• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are you open about Your Liking of Zelda?

Are You Open about Liking this Series?

• Total voters

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Ok, so I know that this thread doesn't have much do do with the games, and has more to do with us as people, but I think it's appropriate here anyway.

Are you open about liking the Legend of Zelda series? Have you ever been mocked for liking it?

I know I try not to be very open on video games, because where I live, it's all about XBox and Playstation, and any thought of Nintendo is pretty disregarded. In fact, I try not to talk about video games at all outside of my family.

Are you the same? What's your reasoning behind your choice?

Im open about it. Wear the merch have some shelves filled and buy the consoles for the games.

People mock me all the time and its annoyong but i dont care they mock me for other things too, Zelda is just something else to add to the list.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I'm always confident to call myself a Zelda fan. No reason to hold it back. It's usually one of the first games that I mention when people ask me what I play.
Of course, I also mention liking Sonic in that same breath, so maybe I'm a little more open than most people :P

I was more open about it I think, in like, middle school when everyone thought I was weird for liking it? But then after the 25th anniversary, it suddenly was cool to like Zelda and now there's a bunch of merch so I usually just let my t-shirts speak for me, and if someone asks I guess I can be like "yeah i like zeldora." Went to some blockparty today because I was kind of forced to, but some dude complimented my 8-bit lonk shirt, so yeah... shirts speak for me. I don't really talk to people enough to really verbally express myself anymore.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Only time I had a weird time with being a fan was when I would leave out the LoZ part of Twilight Princess, cuz Twilight was a big deal then and they thought it was some weird video game to do with that. I would be like no it's a Zelda game. Other than that I am pretty open about it and I even have shirts I wear. Currently wearing Team Fish.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Very open. I have no reason not to be. When I was in school, a lot of the little sh*ts there thought they were cool because it was either Playstation or Xbox and later on, it was all about Call of Duty. I didn't care though. I said what I like, and I'd defend it, and trash them for being ignorant. As people have gotten older, I feel they've been a lot more okay with being diverse in their games though. At least my friends were and some of them weren't really that big into gaming but they still played other stuff that wasn't just Call of Duty. There was even this guy who I didn't know but kind of hated who I later became friends with because we both liked Zelda.

Night Owl

~Momentai
I never had a reason not to be. Sure, a lot of my friends would get into arguments about whether playstation or xbox was better.
I'd always chime in "and I'm over her with my <name of nintendo console> perfectly happy" to which theyd chuckle and start talking about different games or other stuff.

Of course I tended to hang out with other nerdy kids, so its not like I ever faced a time where i was ostracized for liking games.

Unfortunately gaming in general has gone too mainstream and has become "cool"; now If I wear zelda t shirts, i get comments like "cool thats from that game where that zelda guy turns to a wolf" and I die on the inside a little. I miss the days when liking this kind of stuff meant others would leave me alone.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Before high school, yeah like hell I was. I had a very high opinion of the games so I was also very adamant about liking them, to the point that some of the (surprisingly infrequent) mocking I got might kind of sort of have been because of that. I'm not very open about it anymore unless it comes up in conversation, which doesn't happen often since I'm not one to talk much about myself in general. In fact, even writing posts here, despite the possibility that everyone is probably not that distant to me in the things I like, has me read over everything several times and asking myself if I'm saying too much.

Kinda, a little. I rarely talk about games though, and when I do it's usually about another series.

funnier6

Courage~
I'm not very open about it, but some way or other everyone knows, it's probably the 25th anniversary posters in my room but idk how everyone knows about that. O-O

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
"HH, what are you listening to?"
"It's video game music, from Zelda."

"Is that a Blue Moon shirt?"
"No, it's a mashup from a video game called Zelda."

When I think somebody might actually know the series:
"That's a cool ring tattoo, does it mean something or is it just a design?"
"It's a pattern from my favorite video game series, The Legend of Zelda."

This is an exchange my wife had with her friend when we first started dating:
"I kind of like someone, I think we might go out."
"Really?! Who is it?!"
"Okay, don't judge me, it's Hyrulian Hero."
"Hyrulian Hero? But he likes Zelda."

So apparently people know.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Yep I'm very open about it and don't feel ashamed of it. If I see anything Zelda related (like a Link figurine) I'll happily buy it and tell everybody who ask about it that I'm a very proud Zelda fan. Most people know and they like it. I never had any childish reaction or ever been mocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom