• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are Zoras Really Extinct?

Z

zorbak962

Zoras are my favorite race but it seems they are extict since the great flood in the "Adult Link" timeline. I find it wierd that the zoras, water-based creatures that can breathe underwater died and the gorons survived. That hardly makes sense. Any thoughts?

Volvagia

Gentlemanly Lava Dragon
Actually, it's commonly accepted that they didn't die out, but instead evolved into the Ruto. Why this happened is more of a mystery. Maybe their species wasn't suited for ocean life, but you'd think that they would simply adapt to it. Turning from fish to bird people in the middle of a giant ocean really doesn't make too much sense.

Ganondorf

"Dandori Issue"
I like to think that they are there, but don't associate with Hyrule much. I don't think that Gorons or Zoras have died out, more like they are just more uncommon or live elsewhere. The Great Sea is huge, and I don't think I'd count the areas in WW being the only part (as doesn't the KoRL stop you from proceeding farther out to sea past your Seachart's areas?). I don't think the Zora became the Rito either, but that's just me. There was a rather big Goron clan in PH, so I expect there is likely a Zora domain somewhere else in the Great Sea too.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
In OoT if you'r adult Link and beat the water temple the zora's domain ice wont melt so they yeah...they may very well be extinct. :P

And in WW the great sea would have been one huge playground for the zoras, that would have been way overpowered :O

as far as i know, they're still in TP. But the newer games don't really mention zoras at all,but that is more of a kid-ish link.

Xixor

Warrior of the Past
Actually, it's commonly accepted that they didn't die out, but instead evolved into the Ruto. Why this happened is more of a mystery. Maybe their species wasn't suited for ocean life, but you'd think that they would simply adapt to it. Turning from fish to bird people in the middle of a giant ocean really doesn't make too much sense.

Well, some people "over understand" that. Whoever said it first probably meant it as the Ruto took the place of the Zoras for WW's sake. Well that's what I believe anyway.

I don't think they died out necessarily, but they probably had no reason to hang around land anymore. Zoras are technically in PH and ST; however, they are enemies. So actually, the Zoras did not go extinct. They appear in PH and ST.

Djinn

and Tonic
I believe Nintendo is moving in this direction, mostly since there are no Zoras present in Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks. But the original Zora design from LoZ are there under the name Geozard. Some of which even breathe fire like the original Zora/River Zora of the older games.
Geozard.png

They look very similar to the original concept of the Zora before they were made into the peaceful tribe in OoT. Another point is the Gorons have been present in PH and ST so Nintendo is not dropping all the species of OoT, some are staying around. WW gave the explanation that the Zora "evolved" into the Rito. So it might be possible that there were never very many Zora in the world or they were only the single very small isolated tribe built around Jabu Jabu just as the entire Rito species is settled around Valoo. And the Kokiri/Koroks lived around the guardianship of the Deku Tree.

The Zora were still known, or at least Hylians knew of them in PH since there were the treasures Zora Scale and Ruto Crown, the Ruto crown mentions the princess of the Zoras but by that point in time it could be a local legend surrounding the item.

In three consecutive sequels there have been no Zora, which lead me to believe that they no longer exist as Zora in that specific point in the timeline. The only evidence to back this up though is just the description that the Rito were once Zora, and after that they have never appeared again. Meanwhile Nintendo has reused them again in the separate timeline in TP. So it seems that After the great flood they no longer exist, but in the world without the great flood they are still around.

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
Adding to Djinn's info on the Zora's it's made quite clear in Majora's Mask (yes i know its on the other timeline but the info should stay intact however) that Zora's need a certain temperature water to live in and produce offspring. Also the fact that the Zora's are proven to evolve because they would not be able to properly defend themselves against bigger and greater enemies within the Great Sea and if im correct Zora's may be fresh water fish people. That means they probably wouldn't be able to survive in salt water. Granted that, the goddesses may have recognized this and help the Zoras evolve into the Rito people. Further evidence of this is that Medli's ancestor, Rutella, is Zora much like Makar's ancestor is a kokiri. They are very much related. Also if you notice on Medli's clothing, there is the emblem of the Zora race which bears a resemblance to the Zora's Sapphire. The Zora's were a noble race of Hyrule and the Goddesses would not likely want to wipe them out...Remember they only flooded Hyrule to try and rid it of evil as there was no Hero of Time to rise up against the freed Ganondorf. Another interesting fact is that Zoras had fins on their arms to help them swim as the Rito have wings on their arms to help them fly. Those fins could have very well evolved into wings. I hope this helped :)

It's possible they were extinct, or evolved into the Rito. However, I like to think that they just haven't been shown in any of the games. I think the Great Sea is huge and the parts we've seen in WW and PH only show part of the world.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Well, some people "over understand" that. Whoever said it first probably meant it as the Ruto took the place of the Zoras for WW's sake. Well that's what I believe anyway.
Aonuma said:
We created the Rito as the evolved form of the Zora that appeared in "Ocarina of Time" and the Koroks as what the Kokiri became once they left the forest. They appear different, but they have inherited their blood.
They "inherited their blood." There's no other way to interpret it.

Further evidence of this is that Medli's ancestor, Rutella, is Zora much like Makar's ancestor is a kokiri. ... Those fins could have very well evolved into wings.
I won't argue about evolution at this time, but I might as well make a few little corrections. Laruto is Medli's ancestor (I know that's what you meant); Rutela was the queen in TP. The fins did not evolve into wings. Their wings were given to them by Valoo. Notice that Komali doesn't have wings at all when you first meet him.

Adding to Djinn's info on the Zora's it's made quite clear in Majora's Mask (yes i know its on the other timeline but the info should stay intact however) that Zora's need a certain temperature water to live in and produce offspring. Also the fact that the Zora's are proven to evolve because they would not be able to properly defend themselves against bigger and greater enemies within the Great Sea and if im correct Zora's may be fresh water fish people. That means they probably wouldn't be able to survive in salt water

No, there is a whole Tribe of Zoras living the ocean in OoA. So well, they are capable of living in the sea.

ZeldaDungeon

Dungeoneer
just because you cant see them doesnt mean there extinct.

That is true, I could believe that even though there not there, that doesnt mean there extinct.

Z

zorbak962

Well, they CAN live in both sea and river. And yes i know they evolved into the Rito. Still, i wanna believe they're still some out there.
Zoras are way cooler than rito.

Djinn

and Tonic
No, there is a whole Tribe of Zoras living the ocean in OoA. So well, they are capable of living in the sea.

There has been some question if this game can be accepted since it was not made by Nintendo but by Capcom. There are a few inaccuracies in it that contradicts some parts of the story in other Nintendo produced games. The two types of Zora being one of then since Nintendo has never done this.

However in MM the Zora had few problems with seawater so there is probably no divide between saltwater and freshwater Zora. Just that LoZ, AoL, and ALTTP has evil fishmen Zora. OoT, MM, and TP had peaceful aquatic people Zora. And PH and ST had evil fishmen Zora again. The two never seem to exist at the same time in Nintendo made games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom