• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Astral Chain; your thoughts

Astral Chain is available for purchase now and some of us have finished and/or are working our ways through it.

Platinum Games are masters of their craft with games such as Bayonetta and Nier Automata under their belts, but is Astral Chain up there with their beat for you?

What are your thoughts on Astral Chain?

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
I don't know what Astral Chain is, so it's hard to say.

I hope that it's a good game and making people happy, though. :)

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Only things I've played by Platinum are the Bayo games, but Astral Chain is easily on par with them, maybe even better. I really enjoy the combat and exploration (even if I fall off of things constantly) and the visuals are super cool. The story made my jaw drop a couple times. It's a great game.

Only things I've played by Platinum are the Bayo games, but Astral Chain is easily on par with them, maybe even better. I really enjoy the combat and exploration (even if I fall off of things constantly) and the visuals are super cool. The story made my jaw drop a couple times. It's a great game.

Oh man, if you like Astral Chain as much as Bayonetta then I guarantee Nier Automata would blow your mind.
I hope the Switch gets a port one day.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
I am a little bit of an energy drink connoisseur. I like to try many different tastes and brands, and right before I played this game I drank Pro! brands BCAA drink with raspberry flavor. And I kept drinking over the course of my play through. Sometimes it was hard to distinguish - was I drinking the game, or playing the drink?

Astral Chain is the energy drink of gaming. It's brisk, fast, fun and it just brims and hums with energetic youth. Most of all, it's the raspberry of Platinum's roster where Bayonetta is THAT club's infamous jäger shot and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance lets your tongue taste the harsh coldness of winter-befrostered steel.

Raspberry. It sounds weird, but that's exactly because it is. A little sour, a little sharp, but sweet and tasty nonetheless. Shine on the tongue.

Because more than anything else, Astral Chain has flavor. It's a bit hard to describe. Or, it's rather easy to describe, but one has to go an extra linguistic mile to fully encompass the greatness of Astral Chain. But let's give it a try: It's a charming, cool and unbelievably stylish action game that is fun, flippant, quirky and even a bit emotional.

As a game, it stretches itself way too thin in a way that keeps it from reaching the topmost shelf of Platinum's roster, to a point. But Astral Chain doesn't care. It stretches however thin it fricking wants, because it's that kind of game, like X-ray, who stokes itself way too thick with taurine just for the heck of it.

Let's abandon reason and give it a 10/10 just because the pride it takes in just being itself. Astral Chain is THAT game.

It tosses whatever it wants to toss at you and acts like it's obvious. Of COURSE it has RPG elements and upgradable weapons, and of COURSE you have a cute and dumb dog mascot for your police squad, and of COURSE do you collect toilets and since you have a huge fricking beast as a weapon why WOULDN'T you use your chain to platform jump?

This game is unique. Let's just leave it at that. It has a sublime artstyle bathed in sexy neon that I just simply can't get enough of. The combat and it's unique concept of having your typical attack-shoot-dodge-person team up with a pet tied to your chain, a chain which you can use to tie people up, is enthralling and engaging. The narrative is not afraid to stretch beyond stereotypes and grapple for a genuine, heartfelt story of family drama that tugs at you, in more ways than one.

And you can collect cans.

Just like I had to do when I finished the game.

Astral Chain.

Live it. Be it. Taste it.

Mmmmmm.

Just finished it last night: Absolutely loved it

Beautiful game, the cutscenes were outstanding looking; the story was short but sweet with a few good twists; love the gameplay beat em' ups/combos but some of the after game cases are hard as balls; fun cast of characters overall but would've like to spend some more time with them after their initial level (Jin, Alicia & Kyle); soundtrack is incredible & really hypes up it's highpoints

100% will play again in future, 100% would purchase a sequel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom