• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Armor in Wii Zelda?

What type of armor do you think the new game should have?

• LttP type (percentage of damage off)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Magic Armor (invincibility that uses magic/rupees)

• Tunics (water, fire, etc.)

• Total voters
D

Dark Nut

Does anyone else want armor that reduces damage by percentages in the new game? I don't mean tunics or the magic armor, but armor like the kind that you get in LttP.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I'd say a combination of the type ALttP offered and various tunics. I'd like to see tunics with both resistance AND weaknesses. I'd like to see one tunic offer more defense percentage-wise but also maybe affect the usage of various items. For instance, it'd be neat if your red tunic could protect you against heat and/or fire while simultaneously increasing the damage fire or bomb arrows might do, but it'd also reduce defense against neutral attacks.

While these would be interesting, it's hard to image how they'd be implemented without going overboard and turning Zelda into an RPG. We don't need that. But something needs to be done about the simplicity of the armor. Weapons and equipment need to keep up with the series' overall progression.

D

Dark Nut

Maybe they could have a system like in LttP with things like the flippers to replace the tunics. Maybe some sorts of medallions that could allow you to breath underwater, etc.

While these would be interesting, it's hard to image how they'd be implemented without going overboard and turning Zelda into an RPG. We don't need that. But something needs to be done about the simplicity of the armor. Weapons and equipment need to keep up with the series' overall progression.
I actually think the series could benefit from a light implementation of RPG elements, but I agree with you that going overboard and turning it into an outright RPG would be bad.

I actually don't particularly want to see any of those poll options. Well, some of them might be nice to have on the side, but what I want is an expansion on two different games' takes on the equipment: Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess.

I want a OoT equipment system, but expanded and larger, with equipment (including armor) that function like in TP. It would give basic traits (like water breathing or heat resistance), but would also have new abilities and power, in a way functioning like the transformations in MM. I think this would be awesome.

D

Dark Nut

The Magic Armor is kind of like a lack of any armor choices, as it appears in two games in which there is very little armor, WW and TP, and by tunics I was trying to refer to the tunics in OoT. Also, I never played OoT myself, so I don't know much about how the items and armor systems worked, all I remember were tunics or some kind. I think the traits of the tunics might be able to be transferred into other items that can be acquired like the pegasus boots, flippers, and gloves in LttP, allowing for the damage buffering armor and the tunic type abilities in the same game. These items might also be made like the iron boots/lead boots, in that they would be able to be put on, and would not be permanently worn, allowing for some extra tactical decisions as to when to use each of these items.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
I think they should stick with the tunic formula, but throw in some more variation. Like different gauntlets like in OoT and different boots, different sheaths and maybe even his belt? maybe that's going to far but now you get my point. I would like to see more customization when it come to tunics and armor and accessories like those magic rings and his hat.. it would be neat if they made us find the matching hat for his different colored tunics... but that would be way to tedious for some people. all the previous games have featured a more simplistic menu when costomizing links apearance and so I don't really mind if the Zelda games never expand on the amount of in game comstumes and armor. I just think that it would add more appeal to the series if we could mess around with Link's look. like when people hack TP to give him all the different colored tunics he had in brawl plus a bunch of other ones. Honestly though i dont think Zelda wii will change that much in this way... we might get one suit that has a bit more armor on it like the magic armor but that will probably be all. If there's more that 5 different outfits I'll freak out. I'm not exactly sure why though.

I really think the magic armor made TP very easy. But it would be nice to have damage cut in half. With the tunic's the blue tunic in TP was amazing the design on it was good all around was just awesome!! What i think they need to do next is make new tunic!! Dont keep doing to same old thing....any ideas?

linkman8

True and Noble
I think TP had the right idea with the armor system, but I would've been happier if there had been more options, and each of them did different things. For example, one could cut sword damage in half, one could increase your attack power, one could make you faster, etc. And if they made like 8 of these different armors that would be relatively tough to get, then that'd be great.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I like the idea of a bit more customization and diversity. I don't want for the armor system to go overboard with options, but they can change it up a little so we have more than just two extra tunic upgrades/types and more than just some sort of gauntlet that allows us to pick up the odd special items. I'd like to see different tunics that affect different aspects of Link's defense against elements like being frozen for how long or burned for how much damage, so basically I like the TP tunic system, but maybe with a few more choices. Maybe gauntlets that affect weapon strength rather than just letting us pick up certain specific obstacles. Maybe boots beyond just the iron/hover/pegasus boots that affect Link's speed over certain types of terrain. Each would have its benefits and problems, and any not necessary to the plot progression would get its own (hopefully fun) sidequest, because who doesn't love fun sidequests. If the rumors about Zelda Wii having less weapons is true, then this kind of equipment diversity would be amazing for people who love diversity of combat options.

Of course, I wouldn't want Zelda Wii to be flooded with RPG elements, but I think equipment diversity to this degree is workable.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
As much as I like defensive upgrades, we didn't really need them in TP. On the other hand, I liked the way the Zora armor made you weak to certain enemy types. If a wider range of were available in Zelda Wii, it would be nice if they were not only tailored to certain uses, but average to poor at other uses that they weren't designed for.

On a shallow note, I wasn't fond of the armor that actually looked like armor in TP. Something more than a different-colored tunic, sure. But I'm okay with "its magic will protect you" rather than it looking like it could actually take a beating. :P

D

Dark Nut

Maybe they could have the tunics and things, but there could be a sidequest in which you would be able to get chain mail to wear underneath, you could start with hardened leather armor underneath, get chain mail, then maybe some other sort of armor. if you look at link from TP closely he is wearing hardened leather studded with chain mail underneath his green tunic. They could also bring back the fairy fountain from LttP that would allow you to upgrade to silver mail, and have a better one, like the one on the pyramid in the dark world, that would allow you to upgrade to golden mail. This would also allow them to make the game much more difficult, but have a solution for more casual players who need the game to be easier.

Epona

Ordon Village
My favorite has been the tunics. I really liked switching between the different tunics in OoT. I just liked the basic protection, being able to breath underwater, and being safe when it's too hot. Nothing fancy like using magic or rupees. That was good enough for me.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
Well, I don't know what they are like in LttP, but if they're like the ones in the original, than I'd like that. I think it's cool to have the upgrades like that. Still though, I really liked liked the armor that was OoT.
In my mind the former type of armor would only work (in my mind anyway) if the difficulty was ramped up quite a bit - just so there was a need for it. But the latter could work regardless. Perhaps though, like others have said, they could give each type advantages and disadvantges (somewhat like the transformation masks in MM). I think that would be cool. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom