• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are you ok with making Link a customizable character?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I'm not ok with it. Whilst I enjoy the kind of RPG that allows that sort of thing such as Dragon Age, Skyrim and Fallout. Zelda is not such a series. Link is a character of his own with his own motivations and personality. His personality and character is that of a good natured hero, you can't play as an evil link who murders human nps who get in his way and that is just a part of what keeps the feeling of Zelda, it's a heroic adventure.

Link also has a certain look to him which is instantly recognisable as link even though different art styles and different ages are used across the games. To change that would not be a good thing. He's an iconic character just the same as Mario and should retain his signature look with some slight variations each time.

I guess I'd ask what traits Link really carries that aren't common to almost every video game protagonist. He's brave in that sort of generic way and he's... male. Those seem to be his most defining characteristics.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I think the general look of link is too well established that I don't know if this would go over well

if it were a separate main character that we can customize and isn't called link then it'd work out better, but either way zelda isn't that kind of series

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I guess I'd ask what traits Link really carries that aren't common to almost every video game protagonist. He's brave in that sort of generic way and he's... male. Those seem to be his most defining characteristics.

I think a big part of it is his naivety and general innocence, even though he's been through a war he retains these traits due to memory loss in BoTW, however most war or battle hardened protagonists like Marcus Fenix or Geralt they have a much more weary disposition. Even Cloud Strife who has a similar appearance to Link in a way has a very different feel to him as a protagonist. I don't recall playing any other games where the protagonist feels like link.

If it's secondary things like hair and clothing, then sure, absolutely. But if we're going as far as gender or race, I'd prefer if they just go all the way and make a full blank slate RPG protag.

Last edited:

Stitch

AKA Patrick
I think there is some room for customization, but I think part of the fantasy of the series is playing as an elf in a tunic. Also the fact that the character is young is basically a necessity. Skin/hair/tunic color and gender can be adjusted without breaking the fantasy, but a 100 year old buff reptile man would ruin a core part of the series.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I think there is some room for customization, but I think part of the fantasy of the series is playing as an elf in a tunic. Also the fact that the character is young is basically a necessity. Skin/hair/tunic color and gender can be adjusted without breaking the fantasy, but a 100 year old buff reptile man would ruin a core part of the series.
Youd be playing as a lizardfos!!!

ArchAngel217

Spoonman, come together with your hands, save meee
In your head, in your head. Zombie zombie zombie.
No! Link as a customizable character??? If Link is customizable, he's not Link... I think if Nintendo wants to go for a customizable character approach, they should do it in Hyrule Warriors and NOT relate it directly to Link. Another way could possibly be having Link as a side/support character and letting the player customize a character to play as in the game itself, which would probably get a lot of hate. I wouldn't be mad at a hair-dying function, like the clothes dying in BotW, however.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I don't think we should be able to customize Link, although changing armor is perfectly fine. Maybe even changing hair style or something could be okay.

I think Link as an avatar of the player is not something completely pure. I think it's more that because Link his mute, we can better picture ourselves as him, but not that it's actually you as the hero. If that makes sense.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I don't think we should be able to customize Link, although changing armor is perfectly fine. Maybe even changing hair style or something could be okay.

I think Link as an avatar of the player is not something completely pure. I think it's more that because Link his mute, we can better picture ourselves as him, but not that it's actually you as the hero. If that makes sense.

Making the protagonist mute doesn't exactly make it easier for me to relate. I'm kind of a talkative prick. Without some semblance of choice in the interactions, I find the likes of stuff like the Baldur's Gate 3 protagonist far more personable and relatable than any Link.

20211018224938_1.jpg

Just look at that snazzy customized character and her dialogue options.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I'm of the mind that Link should either be a real player avatar that we can customize (gender includes), or be set in stone as a protagonist. Call him Link, keep his appearance static, and personify him. As it is now the player avatar stuff is just an excuse to justify lazy writing.
Breath of the Wild did pretty much exactly what you described as set-in-stone, and it did it pretty well, I thought. Even Age of Calamity did a good job having Link express himself through his behavior and expressions during the cutscenes. I'm fine with mute protagonists, they don't have to talk to convey their intentions. If they continue this trend, I won't have any complaints about not being able to make him a custom character.

That said, I'd still like to be able to customize Link's appearance. The armor system in BotW, especially being able to dye the armors, was super nice for me. I need that to keep being a thing. (also let me make his hair pink.) I can be content with that instead of full customization if they keep characterizing him like they did in BotW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom