came from the heavens that said “Heroes, ready for the battle to decide the savior of this world. There are weapons strewn on the floor of this place. Arm yourself, and then go at it.” With these words, Nothis looked for a game-changer weapon, for these undead had a pseudo-form of immortality. Nothis saw the weapon. It was a rope made of Fumaso fabric. He placed around his torso, and readied his two swords for the fight of his life. Traguji though Nothis was a Fumaso, so he thought not to fight him until last. Crassus saw the arrowheads of a woodsman, so he decided not to fight him until last. Tortuga, who was never really in his mind ever didn’t want to fight Nothis until last, because he seemed the least threatening. The battle began, and Nothis ran into battle, only to see that he was being ignored by the other three. He watched as Traguji burned Crassus as he was stabbed by Tortuga. Nothis got bored and shouted “Lord Woodsman, Master Fumaso, and Witless Pirate, why are you guys fighting? We could join forces.” But it was too late. On the ground were three skulls fighting on the ground, their bodies dust and rags.
From Up High Avisto thought up a plan, and blew a gust that covered Nothis in the dust, giving him immortality and the abilities of the fallen here at the Bowl. After this happens, guess who decides to show up? That rat bastard traitor Rhamnos laughed at Nothis. Rhamnos unsheathes his weapon- an axe forged from the suffering and avarice of those he slew not three days ago. The blood of General Stratus still pasted on the blade shows how cruel of a man Rhamnos really is. Following Rhamnos into the bowl was King Prious with his esteemed Mercenary honor guard.
Pompously King Prious says in his gypsy tongue“ucide-l repede. M-am saturat de obraznicie sale şi sfidare.” Prious never learned how to speak the language commonly spoke in his kingdom. His mother, a gypsy prisoner of his father, Priam, raised her son to love her and his father, but taught her son her language. Rhamnos nodded at his king, and sharpened his axe with the skull of the Unknown Pirate. The pirate shouted ”Gor Blimey” and fell to the ground.
Nothis looked for the sword Avisto gave him. Nothis had never seen the blade before. So he unsheathed it. He was suprised to see the blade shapeshift to his style. The blade was straight until the top where it curves into a hook. Rhamnos just stood there as Nothis charged at him a full charge. Rhamnos deflected Nothis. Rhamnos was far different than when they had met before. He grew in size and his armor shattered off his back. It seemed as if Rhamnos made a bad deal with Moryk for power. Rhamnos sprouted a second set of arms. Two shields and two swords materialized in his hands. His beautiful raven hair flowed wildly. That thing was no longer the Rhamnos that saw potential in the boy, that thing was the Vessel of Moryk. The vessel laughed and said ”Mortal, thou thinkest thast thou could defeat such a god as i am?” Nothis just said ”Maybe” and summoned the purple flame of the Fumaso. He maneuvered a ring of fire and carved a sealing symbol with the flame. He placed his sword in the center. His blade shone red as it flew and stabbed The Vessel.
The lightning cracked the very ground as it struck the sword. The hell warrior was sucked in the sword, along with Prious and his army.
3 weeks later at the Forest Fortress there was a celebration. Nothis crowned the next king, The good-willed Arbor of Frassus. This king proclaimed that the sword will be locked in the Tomb of Kings for all time. Sir Nothis was named general of all armies, and lead his Woodsman army to victory against the Sea-Farers and Mountain-Barons. Moryk, being sealed in the sword was ticked off, and after 30000 years of being trapped, he found a way out. That sword lies in a museum in a box.

LordFire

King of Fire
Well you asked me to look at your writing and give you my input...
i loved it LordFire. maybe you could give me some criticism on my story. it's down there
So I am here and I shall. Let's see what problems I have with your story and how you can improve...

I see grammar errors and dialogue errors. Whenever a new person speaks in dialogue, you need to start a new paragraph. For example:

A chill wind blew through the open window.

"Close it, before I behead you!" Barked the king, "Servants! Why do I have you if you don't do your jobs correctly!"

"S-Sorry sir... We are fools, you are correct..." The servants responded, scared for their lives as they rushed to close the window.

Like that. Also, double spacing between paragraphs just makes it look better. Your story seems to be well-developed in your head, but not on the paper. It's a bit disorganized and for readers of low skill can prove challenging to piece together what's happening. The descriptions you gave could also be a bit more detailed, but don't have to.

I believe this could use some work because I liked the story a lot, but you need to develop it a bit more on the page. The same can be said for a lot of stories I see. However, the story in and of itself is amazing and I love it. Keep up the good writing, although it appears to have taken you a long time to make this a reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom