• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda At This Rate, Do We Really Need Dungeon Bosses?

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Man, most of y'all are crazy. Bosses are an awesome way to end a dungeon crawl, why take them out? I will admit that it might be interesting to see more instances where we have to run away from a then-invincible boss (like Scaldera in SS or Slender Man if I had it my way...), but taking down the big baddie at the end's just part of the Zelda experience for me. Even if he ends up scurrying off afterwards to fight another day, like with Ghirahim and the Imprisoned.

Besides, how would you even end a dungeon without bosses? It certainly would feel very anti-climatic and, well, just WRONG.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Ew ew ew, no. Monsters are WAY too awesome to be replaced entirely by humanoid designs. The latter should be kept to a bare minimum in Zelda boss fights.

Monsters - the stereotypical monolithic type seen in Zelda at least - are not apt for boss fights. They are always sluggish and deal butt-worth damage (meaning next to none). I cannot promote their being in the series anymore. If we get stuff more on a human scale - including the agility and damage dealing capabilities - then I will be satisfied. Why else was Dark Link in Ocarina and Adventure of Link such a good fight? Beyond the philosophical implications of fighting oneself, I think we were all satisfied with fighting someone who literally was on our level.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Man, most of y'all are crazy. Bosses are an awesome way to end a dungeon crawl, why take them out? I will admit that it might be interesting to see more instances where we have to run away from a then-invincible boss (like Scaldera in SS or Slender Man if I had it my way...), but taking down the big baddie at the end's just part of the Zelda experience for me. Even if he ends up scurrying off afterwards to fight another day, like with Ghirahim and the Imprisoned.

Besides, how would you even end a dungeon without bosses? It certainly would feel very anti-climatic and, well, just WRONG.
I was kind of hoping this thread would go into actually discussing alternatives, so I'm glad you raised that point.

Obviously without the climatic end that some bosses bring, the experience may be somewhat damaged. However, I think MW7 raised a great point in actually having one giant puzzle to finish that specific dungeon, which could definitely work if executed right. I was actually thinking of an event of sorts - like the dungeon collapsing and we, as Link, trying to escape the ruins before we our inevitably crushed.

I do think the whole dungeon experience may lose its charm and tradition without a boss to top it off; however, I think there could be some unique ideas that could be used as a replacement, such as large scale puzzles or a catastrophic event of sorts.

Zurriel

BeStrongandofgoodCourage!
I believe that the Zelda series needs to stick with the boss battles. But they need to be improved...A LOT. Skyward Sword was a step in the right direction but theirs still some room for improvement. If there is going to be a epic fight after a puzzle filled dungeon, then it needs to be... well epic.

I like what other people of posted, why not combine some of the ideas here? Such as you get to the final room which has a huge puzzle to solve. But here is the twist, completing the puzzle releases the boss which precedes to destroy the temple. So you have to flee and try and make it out of the falling apart dungeon by using your items. (Such as the bow to hit a switch, or the Hookshot to cross a newly opened gap in the floor) Afterwards depending how late in game this dungeon takes place, you would either fight the monster outside the dungeon, or the beast would be killed from knocking the temple down on itself.

I like the first option better but it could work either way. I think every boss battle should had something like this, not only to make it a epic fight, but so that you remember the battle (Fondly) after you win the game. I'm not saying you have to always run away from it, just something fun and unique from the last boss fight you had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom