• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are your favourite gaming franchises in a good place at the moment?

Every series has its ups and downs, sometimes the downs can last quite a while, but so can the highs.

Are your favourite video games franchises enjoying a high currently?

Are you a Zelda fan enjoying the new direction BotW took?

Are you a Pokemon fan disappointed by Sword and Shield?

An Assassin's Creed fan loving the new RPG mechanics?

Or are you a Tekken fan lamenting input delay and expensive DLC?

How are your favourite video game franchises doing at the moment?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
If we lump together Undertale and Deltarune as a 'franchise', well I suppose so. Deltarune ch. 1 was great, and I'm stoked to see where the next few chapters will go.

I couldn't be happier with Zelda. BotW is my favorite game ever made, and BotW2 is all my dreams coming true.

Then we have Metroid ............. ... .. . .. . . . . . . .. .. . .

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Zelda: Awesome! Love it.
Mario: Pretty great, looking forward to more!
Hollow Knight: Not sure if this counts as a franchise. Can’t wait for Silksong, but it looks like I’ll have to.
Splatoon: In great state, not sure if anything will happen for a while.

Metroid: If I wasn’t a huge fan, I’d forget this series exists.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Metal Gear - NO

Xenoblade - heck yeah, I think it has quite the future after the remake releases [watch this comment age horribly]

GTA - 5 has been a wild success and the online is still kicking, it's only a matter of time until we get the next game

Mario - yup, it's been as consistently good as ever, aside the lul in the wii u era

Zelda - things are looking up, the sequel is coming out and that's looking to be a big success too

Zelda: BotW was great and BotW is looking promising with a tone I'm very intrigued by.

Tales: Berseria was excellent, Arise is looking to change things up. It's looking good so I'm hoping it delivers.

Mario: Odyssey was ****ing amazing so let's hope I get me a sequel.

Kirby: Star Allies was a bombshell for lore and the free DLC elevated the experience. Word is the next Kirby will be the 'pinnacle' for the series, so I am very excited.

Metroid: I used to care, but then Other M happened and all I've felt since is soul-scraping dread for every title. Plus Samus Returns wasn't great. Let's hope Retro still have it in them.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Tbh I’m not very optimistic about this.

Zelda- BotW was a good game, but it simply didn’t fit the series. I really hope this isn’t the new direction for the series, but that’s doubtful considering how well it did.

Pokémon- sword and shield were embarrassments to the legacy of the franchise, and there is no sign of GameFreak getting of their lazy behinds to make a product worth buying so the series is as good as dead to me.

Mario- this is the only series that Im actually excited for the future of. Odyssey is my second favorite game in the series (and honestly I think it’s the best game in the series period). Odyssey 2 is almost inevitable and based on the amount of quality and fan service in the first game it’s bound to be good.

Metroid- I don’t really have much to say. Prime 4 is coming out (eventually) and while I was never a huge fan of prime I’m still just content knowing that there’s a new game on the horizon.

Smash- Ultimate is one of my favorite games of all time, but the DLC has been very hit or miss. Joker, Hero, and Banjo & Kazooie were all terrific additions to the roster, but terry was way too obscure, Generic anime swordsman #48927 doesn’t need to exist, and an Arms rep is just overall kinda disappointing. They can still save it, but I’m worried.

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
Metal Gear - NO

Mario - yup, it's been as consistently good as ever, aside the lul in the wii u era

Preach!! Konami just IMMEDIATELY torpedoed Metal Gear the second Kojima left - gonna miss that franchise.

And as for Mario, you take that back! Super Mario 3D world was no Galaxy or Oddyssey, and it was a little easy at times, but it was a damn fun game with a lot of awesome powerups! Besides that, the multiplayer was some of the best fun to be had on a couch, anywhere!

As for my OWN favorite franchises...

Monster Hunter World continues to deliver over and over again (Alatreon comes out soon ahhh!),

Pokemon is... OK at best, but the expansion packs come out and building competitive teams is easier than it's ever been. Plus, I'm *very* cautiously optimistic for Sinnoh remakes coming up - they were my favorite gen and IMO the DPP / HGSS 5-game gauntlet is the pinnacle of the series. So, even if they flub it somewhat, it'll still be enjoyable. They messed up a lot in Sw/Sh, but it's still Pokemon - that alone makes my minimum score like a 6/10 unless they deliberately try to ruin everything that was good rather than just being inept and lazy.

Minecraft hasn't changed a bit at the same time it's changed a ton, and it's just as good as ever!

Zelda with BotW 2 on the horizon is looking awesome, and even if it never releases I could replay LttP / Ocarina / Majoras / Phantom Hourglass / TP / Skyward / BotW in a continous loop for years to come, so good overall!

And finally, Bloodborne (even though it isn't really a franchise... yet) is STILL one of the best games ever made, and will continue to be, probably forever.

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
Smash- Ultimate is one of my favorite games of all time, but the DLC has been very hit or miss. Joker, Hero, and Banjo & Kazooie were all terrific additions to the roster, but terry was way too obscure, Generic anime swordsman #48927 doesn’t need to exist, and an Arms rep is just overall kinda disappointing. They can still save it, but I’m worried.

GENERIC ANIME SWORDSMAN #48927 SHOULD HAVE BEEN MONSTER HUNTER. Could have even been almost the same kit - greatsword, bow and lance would match the moveset nearly 1:1, with only the whip sword really needing special considerations or changes to make fit.

As for Smash as a whole, I think Ultimate is almost untouchable - not perfect, not flawless, but untouchable -because the roster is SO huge and it's amazing for pickup games with all the custom rules and quality-of-life changes. In fact, it's got such a breadth of content, I anticipate Smash 6 to be a soft reboot featuring new movesets for classic characters - a Cappy moveset for Mario, a more directly BotW moveset for Link, a Guardian / Ancient Tech focus for Zelda, an updated Samus moveset using weapons and abilities in Prime 4, etc. They really can't go UP from "every character ever plus DLC", so they'll have to break the mold a little bit.

The only one I can think of is Sonic, and even then it's more... okay than good.

The rest have either been irreparably defiled or they are still in that "okay" position, but the writing on the wall says they'll be getting theirs soon.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
Zelda is my favorite gaming series, and right now, I'm actually good with where it's going.

Second favorite is Doom, and Doom is kicking ass. Doom: Eternal was everything I wanted out of a sequel. Good ol' fashioned ultra-violence.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Preach!! Konami just IMMEDIATELY torpedoed Metal Gear the second Kojima left - gonna miss that franchise.

And as for Mario, you take that back! Super Mario 3D world was no Galaxy or Oddyssey, and it was a little easy at times, but it was a damn fun game with a lot of awesome powerups! Besides that, the multiplayer was some of the best fun to be had on a couch, anywhere!
this is an awful time for the Metal Gear series, it's in a spot where being on hiatus is probably the best option for it

also you just said it right there, 3d world was not the follow up to Galaxy that people were expecting, it was a cool game, but it's identity is just being a bigger version of a 3ds game, which in of itself felt like another version of the new super mario bros games
I'd even go as far to say that this game, Mario Maker, and Mario Kart 8 were the only good Mario games on the wii u (and I guess NSMBU, though I got bored w/ it quick), everything else was just....not, hence yeah, Mario was in a lull during the wii u era

no

every series I like or care about or at some point enjoyed has died, turn to ****, been transformed into something unrecognizable or generally ruined by modern gaming. I don't have any faith in gaming period anymore and expect things to just progressively worse. kind of like everything else.

Zelda - Happy with the BOTW & it's sequel, want to know more, MORE!

Pokemon - TBH enjoyed SwSh much more than S&M based on not having to stop and talk to Lillie every 5 minutes. Also the mystery dungeon remake is amazing so hopefully Time&Darkness will be remade the same way.

Mario - Odyssey was incredible, Let's-a-go

Xenoblade - Gimme that definitive edition, 3 days!

Ace attorney - Fingers crossed, usually have a few years in between releases, still have hope

Fire emblem - 3 houses was amazing, gonna keep me going for a while, hoping for more DLC, no concerns

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
I think generally most of them are in a good spot (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, GTA to name a few), though the notable ones that aren't necessarily in a great place would be Metroid (only 2 releases since Other M, with Federation Force being meh and Samus Returns being good although just a remake and not as good as AM2R, although hopefully Metroid Prime 4 will manage to revive the series) and Pikmin (Hello? Nintendo? Where is Pikmin 4???).

Quin

Disaster Master
Yeah. there were going downhill for a bit, but the latest entries for Monster Hunter, Zelda and Smash have been some of the best if not the best in the series.
Now if only some other of my favorite series, like Starfox and panel de pon would follow suit.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom