• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Auto-aiming in Addition to Z/L-targeting?

Salem

SICK
Metroid Other M. There was particular aspect of it I thought was good. It'a the auto-aiming. If you shoot, Samus will lock-on on the nearest target and won't miss, unless the enemy is behind the heroine, you don't need to worry about aiming.

Does this need to be implemented in Zelda in some way with it's projectiles? Normally, If you have the the boomerang or bow in hand and want to shoot/throw it at an enemy, you go in first-person-veiw OR use Z/L-targeting to be able to get a better shot at the enemy.

What I'm suggesting in instead of going through all that, make it so Link would automatically target the nearest enemy with the bow or boomerang just like Samus in Other M. Of course, this won't eliminate first person shooting or shooting with L-taregeting, they will always be there.

The reason I'm saying this is this; with the L-targeting, I think you have to get too close too your enemy to get any use with your bow, but if you're that close, wouldn't be better to use your sword anyway? I never used the bow too much to attack enemies in the 3D games unless they're airborne or the archer bokoblins and bulblins in SS and TP. So I think this method will make be want to use the bow more often.

Of course, with the new Wii U Zelda on the way, regardless if they implement Wii motion plus, or use the gamepad or Pro controller, they will be more buttons to work with than Other M, so this won't be the only method to aim.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I think it worked for Other M because of its side-scrolling nature in a 3D environment. Rather than being about precise aiming, the combat was about using swift movement and twitch reflexes to take on numerous foes at a time who were often much faster than Samus, which either opened the doors for the Sensemove, or the other way around (doesn't really matter).

In Zelda, however, combat is typically more about the individual encounters, at least in the 3D console games. Skyward Sword certainly kicked the enemy numbers up a notch, but there were never any legit hordes of them until literally the end of the game -- which, even then, the most basic of the Bokoblins' AI was lowered to that of their GameCube brethren so that they could be mowed down en masse (which was way too ****ing cool).

Even in the top-down Zelda games where combat is based more around fighting larger amounts of weak-ish enemies (until mid-to-late game where they become noticeably stronger), the camera is directly over us, so there's no reason we'd be able to miss other than a lack of skill. That's a problem I have with MGS1, actually. It uses an auto-aim with a very close overhead view, making many combat situations tedious due to enemies sometimes being off-screen.

So, no, I think it's a bad idea. Other M had a unique style that allowed an auto-aim to work, but it would probably spell bad news for the Zelda franchise as it is.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Nah, the combat is easy enough as is, and I love the unique feel of Z-targeting in Zelda. It could also interfere with puzzle-solving in rooms with enemies. I mean many rooms have puzzles that require you to hit something with a hammer or shoot something with a bow alongside enemies. Have Link automatically target the foes would restrict the player gameplay style and fun too much. It might also force them to waste critical arrows on enemies (recall Samus had unlimited ammo).

Also recall that Samus really only fired horizontally or in first-person in that game. Samus rarely had any puzzles that required precise accuracy of her missels. Samus really needed her missels and what not to have lock-on due to the fast combat of Metroid, but having a lock on for Zelda would remove all skill from target shooting and arrow puzzles.

In short, the auto-lock on is ill-suited for Zelda, and should not be brought over.

Also, I sometimes like to fight enemies without any lock-on, it adds some challenge to combat.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I think it would make combat easier. In what situation would you need to auto-aim anyways? If you are trying to kill enemies from a distance, why not just use the first person view to aim at the enemy. If you are close enough to target the enemy then auto-aiming would be pointless. I would rather attack enemies with the sword anyways. I don't really see the bow and the slingshot as weapons. I just see them as items used to solve puzzles. Auto-aiming would also mess with eye switches and puzzles which require you to shoot something, because if there is an enemy in the room then the shot might end up auto-aiming to the enemy. I know you could just kill all the enemies in the room, but if you're speed running, trying to go through the dungeon as fast as possible, or you figured out the puzzle before killing all the enemies it would be a big wast of time.

It seems really pointless to me. I don't see any reason for it to be honest. It doesn't really seem like it would fit the style of Zelda, and it would make the game far too easy and annoying at times. There is nothing wrong with the current targeting system anyway, so I don't see the reason to fix it, or make changes to it..

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
No. I don't think that is something I'd like to see in Zelda. I personally LOVE the bow and arrow as it is, scoping out enemies and shooting them from faraway is a fun thing to me. It would make the ranged weapons either WAAAAY OP and or make them sort of stupid cause knowing Nintendo they'd try and combat it by making it difficult to kill enemies with the bow and arrow by either underpowering the ranged weapons damage, or make a large number of the enemies be unkillable with range type weapons. Thus, taking the fun out of it and overall just destroying the experience for me.

Salem

SICK
I think it worked for Other M because of its side-scrolling nature in a 3D environment.
What? I keep on reading about it, that I never understood about other M, it's not 2D.

In Zelda, however, combat is typically more about the individual encounters, at least in the 3D console games.
Maybe that's a problem they need to address?

It could also interfere with puzzle-solving in rooms with enemies. I mean many rooms have puzzles that require you to hit something with a hammer or shoot something with a bow alongside enemies. Have Link automatically target the foes would restrict the player gameplay style and fun too much. It might also force them to waste critical arrows on enemies (recall Samus had unlimited ammo).
No, most puzzle solving requires first person aim, therefore, the auto-aim mode will be avoided in that case.

I don't really see the bow and the slingshot as weapons. I just see them as items used to solve puzzles. Auto-aiming would also mess with eye switches and puzzles which require you to shoot something, because if there is an enemy in the room then the shot might end up auto-aiming to the enemy.
Maybe that's another problem? too much focus on the sword? Also, see above response regarding the puzzles.

Reading all your responses, I thought about it more, maybe it shouldn't be done the same way as other M, you see, in Other M, Samus never misses unless the enemy is behind her, what I propose now is Link only needs to look in the general direction the enemy is in rather than stand in a corder and just press the bow button. This way it won't be as overpowered as in Other M.

Also, sorry I don't have ALL of your responses in quotes in this post, I thought it's better to have a general response, I have read all of your posts.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom