• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo As of late March 2023, it will no longer be possible to make Nintendo eShop purchases for the Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

End of an era. Even though it wasn't the most financially profitable time for Nintendo, I had a lot of fun with both the Wii U and 3DS.

There are still a few games I want to download like Kirby's Dreamland 3, Kirby 64, Affordable Space Adventures, and Sakura Samurai before the shops close. I'll also miss Virtual Console a lot. Not a fan of the newer subscription service model.

Super Mario Bros. 3 Super Mario Advance 4, the GBA version of Mario 3, is worth checking out on Wii U for those who haven't because all the e-Reader levels are included. Definitely one of the most above and beyond things Nintendo has done with a Virtual Console rerelease.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
It's fitting. Both systems are basically dead at this point (homebrew communities notwithstanding).

Though both consoles had vastly different life cycles (as far as success is concerned), it seems appropriate for both to come to an end together.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I remember the news about bowser's inside story 3ds being one of the worst selling mario games, that shows how much everyone jumped ship from the 3ds to the switch, and the wii u was long abandoned before that

it really was only a matter of time, but like the wii, homebrew is going to be the way to go from here on

Dapperchihiro123

I got a key! Let me find a door!
i am sad. i really like the 3ds and am sad that the games i want to get will be unavailable to me soon. i got samus returns and majora's mask 3D, because i heard this was coming. still :(:(:(:(:(:(

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
No, you can still buy games until March 2023. What ends in August is adding funds via prepaid cards (via credit cards ends in May).
Oh, I thought adding via credit cards was already gone, that's a relief for me at least. I remember that that's what happened with the Wii tho, they took away the ability to add funds a good bit before shutting down the shop.

How does this even work though? You can add funds to the Switch eShop with prepaid cards and it updates your balance on the 3DS.

"Users who link their Nintendo Network ID wallet (used with Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems) with their Nintendo Account wallet (used with the Nintendo Switch family of systems) can use the shared balance to purchase content on any of these systems until late March 2023. After that, the balance can only be used to purchase content for the Nintendo Switch family of systems."

So that August deadline to add funds only really applies to people who own a Wii U or 3DS but not a Switch. You are right that having a Nintendo Network ID wallet and Nintendo Account wallet linked means the money is useable across systems until March 2023.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom