• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Australia

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I live in Sydney, Australia. I find it a great place to live and I love that here we can have so many different people from all over the world living here in peace.

Anyway I've always wondered what people from outside of Australia think of Australia and Australians, that's why I created this topic. I'd like people to post where they come from, if they have ever actually been to Australia and what they think of Australia.
Things like do you see Australia as a major/important country (like USA, UK and China. Not saying that some countries are not important just that they are not as advanced and/or powerfull), what do you think we do, any stereotypes you have/think about Australia (I can answer how true they are) and anything else you'd like to add.
Thanks.

Pinhead101

Pokemon Master
Well I can't give an outside view on Australia but I can say that us Queenslanders consider ourselves superior to people from NSW because we always win the State of Origin xD
Don't take it too personally :D

On topic: I am also interested to see some outside views on Australia as a country. I know that a lot of Australian traditions like ANZAC day aren't known of in other countries.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
F
Well I can't give an outside view on Australia but I can say that us Queenslanders consider ourselves superior to people from NSW because we always win the State of Origin xD
Don't take it too personally :D

On topic: I am also interested to see some outside views on Australia as a country. I know that a lot of Australian traditions like ANZAC day aren't known of in other countries.

Oh hell no, it was the reff I tell ya :P
I don't really watch NRL or sports in general so I'll say I'm sure us from NSW can make it up in other ways :)

Pinhead101

Pokemon Master
F

I don't really watch NRL or sports in general so I'll say I'm sure us from NSW can make it up in other ways :)

Haha yeah I don't actually follow the sport myself... I just like to rub it in because many people do :3

Another thing for this thread...
Why do people always emphasise Australian accents? Do we actually sound like that to other people? o_O

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I live in Melbourne, Australia. It's the best city for one reason, The MCG. You two should be very jealous.

Anyway, I never understood the stereotypical Australian accent. Why is it so? I have never, repeat, never meet anybody with that horrid accent.
Also, I own a boomerang and throw it regularly. Anybody who has never does this, should. It is very, very fun.

Dan

I always thought of Australians as friendly cheerful people. I hope that's true and not a stereotype ^^
I don't believe however is a important country in a sense of the super power country's such as the US and China.

About the stereotype accents , you will find a lot of tv shows and games over exaggerating accents not just Australians, think groundskeeper willie from the simpsons.

The Australian stereotype is often
Boomerangs
Love drinking fosters
Knife
Accent
Quotes such as "put another one on the barbie , mate, the dingo ate my baby"

Big Octo

=^)
, think groundskeeper willie from the simpsons.

Wasn't he Scottish?

Australia is a country that intrigues me. I acknowledge that there are a lot of stereotypes in the media that would try to make my mind for me, but I always like to find the truth. Perhaps I'll visit some day.

Ariel

Think for yourself.
The best way to describe Australia to an American who knows nothing about it, is to say that it's like Canada, except slightly smaller in every way.

Slightly smaller in size, slightly smaller in population, slightly smaller in world-influence, slightly smaller in economy, etc.

The best way to describe Australia to a European is that it's like the U.K, except hotter.

The best way to describe Australia to everyone else is that it's like the U.S, a chunk of land across an ocean found by Europeans, inhabited by indigenous people, now a modern country built on the foundation of migrants looking to make a better life.

The good things we have going for us are:

An economy that didn't fall into recession when everyone's still in one.
Top tier quality of life, standard of living, and most livable cities.
A very urbanised population. 2/3 of the population lives in about 5 cities.
We are the closest thing to east-Asia. The 21st century is an east-Asian century; so that's good.

So if you want to know what it's like being Australian, it's just like being American or European, except slightly more isolated, slightly less connected, slightly less cultured, but slightly safer, peaceful, and stable.

For any historians out there, Australia is what America was before you got too big and started having your hand in everything.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
I'm an American from the state of Kentucky. I have always been fascinated with Australia. I've always wanted to visit it and explore the Outback and costal cities as well. I love animals and Australia is known for it's amazing aray of wildlife and diverse environments. It's a stereotype here in the U.S. that Australian people are very friendly, exotic, and down to earth.

Politically, I'd say the majority of the American general public views Australia as a peaceful country and an important ally. We don't really think of Australia as a major world power, but we view it as a great country and respect it. I'd say a lot of Americans think of Australia as a kind of paradise.

I live in the eastern part of the United States, and oh yes, there are several stereoptypes that exist about you Aussies.

Your people are called the Aborigines. You live in caves and hunt dear by chasing after them. You create your bow&arrows by hand, and everyone who is apart of your culture is excellent at using them. You have cave-paint drawings, that's how you spread your culture. You cook all your food over a bonfire and you warship the sun and moon God. Oh, and each of you acquire your own pet kangaroo when you come of age.

^lol. Americans are so dumb.

Anywho, I see Australia as a magnificent, peaceful place that I would one day love to visit. Actually, it is on the top of my list of places I want to visit. It is one of the most popular tourist attractions around my area, where everyone boasts about its crisp, clear blue water and awe-inspiring coral reefs. I picture the aquatic and land wildlife rich, diverse, and friendly.

I could go on about how I picture Australia. As I have stated before, I want to visit the island/country/continent so badly. I hope I will be able to go there one day soon!

Last edited:

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
I want to know what Australians think of Americans?

Ditto. I've seen all the Aussie stereotypes but never heard what you guys think of us.

I think Australians are probably nice and friendly. I really want to visit some time. I bet Sydney is great!

Also can anyone say "good eye mate" and not sound like the stereotypical Australian used in Outback commercials?

Dan

Wasn't he Scottish?

Australia is a country that intrigues me. I acknowledge that there are a lot of stereotypes in the media that would try to make my mind for me, but I always like to find the truth. Perhaps I'll visit some day.

I meant that Austrlians AREN'T the only ones media exaggerates with accents. I used grounds keeper willie as an example for another country.

F

That video reff was STOOPID, I was all like WTF (i hope that we're talking about the most recent game, cuz otherwise i feel stupid :( )

P.S I'm from Sydney, NSW as well! :yes:

Ariel

Think for yourself.
I want to know what Australians think of Americans?

On the unflattering end of the spectrum, Aussies (pronounced "ozzies" not "aussssssies") view American as loud and obnoxious in the same way that we are viewed by others as drunk and racist.

On the positive side, American are seen as the warmest of people, who genuinely show affection and enthusiasm when they feel it, untainted by the irony and cynicism or being the irrelevant nation at the kiddie table.

So if you picture the pros and cons of a child (fun, sincere, honest, but also a bit thick, egocentric, and wanting to get involved at all times) that is the STEREOTYPE of the average American. Keep in mind, the average American is the mid-westerner, suburban, white person, not the city dwelling, culturally mixed individual living in the larger metropolitan coastal cities.

Once again, stereotype. We do not like to generalise as you do not like to generalise.

I think Australians are probably nice and friendly. I really want to visit some time. I bet Sydney is great!

Also can anyone say "good eye mate" and not sound like the stereotypical Australian used in Outback commercials?

Firstly, Sydney is lovely. It's one of the best cities in the world, because it's both cosmopolitan in it's city district, but also nice and suburban surrounding it, with country, beaches, national parks, rivers, and nature along its periphery. The weather is nice (if a bit rainy), but the nice days are spectacular, LA'ish in its sunshine and blue skies in the Summer.

Also, we do not say "good eye mate". We say "G'day, mate" which is a contraction of "good day, mate". Our sometimes rednecked laconic drawl (similar to how you guys say "y'all") may make it sound like "good eye", but it's actually "g'day".

And yes, we do say it, and it's a friendly greeting to strangers and we're not ashamed at all about it, nor should we be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom