• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Avatar the Last Airbender Question

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Sup ZD, Random Person here.

I love AtLA series. Its what got me interested in literature. But upon rewatching the series for the one million and eighteenth time, I discovered a question. Water Benders get their power from the moon, and when its gone they no longer have bending. Fire benders get their power from the sun and when their is a solar eclipse they too lose their bending (or their bending is at its weakest as another forum member put it). My question is, if this is true, how come firebenders can bend during the night and water benders can bend during times when the moon is not up?

I've come up with theories that I can't necessarily prove false, but nothing concrete. They're all "maybe this could be the answer" type of answers.

Thought?

Well, the Sun is still shining brightly somewhere else in the world, so they're able to bend, just not as powerful as during the day. During an eclipse, the sun is actually blocked rendering their bending useless.

The same proves true with Waterbenders and the moon.

skybird11

state alchemist
well the sun and moon always have a gravitational force on the earth. and i guess from a fiction point of view there's something about cosmic energy... idk

just ignore it and enjoy the show! i love avatar too! :D

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
just ignore it and enjoy the show! i love avatar too! :D

Some shows do want you to just ignore stuff, but ALtA tries so hard with its continuity that it wants the viewer to notice these things. That's one thing I truly love about the series, the creators tried so hard to keep continuity.

@PK
That makes sense

Well, the Sun is still shining brightly somewhere else in the world, so they're able to bend, just not as powerful as during the day. During an eclipse, the sun is actually blocked rendering their bending useless.

The same proves true with Waterbenders and the moon.

There is one problem with this theory. There is no evidence in the series to suggest that a fire bender's bending is weaker at night as opposed to during the day. Their bending never suffers no matter where the sun is positioned in the sky, except for a solar eclipse of course.

My theory? I have none. I thought the same exact thing as you Random Person, but I just let it go.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
There is one problem with this theory. There is no evidence in the series to suggest that a fire bender's bending is weaker at night as opposed to during the day. Their bending never suffers no matter where the sun is positioned in the sky, except for a solar eclipse of course.

Actually there is. I forget who, but someone says. "The sun is the greatest source of fire. Feel its rays and obsorbe its power." I believe it was Jong Jong.
Also, on the episode at the north pole, Zuko says "You rise with the moon, I rise with the sun." This happen right after he layed a smackdown to Katara, suggesting that his firebending is stronger during the day.

AnimeHat

Humming Swordsman
I believe that it states that their bending is strengthened during those times, not only allowed. It just increases the power of their bending.

K

killerklown90

water gets there power from the moon
fire from the sun
earth the planet
and air the spirit world
the firebenders lose their power during the eclips because the moon is directly cancling out the power of the sun
waterbenders are mor powerful not only at night but also at the north pole because they are surrounded buy water(ice)
however the snow would also reflect the suns rays giving zuko a temporary power boost in the day

Violet Link

takumi was a mistake and so are the S supports
Hnngg..You're right.
I guess...The firebenders can't bend at the solar eclipse cuz of the moon blocking it.....I agree with killerklown90.
Because of you RP,my brain hurts now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom