• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are you offensive or defensive in RPG's?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
In most RPG's, especially turn-based ones, you have, with space in between of course, at times a very binary choices between offense and defense.

Go in guns blazing, mash attack. Use up all your powerful spells quickly, to make easy work of the foe.

Guard a lot. Use healing spells effectively, keep a cool head and strategize.

And everything in between. Of course, the greatest RPG strategist strive for balance between the two. But generally, what do you typically lean towards? And in which games?
Personally, I try to keep things on the offense side if it's turn-based combat, since I don't like turn-based combat and want the battle to be over quickly, haha. In Persona for example I make sure to stock up on nice shiny weapons and try to win battles in rush mode. On the other hand, I love building up defensive, intricate strategies in Final Fantasy XII and see them play out without having to worry about my team.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
It depends. In a game like Pokémon I'm the same as Spirit, load my team with attacks and smack my enemies until they break. In a game like Shadowrun I play more defensively, usually positioning my team as I want them before making my move and using cover a lot.

It's rare that I will make use of items and status effects in games. I tend to always think that any time I could spend poisoning/silencing/paralysing my enemy is time I could spend hitting their weak point for massive damage.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I've recently started to play Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King again, I'm still at the start of the game and only just reached Level 4, so far offense has been the better option, every time I've tried defensive strategy enemies hit me and get damage regardless. The only other Turned Based RPG I've played is LotR: The Third Age and I think in that one I tried to balance between offense and defense, and it worked well for over half of the game but I ended up getting caught in a battle where a character is seperated from the party and had to fight the Witch King of Angmar along with 2 other Nazgul and it was too hard, I tried everything possible for that battle with no luck.

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
I go in all guns blazing!

This will make Pokemon players cry, but when I play a Pokemon game every Pokemon I have all have attack moves and nothing else. If I'm not doing damage then I'm doing it wrong!

That extends to every RPG I play. Damage, damage, damage.
I’m the same way with Pokémon games! Never have any defensive moves. Always on the offense, Pokémon games or otherwise.

I'm usually offensive. I don't tend to be patient enough to use status moves unless an offensive attack inflicts a status condition. I've been trying to be a little more strategic in the games I've played recently, but I generally prioritize offense. A weird exception I can think of is that I Am Setsuna had this great status buff that would nullify all physical damage received for many turns (it was called Ice Wall iirc) which I used on a lot of bossfights because it helped me just stay offensive after casting--didn't have to worry that my tendency to tank was going to kill me, especially since the bosses hit so hard in that game.

Quin

Disaster Master
Usually offensive, but thats thanks to growing up with pokemon, since those games aren't balanced at all, atleast not for an ingame playtrough. Defensive play doesn't get rewarded at all and the best way to play is to just use your strongest attacks.

After playing some better Turn Based RPG's I actually learned to use my brains and not just try to rush things, for the boss battles atleast.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
probably defensive w/ the "slow and steady wins the race" mentality, I used to be all about offensive when I was new to the genre but going in head first w/ minimal defense wouldn't get me too far, though this could vary depending on the game

It depends on the game.
In games with the holy trinity of tank, heal and dps, I prefer to be the tank. But in most RPGs I just have most of my party offensive with one dedicated healer to back them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom