• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Assassin's Creed III: Character and Setting Leak

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Earlier today, Ubisoft mentioned that a major announcement was coming this Monday involving Assassin's Creed. The image in this link heavily suggest that this game will take place during the American Revolution. Could this be what Ubisoft had in store for us on Monday?

Personally, I think the setting really fits and the character looks cool. Let's just hope he can live up to Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad and Ezio Auditore Da Firenze.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jedizora

:right:
YES! I was so hoping for the American Revolution. Now I have all the Bragging rights because I was right But anyway, this looks awesome. I wonder who the main targets will be? I can't wait to see the main character, if this is true that is.

Assassins Creed III Boxart Reveal and Countdown

I just received this email from Ubisoft about Assassins Creed III and we will get an official reveal in 3 Days, 10 Hours, 16 Minutes and 9 Seconds from when I write this :P. The boxart for the game has also been unveiled proving the American theme to be true, here is the link with the countdown and the boxart:

http://email.ubi.com/cgi-bin6/DM/t/hBIKD0brFGM0V8D0BmSuh0Eq

Im definately getting the game as I've just finished Revelations, what about you?
ac3.jpg

Djinn

and Tonic
I'm still a little confused as to why Revolutionary era America was chosen since it is missing an important key element of the series, lots of tall buildings to climb and jump off of. Most cities in that time were still developing and outside of maybe Philadelphia and New York there is very little in the way of large urban settings with plenty of tall buildings to make any use of eagle vision whatsoever. In fact each of those towns were not that large or built up either. I thought this was a strange move on part of Ubisoft mostly because of the mechanics of the game. Now it is making me think if several aspects of the gameplay will be altered or replaced because of this. I really hope there is not a lot of tree climbing to make up for that lack of buildings. Maybe even ship masts but that could only give you a decent look at a harbor at best. Or if eagle vision is to be replaced by some other mechanic for finding your way around a town or spotting targets.

Ironically this exact same era would work if the game was located in London at the very least. I think even Jamacia and Mexico are much more built up places at this point in time.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
I'm still a little confused as to why Revolutionary era America was chosen since it is missing an important key element of the series, lots of tall buildings to climb and jump off of. Most cities in that time were still developing and outside of maybe Philadelphia and New York there is very little in the way of large urban settings with plenty of tall buildings to make any use of eagle vision whatsoever. In fact each of those towns were not that large or built up either. I thought this was a strange move on part of Ubisoft mostly because of the mechanics of the game. Now it is making me think if several aspects of the gameplay will be altered or replaced because of this. I really hope there is not a lot of tree climbing to make up for that lack of buildings. Maybe even ship masts but that could only give you a decent look at a harbor at best. Or if eagle vision is to be replaced by some other mechanic for finding your way around a town or spotting targets.
EagleVision will probably still be in ACIII, probably just implemented differently. It would be dumb of Ubisoft to break away from the mechanics that make Assassin's Creed such a great series. Also, since this is the American Revolution, maybe the Hidden Blades can be replaced with Hidden Bayonets? Also, on a funnier note, SourceFed on YouTube just released this video that shares their opinions on the new Assassin's Creed game:
[video=youtube;AB2qRoNkdTY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AB2qRoNkdTY[/video]

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
Though I'm absolutely in love with the look of the game so far, the American Revolution era has be baffled. Free running has been a major part of them game, in fact I'm a huge fan of those smooth mechanics involved. Giant buildings to climb, amazing architecture. I'm going to be a little disappointed if all we end up climbing in this game is sod houses and tepees. Many things like pick pocketing, trailing and blending in relied on crowds and cities. I'm very interested in how they are going to pull this off, or if they are just scrapping the old and coming up with completely new mechanics.The only things I can really think of is more stuff like the Assassin Den thing in Revelations. I can't say I really enjoyed that, but I have a feeling it will play a bigger part in this game. I really am wondering what they are going to do with freeruning, since there will be little to freerun on in that time period. Perhaps they will finally allow us to climb trees, or maybe the freerunning will be altered to running in dense forests.

I'm not a very big fan of this location, I was really hoping for China, with such an interesting history many scenarios could be used for the story. The American Revolution seems to have a more fixed history. I have no clue how they are going to make that work. None the less, I have very excited for this game and what it's going to offer. I am hoping they end the trilogy well, I am looking forward to Desmond's and the worlds fate.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Ironically this exact same era would work if the game was located in London at the very least. I think even Jamacia and Mexico are much more built up places at this point in time.

I'm not a very big fan of this location, I was really hoping for China, with such an interesting history many scenarios could be used for the story. The American Revolution seems to have a more fixed history. I have no clue how they are going to make that work. None the less, I have very excited for this game and what it's going to offer. I am hoping they end the trilogy well, I am looking forward to Desmond's and the worlds fate.

I don't think it would work much if the game took place anywhere but America. This game is finally gonna end the story of Desmond Miles. That being said, the American Revolution setting makes a lot sense seeing as it's much closer to Desmond. Something else I've thought about since the main character seems to be Native American is that this character's animal spirit is going to be an Eagle. I even wonder if they're going to touch up on why the Eagle is America's emblem.

As for the gameplay, I'm sure Ubisoft has something in mind. Maybe they're finally going to change the formula because of all those lames out there complaining about Assassin's Creed being like Call of Duty. Which by the way, I highly disagree with for a number of reasons I'm not going to get into. And climbing trees seems a bit odd....I'm sure Ubisoft can do better.

Last edited:

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I doubled posted, deal with it.

The screens for Assassin's Creed III look amazing. It looks so different and I don't care. In a way, it reminds me of Red Dead Redemption. And hey, he's on top of a tree.

Last edited:

Ganondork

goo
This is definitely going to make for a great game. Connor - this new Assassin - is part Native American and part British. This is going to be a very interesting combination, and we see his Native American influence with the use of the tomahawk. Luckily, he still has that gun that he can use.

Djinn said:

I actually read an article that Destiny gave me a little under an hour ago. We'll be free running up trees and cliffs. Oddly enough, I was actually thinking about this before I read the article. I see a lot of promise for this specific element; America was mainly wilderness during the revolution, so we can expect the trees to be as numerous as Italia's, Masyaf's, or Konstantiniyye's architectural playground that we've become so accustomed to. No doubt this will be prevalent during battles - I'm guessing we'll be doing assassinations during historical battles - as we'll have the option to air assassinate from them just like from the top of a building.

As for eagle sense? I believe eagle sense is a trait passed down from the People Who Came Before - as stated by Desmond's father in Revelations - and Connor no doubt is of their blood, just like Desmond, Altair, and Ezio. What this will be used for? I'd just think tracking down your contract; a Templar - who I'm willing to bet will be a general in these battles during the war.

zeldahuman said:
EagleVision will probably still be in ACIII, probably just implemented differently. It would be dumb of Ubisoft to break away from the mechanics that make Assassin's Creed such a great series. Also, since this is the American Revolution, maybe the Hidden Blades can be replaced with Hidden Bayonets?

They're keeping mechanics, but doing away with the old things, and just fixing them. Such examples are killing animations. I believe the article I read said that all killing animations used previously will not be recycled, and will be replaced. This makes sense from my point of view; the tomahawk is very different from the swords used in the previous Assassin's Creed games.

Hidden blades will be kept. How can they do away with an item that Altair, Ezio, and every other Assassin has used? Desmond even uses the hidden blades, so it would make sense to keep it around. I understand that it's a different time - the tomahawk instead of a sword is a good example of different times - but some traditions are meant to be preserved.

Destiny said:
Though I'm absolutely in love with the look of the game so far, the American Revolution era has be baffled. Free running has been a major part of them game, in fact I'm a huge fan of those smooth mechanics involved. Giant buildings to climb, amazing architecture. I'm going to be a little disappointed if all we end up climbing in this game is sod houses and tepees. Many things like pick pocketing, trailing and blending in relied on crowds and cities. I'm very interested in how they are going to pull this off, or if they are just scrapping the old and coming up with completely new mechanics.The only things I can really think of is more stuff like the Assassin Den thing in Revelations. I can't say I really enjoyed that, but I have a feeling it will play a bigger part in this game. I really am wondering what they are going to do with freeruning, since there will be little to freerun on in that time period. Perhaps they will finally allow us to climb trees, or maybe the freerunning will be altered to running in dense forests.

I know at this point that you're aware that we're free running up trees. I think you also know that the den defense has been removed this time around - something I'm somewhat happy is gone. I don't even think I'd really be able to think up a scenario when it would be able to do it and make sense. If anything, maybe when the colonists or British invade Native American territory, then maybe Connor will side with the Natives and fend them off. Being half Native American and half British, you have to wonder who exactly he's going to favor.

I think Connor's interaction with George Washington and Benjamin Franklin will be refreshing, giving this era the same thing that gave Assassin's Creed a spark; adding a little fiction to hard facts. Although battles are set in stone, I don't think we're really going to hone in on the battles; more can happen in this game than just battle upon battle.

I must not have been paying enough attention to the People Who Came Before scenes. Is this the end of Desmond once we've seen all of Connor's memories? In a way I hope this is what happens; I'd like to see a new person going into the Animus and seeing different ancestors.

I think Assassin's Creed III is going to be a great game. We really don't know much about it, but from what I've seen, I'm very excited. October 30th is going to be a good game.

This game looks very good so far. I think the American Revolution era setting will be done nicely. Since it's a time period that I (and most other Americans) know a lot about, it will be fun to see how they incorporate the storyline of an assassin into all of it.

I'm going to play Assassin's Creed II soon (thanks to the suggestion of Ganondork), and if I enjoy that one enough, I'll definitely be buying this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom