• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Artists You Used to Love/Hate

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I don't think it'd be a stretch to say that all of us have had our musical tastes change over time. Maybe there was a band or singer you used to absolutely love, but now think are actually a bit rubbish. Perhaps there was a band or singer you used to absolutely hate, but now think they're actually pretty good. Has this happened for you, and, if so, who was it and why?

To get the stone rolling (Music jokes! How droll!), I used to adore Muse, back around 2007-08. Loved them. Went to see them live (which I have only ever done for two other acts because I hate live concerts) and had all their albums, etc. I was proper geared up for The Resistance in 2009, bought it (bought it) the day it was released, and then...

... And then I realised that between their (then) five studio albums, I liked exactly eight songs of theirs. The Resistance was a pathetic album that opened with the only good song they had recorded for it, Uprising, and then was just a mire of boring tracks that sounded like copy/paste efforts of their earlier work. I went back to those previous albums to remind myself of why I was excited for The Resistance in the first place and realised that I had only ever listened to their debut, Showbiz, once because it is one of the worst albums I've ever heard. Black Holes And Revelations is their best effort, but even that boasts only three songs worth listening to.

I can't exactly explain why my opinion changed so much so suddenly. I liked them one day, thought they were awful the next. Maybe I was just taken in by the fact that Muse were the first band I 'shared' with my friends. Before them, no one I knew really shared my taste in music, but then we had this 'great' band we could all enjoy and it was fun, for a while. Maybe The Resistance just shone a light on how bad they really were, took it to that point when I had to stop kidding myself and admit that I didn't like them. Maybe that's why, anyway.

How about you though? Who've you come to love? Who've you come to hate? And more importantly, why?

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I used to be a big Madonna fan in the 80's. My walls were literally covered with pics and posters and I had all her albums. I always dressed up as her when I went to school parties etc. But now I dislike her. Maybe it is because during the late 80's and 90's she took a break for a while or the fact I grew up (even though I still love most of the music I loved back then) but I grew tired of her and her behavior. Am I feeling ashamed of being a fan of her in the past? Absolutely not. It was part of my youth and it was fun as long as it last but now it is over and the woman never fails to annoy me

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
The only thing I can really thing of is I used to really hate Heavy Metal, and now it's all I listen to. I'm not really sure why though.

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Well I used to hate Owl City simply because it was pop and at that time I was of the mindset "all pop is stupid and lame!!!!!", but then my sister kept listening to it and so did I and I fell in love with it. :3 I used to not like The Beatles because they were an old band and I was thinking, "well those old bands are just not cool and all", but my music tastes have matured since then. X3 I used to not like Carbon Leaf for a short time, until, once again, my sister listened to it a lot and I reaaaaaallly like it now. Yeup. :>

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I used to dislike Iron Maiden as a kid because my sister is a metalhead and played it all the time and I was so against metal or any kind of rock music. But now I like Rocke music and Iron Maiden. I won't say I'm a big fan but I like them but I'm a huge fan of rock/classic rock

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Well I used to hate Owl City simply because it was pop and at that time I was of the mindset "all pop is stupid and lame!!!!!", but then my sister kept listening to it and so did I and I fell in love with it. :3 I used to not like The Beatles because they were an old band and I was thinking, "well those old bands are just not cool and all", but my music tastes have matured since then. X3 I used to not like Carbon Leaf for a short time, until, once again, my sister listened to it a lot and I reaaaaaallly like it now. Yeup. :>

Wow, this is me except the complete opposite. I used to be obsessed with Owl City to the point where they were the only group that I listened to. Nowadays I couldn't even care for the group at all, but from time-to-time I'll listen to a song of theirs. It's not that I don't find Owl City's music enjoyable, rather that I've grown apart from the fandom. Additionally, I used to be a huge fan of Vocaloid, but now I hardly ever even look for Vocaloid songs when searching for music. It's unfortunate, because some of the songs are pretty nice.

I used to listen to hip-hop, and pop all the time. My parents would play lots of rock and heavy metal to the point where I don't want to listen to it anymore. I used to listen to rap and now I despise it. My favourite rapper used to be Eminem (then time passed to where I hated him so much. ) and now I enjoy his music again.

Back when me and my sister used to get along, we would always listen to Rihanna and her works, back then she was more innocent with her singing and I adored it. Now its just about money, sex, and drugs and i'm not the type of person to translate from one clean artist to a person like her and how she is now. I mean I was happy for her when she got the Idol award in the Music awards this/last year, but just not a fan of her music anymore

Hanyou

didn't build that
Writing this up was sort of an emotional experience because it took me through a very specific stretch of time in my life.

Also, weird to think how instrumental the first four Tony Hawk games were in defining my musical tastes. Sometimes I feel like the only person who even remembers those games.

1.) It started with Less Than Jake. After picking up Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, my interest in punk music exploded. I'd played the first three games when they were released and loved their soundtracks, but I decided that I needed to actually start adding the music of bands I liked to my personal collection. So in 2003-ish I bought Losing Streak off another kid at my school for $8. It was in great condition, so I think it was a steal.

Pretty soon, I stopped listening to classical, folk, and classic rock. Beethoven and the Beatles were put on the shelf in favor of a ska band. I don't know if this was a positive turn of events, but it made me happy, and I easily shifted between Losing Streak, my Best of Simon and Garfunkel CD, and a random compilation of anime and modern rock songs downloaded off the internet.

2.) I used to love AFI. I was introduced to The Boy Who Destroyed the World through (what else?) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 back in 2002, and it was my next project after Less than Jake. I bought their just-released album, Sing the Sorrow. I thought it was odd, daring, different, but really, it was just kind of representative of what music sounded like at the time.

Then I heard The Art of Drowning, released just before Sing the Sorrow. I loved it about as much.

These two albums and a few of the other songs I'd heard (like Fishbowl) made AFI my favorite band when I was a starry-eyed college freshman.

3.) I met the love of my life that year. She listened to Yellowcard, so I picked up One for the Kids and their latest release Ocean Avenue and listened to them regularly because she did. They fit in with all the other punk I was listening to, even though they were pop-punk.

4.) Then there was metal. I think a genuine interest in metal has a way of nuking a person's interests in a lot of other genres. I used to hate it because I thought it would lead to Satan worship. Well, I was already listening to punk, so I was probably going to Hell already. I chose to download a couple of Iron Maiden songs, then bought Brave New World in March 2005 (how do I remember that specific month? No clue). Great album. Now one of my least favorite of theirs.

Once I heard Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (and yes, that's sort of where the "7th" in my name comes from to this day), I knew I wanted to be a metalhead. The following years were a dizzy journey through prog metal (Dream Theater, Symphony X, Savatage) power metal (Nightwish, Helloween, Kamelot, Sonata Arctica), and Doom Metal (Candlemass, Trouble). My interest in metal continues to grow as I'm now more thoroughly exploring thrash and death metal. And honestly, about 50% of what I listen to now is metal, with prog taking a hefty 30% and everything else (mostly classical) taking up the other 20.

So what that means is that bands like Less than Jake, AFI, and Yellowcard are absolute relics. It's not that I dislike them, it's that I used to listen to them so much and now only barely ever turn on the music, and I generally do so just to reminisce. In a strange turn of events, this has also kind of happened with Iron Maiden as I've moved on to faster or heavier metal, and I've memorized half their discography anyway. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, the whole damn album, is perfectly replicated in my brain, so why bother listening to it every day like I did in 2005?

I do hope I can one day listen to punk and ska again with genuine interest. Those were good times. But it's hard to cultivate an interest, apart from Flogging Molly, which I've never really stopped listening to. I do not see the current, more cynical version of myself ever getting into those first three bands, and I marvel at (and sort of envy) the version of myself that did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom